I'D RATHER GO SLOW THAN NOT GO AT ALL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-13-2017
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baylensmanfl View Post
thought for the day!
Always a pleasure to witness a well executed lane change.

And, of course, who would not love the opportunity to be a little bit afraid of that car? In fact, I think I remember overhearing my wife advising our three daughters one day. I'm pretty sure she was warning them to never get involved with any man who tried to tell them that he was not interested in the '13 and '14 GT500. Such a man would be poor husband material indeed. I suppose this means that I may be a bit of a disappointment but I'm still hopeful that one day I can make her proud.

Nice picture and all the best.

2014 Gray Mustang

post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-13-2017 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Well the old saying goes something like.
Id rather drive my car to its limits than have the car limit my driving!!
Old Goat Ninja likes this.

I'D RATHER GO SLOW THAN NOT GO AT ALL

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-13-2017
GT Member
Classic Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Grimbrand
Not exactly a Mustang story, but still Ford related: We used to have a '78 Ford Fiesta when I was a kid. Ghia. Unlike many of them, this one was reliable, and actually pretty fast for its time. When we were late to my uncle's wedding rehearsal, I recall Dad driving down a deserted Kansas road with mom, my sister and I at speeds I'd never experienced before. Mom was furious about it, but he was determined to get there quick. As he came over the crest of the hill, there was a Highway Patrol Officer coming up the other side.

Dad didn't wait to see if the police officer would put on his lights, he just pulled over and waited. Mom was doing a not-so-slow burn, and us kids were quiet as mice in the back seat.

The officer came up and asked, "Do you know how fast you were going?"
"No sir, my speedometer only goes to 80."
Dumbfounded, the officer asked, "Why were you going so fast?"
Without missing a beat, Dad said "Because my car won't go any faster."
"Well, I clocked you doing 115 MPH. Now I didn't believe that little car would go that fast, so I clocked you again, but you were already slowing down, and by then, you were only doing 87, so I'm going to give you a ticket for 87 MPH. Do you know what would happen if a deer ... no... if a large dog got out in the road in front of you?"

Even as a seven year old kid, I knew the officer was right, but at the same time, I was amazed by my Dad. He's a man who always owns up to his mistakes, speaks plainly about how he feels, and can find humor even in the blackest situations. While any of us can see that he shouldn't have been going so fast that day, including him, he will always be my hero.
UUUd444 and Old Goat Ninja like this.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-13-2017
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimbrand View Post
'78 Ford Fiesta when I was a kid, Dad driving down a deserted Kansas road with mom, came over the crest of the hill, there was a Highway Patrol Officer coming up the other side.

The officer came up and asked, "Do you know how fast you were going?"
"No sir, my speedometer only goes to 80."
Dumbfounded, the officer asked, "Why were you going so fast?"
Without missing a beat, Dad said "Because my car won't go any faster."
"Well, I clocked you doing 115 MPH. I'm going to give you a ticket for 87 MPH.

I was amazed by my Dad. He's a man who always owns up to his mistakes, speaks plainly about how he feels, and can find humor even in the blackest situations. While any of us can see that he shouldn't have been going so fast that day, including him, he will always be my hero.
Great example to his kids by an obviously great Dad! You are a lucky guy. And I'll bet now you set the same example.

Bye the way, If your dad had been driving the Shelby in the OP's picture, he would have been going about 160. I'm sure he would have still manned up and pulled over. That kind of guy. The difference would have been that the officer would have asked for his autograph instead of issuing a ticket.

Good story and all the best.
Grimbrand likes this.

2014 Gray Mustang

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-13-2017
MACH I Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Yep.....dump the clutch and let er rip tater chip. It's a great cure for what ails you.
Grimbrand likes this.

08 GT 5spd
Spectra CAI, Comp Cam Detroit Rockers, Kooks headers w/catted H-pipe, Revolution Automotive dyno tuned, FB430 race mufflers, 3.55s, JLT catch can, BMR Lca's and relo brackets. Prothane motor mounts and sway bar bushings.
20% tint, smoked markers and tail lights w/sequentials. Clear front signal covers, series 3 chin spoiler.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-13-2017
PONY Member

Grimbrand inspired memories. I've always had fast cars, or bikes (rarely both at same time). I have a heavy foot (or wrist). I have A LOT of ticket stories. My favorites:

On my 2007 Honda CBR1000RR. Pulled over in town just after work making my way to freeway. Motorcycle cop was parked with radar waiting for someone like me. Gives me a speeding ticket. The conversation during ticket was great though. He asks how fast I've gotten my bike up to. I replied 55mph. He got a good chuckle and said no, if I wasn't a cop. I said 179 mph indicated. I tried several times for 180, but never made it. He says wow, my bike (police bike) tops out at 118 mph. I said man, you shouldn't of told me that. He got a good laugh out of that (genuine). I still got a ticket though.

In my 1992 Toyota MR2 Turbo that I bought new from dealer (showing my age). I was on my way to work, and where two freeways merge I was flying in my freeway. Probably a good 120 mph or more (I was young and dumb). Cop on merging freeway lights me up as I drive past. I pull over. He's a little mad. I give him my license and registration and he goes back to his car. Few minutes go by and now he's absolutely livid as he walks back to my car. His face is beat red. He's so mad. I think oh no, I'm done for. He SCREAMS as he THROWS my license and registration back at me. He says "YOU'RE LUCKY I FORGOT MY TICKET BOOK!!! SLOW DOWN!!!"Hahahaha, I laughed so hard as I pulled away.

