All-Terrain Truck Tires - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018 Thread Starter
SHELBY GT 350 Member

I’ve been looking at all terrains and there are way too many choices. It seems like there’s not one that’s all that much of a 50/50 jack of all trades tire. They’re either good on the street and meh in the dirt or vise-versa. (The drag radial of the off-road world..)
The BFG Ko2’s seem to be popular. But I’ve read accounts on how they suck in the rain so that’s a no go. Does anyone have one they’d recommend? Ice and snow are mostly a non issue. But rain handling and a set that don’t scream their azzez off going down the hwy are pretty high on the needs list.
Mud and dirt would be the all the off-road obstacles that’d need conquering.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018
Administrator
Classic Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I've had BFG All Terrains and Nitto Terra Grapplers and been very happy with both. I think the BFG's wore better but I liked the performance of the Nitto more, I would not hesitate getting either one again but lean a little more towards the Nitto.

Engine mods - all stock, trust me, wanna run??!!!
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018
PONY Member
4.6L Member

I have Firestone Destination ATs on my '03 F250 (6.0 4wd). They are the best "compromise" tire I've had on it so far...pretty good in sloppy stuff at the farm, but I'm careful where I go with it acknowledging all the weight I'm carrying. Last year, I used it to travel to Texas and back...highway performance is very good...minimal noise. Mine are 285/75-16s on the factory wheels...no lift...so abt as big a tire as the wheels and height can accommodate. I cannot speak to the longevity yet as my truck tires typically rot due to exposure before being worn out.

Underestimate me, that will be fun.
GREEN WORM RACING--since 1959

These are my opinions...YOU are responsible for YOUR decisions and YOUR outcomes...AND, my not arguing with you does not indicate agreement with your opinion.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018 Thread Starter
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Cooper View Post
I've had BFG All Terrains and Nitto Terra Grapplers and been very happy with both. I think the BFG's wore better but I liked the performance of the Nitto more, I would not hesitate getting either one again but lean a little more towards the Nitto.
No problems on the hwy in rain?
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormsedge View Post
I have Firestone Destination ATs on my '03 F250 (6.0 4wd). They are the best "compromise" tire I've had on it so far...pretty good in sloppy stuff at the farm, but I'm careful where I go with it acknowledging all the weight I'm carrying. Last year, I used it to travel to Texas and back...highway performance is very good...minimal noise. Mine are 285/75-16s on the factory wheels...no lift...so abt as big a tire as the wheels and height can accommodate. I cannot speak to the longevity yet as my truck tires typically rot due to exposure before being worn out.
I’ll check ‘em out. They’d be going on a half ton.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018
Administrator
Classic Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90lxwhite View Post
The Nittos seem to do better to me but it may be because the BFGs were a harder tire that wore really well.

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018 Thread Starter
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Quote:
The Nittos seem to do better to me but it may be because the BFGs were a harder tire that wore really well.
I like nitto’s. I have a couple sets of nt555’s on the cars now.
Do the nitto’s have a white letters out option?
PS
I hope the Cowboys don’t stink.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-22-2018
Administrator
Classic Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
PS
I'm not sure if they have a white letter option, mine were just black lettering. As far as the football season goes if the NFL continues to not take control of their kneeling thugs I'm done with them.
Dana W likes this.

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-22-2018
GT Member

Garage
Ive got Nitto terra grapplers on my f250 and couldnt ask for a better tire. They are 35" and have just a slight hum at 80mph. Rain and dry handling are both great. I havent gotten them in mud yet, though. As far as I know these are only black letter tires.

Now, an all terrain that will surprise you (especially for the cost) is the Hankook Dynapro ATM. They have a nice tread pattern and work really well all the time. I have the on my excursion and have had a set on my company truck for a couple years now. Handling is great, Ive had them in mud/rain/ice and never been let down, they are quiet and smooth, and Ive had mine for roughly 80k miles. They are due to be replaced now. They still have some tread but they spin pretty easy in the rain, never scared me as far as handling though. These have white letter too.

Either one of these two would make you happy, Im sure.