Coolest cop ever. Riding the CBR1000RR again. I pull out of a housing tract, and take off FAST. I'm probably doing 90 on a city street before I let off throttle and cruise to upcoming traffic light. Make a right, and a cop lights me up. I pull over. He walks up and says get out of here. What? He says everyone saw me see you, so I had to pull you over. lol, awesome!
UUUd444 and Grimbrand like this.

2014 Mustang GT Premium 401a; "Now you can add Premium to your signature." - Thereaper
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-13-2017
PONY Member

I guess if we're all admitting how dumb we were back in the day I might just have the odd story as well.

It's the late 80's and the wife and I are driving the Coquihalla highway in British Columbia on a trip to visit the in-laws for the first time since getting hitched. I'm understandably a bit tense. And you know what relieves tension really well when you're driving with your gal?

Ha ha...you were thinking some sordid act while driving, weren't you? NO. That's not it.

Anyway, we're in an '86 911 Turbo and up beside us cruises a Yamaha FJ1200 (at the time the fastest bike on the road!) He looks in and we thumbs up each other. He makes some generic 'Let's do this thing' gesture and it's on. I may have jumped the start a bit but that was fair because he was so fast. We cruise side by side up to 168 mph on the speedo and my needle hits a pin stop. The tach gains another 800 rpm after this. I have no idea how fast we got to but I know those gauges read high so not as much as I'm making it sound here. We are still rocketing and he's one-handing it as he drives a foot from my side mirror. Thumb on his left hand is up still. Geeeez..... I get so afraid he's going to go down that I can't take it any more and I let off.

We coast down in speed and over a hill. You guessed it. The law.

We get waved over and one cop to me, the other to him. 120 mph+, says the lady officer. My wife is not impressed. The other cop comes over and tells me to take it easier the rest of the way. No ticket.

Why, you ask? It turns out the bike driver was also a cop and he got us a free pass. Interdepartmental unwritten freebie rule shared at the time between golf pros, bartenders and cops is what I was told.

Needless to say I learned my lesson that day. I have never raced an FJ1200 since. Nor have I ever turned down a tilt with a police officer since there is absolutely no danger to myself, the public, my opponent or my pocketbook as clearly there is nothing illegal in this. Note: This may not be the case in America where different rules may apply, so don't do this in America.

By the way, this was by no means a 'race'. I believe he just cruised along with me and that he could have left at any time. It was just a spirited bit of driving by a couple of dudes enjoying the open road. I do not advocate racing on the street as it could possibly be dangerous or illegal or both (depending on where you live).

For anyone who has driven the Coquihalla highway you know it's impossible not to speed. It's so open and inviting. But anyway, a belated sorry for being such a dumba.ss.

All the best.
Grimbrand and Old Goat Ninja like this.

2014 Gray Mustang

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-13-2017
MACH I Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
I actually tried to race a cop and didn't know it was one of our finest.
It was 4am, at a red light and dark. 2 lanes at the light that merge to 1 lane down the road. I'm the only one at the light except for the car behind me. Light goes green and I leave like a normal commuter. Apparently it wasn't fast enough for the guy behind me. He decides to floor it, and go around me to get to the lane merge first. That maneuver happens a lot on this stretch of road.
Usually I let them go but that morning it just rubbed me wrong. I dropped a gear and floored it. I hear him get on it but he couldn't get any further than my rear quarter panel. Right then I see flashing and I think it's lightening. WRONG!!
I took my foot off the gas and he kept going. He never let up. His lights were still on as he crested the hill about a mile ahead and disappeared.

08 GT 5spd
Spectra CAI, Comp Cam Detroit Rockers, Kooks headers w/catted H-pipe, Revolution Automotive dyno tuned, FB430 race mufflers, 3.55s, JLT catch can, BMR Lca's and relo brackets. Prothane motor mounts and sway bar bushings.
20% tint, smoked markers and tail lights w/sequentials. Clear front signal covers, series 3 chin spoiler.
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandGT View Post
I actually tried to race a cop and didn't know it was one of our finest.
It was 4am, at a red light and dark. 2 lanes at the light that merge to 1 lane down the road. I'm the only one at the light except for the car behind me. Light goes green and I leave like a normal commuter. Apparently it wasn't fast enough for the guy behind me. He decides to floor it, and go around me to get to the lane merge first. That maneuver happens a lot on this stretch of road.
Usually I let them go but that morning it just rubbed me wrong. I dropped a gear and floored it. I hear him get on it but he couldn't get any further than my rear quarter panel. Right then I see flashing and I think it's lightening. WRONG!!
I took my foot off the gas and he kept going. He never let up. His lights were still on as he crested the hill about a mile ahead and disappeared.
Hahahaha. Love that one, mostly because I travel on a similar style road on a regular basis, and it's always the people that drive slow that want to go around before the merge, so I floor it too.

2014 Mustang GT Premium 401a; "Now you can add Premium to your signature." - Thereaper
MACH I Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Yea, I counted my blessings THAT morning. Lol. Id love to be able to talk to him or her about that encounter.

08 GT 5spd
MACH I Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Enjoy what you got.
Grimbrand likes this.

08 GT 5spd
MACH I Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
F&$£ garage queens. Lol
Grimbrand likes this.

08 GT 5spd
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandGT View Post
I'd swear I've run into this guy at the gas pumps.

130 total pounds of Pitbull ruled by 8 pounds of cat.
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Thought for the day?

I think it was Richard Petty who said when asked about taking it easy as an old man "When I go through the Pearly Gates I wanna be goin' 200 miles an hour, backwards, with my hair on fire."

Grimbrand likes this.

130 total pounds of Pitbull ruled by 8 pounds of cat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page