1998 GT
Rebuild in the works. New crank, 2013 Boss rods, srp .020 over flat top pistons with valve reliefs, 12:1 compression, ported pi heads, comp xe278ah cams.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018 Thread Starter
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Quote:
PS
I'm not sure if they have a white letter option, mine were just black lettering. As far as the football season goes if the NFL continues to not take control of their kneeling thugs I'm done with them.
I know, me too. They took the fun out of it.
Dana W likes this.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018 Thread Starter
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwarrior1016 View Post
Ive got Nitto terra grapplers on my f250 and couldnt ask for a better tire. They are 35" and have just a slight hum at 80mph. Rain and dry handling are both great. I havent gotten them in mud yet, though. As far as I know these are only black letter tires.

Now, an all terrain that will surprise you (especially for the cost) is the Hankook Dynapro ATM. They have a nice tread pattern and work really well all the time. I have the on my excursion and have had a set on my company truck for a couple years now. Handling is great, Ive had them in mud/rain/ice and never been let down, they are quiet and smooth, and Ive had mine for roughly 80k miles. They are due to be replaced now. They still have some tread but they spin pretty easy in the rain, never scared me as far as handling though. These have white letter too.

Sweet. I’ll keep the dyapro in my back pocket. My bro in law has nitto ridge grapplers on his Chevy 2500. He says he likes them alright, but they’re pricey.
Hankook $145 https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tir...m-rf10/p/10819
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018 Thread Starter
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwarrior1016 View Post

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Yl_j2RZEchI
GT Member

Garage
Quote:
Sweet. I’ll keep the dyapro in my back pocket. My bro in law has nitto ridge grapplers on his Chevy 2500. He says he likes them alright, but they’re pricey.
Hankook $145 https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tir...m-rf10/p/10819

I really like the nitto tires but a big down side is the price. They are quiet and smooth, havent really tried them out yet, though.

Quote:

Those hankook's are no joke, especially for the price! They balance really well and they have a really nice ride. They are quiet too. I havent had any complaints at all about these tires. I recommend them to everyone.

I like that video to. Surprisingly these things do well for an all terrain.

1998 GT
Rebuild in the works. New crank, 2013 Boss rods, srp .020 over flat top pistons with valve reliefs, 12:1 compression, ported pi heads, comp xe278ah cams.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-24-2018 Thread Starter
SHELBY GT 350 Member

[QUOTE=lwarrior1016;9202299]
Quote:
Hankook $145 [URL]https://www

I really like the nitto tires but a big down side is the price. They are quiet and smooth, havent really tried them out yet, though.

Quote:

Those hankook's are no joke, especially for the price! They balance really well and they have a really nice ride. They are quiet too. I havent had any complaints at all about these tires. I recommend them to everyone.

I like that video to. Surprisingly these things do well for an all terrain.
Yeah man, I’m digging the hankook prices.
PONY Member

I've used all the popular tires on the market, since I've been an avid four-wheeler for over 20 years. In my opinion, the best A/T tire currently on the market is the Falken Wildpeak A/T3W.

Here are a sample of others that I've used that did very well:

BFG KO2
Cooper AT3
Hankook Dynapro ATm
Goodyear Duratrac
Toyo Open Country AT

Here are the ones I wouldn't buy again:

Nitto (often referred to as Shitto) Terra Grappler
Firestone Destination A/T

2003 Mach 1 - TR3650 - Ford Performance aluminum shaft - Mac O/R H-pipe - Airbox modification - 17% tint

Gone but not forgotten:
2001 GT auto in Zinc Yellow-Flowmaster mufflers - Pypes O/R H pipe-Eibach Sportline springs/Koni STR.T shocks-AMR wheels w/ 315/35 MT Street Comps-FR 3.73s-Blankenship Performance tuning-Steeda Under-drive pulleys-BBK CAI-AcuFab 70mm TB
GT Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlloyPony View Post

Here are the ones I wouldn't buy again:

Nitto (often referred to as Shitto) Terra Grappler
Firestone Destination A/T

Would you please tell me why you wouldnt use the terra grappler again? Everyone rants about these tires, and Ive been happy with mine but I havent done much with them yet.

1998 GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page