Any of y'all have a crossover for a family hauler? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-14-2016 Thread Starter
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Any of y'all have a crossover for a family hauler?

I'm on the market to replace my wife's 07 Expedition and we're leaning towards a "midsize" crossover vs another expedition, Tahoe, etc, mainly due to the price point of those and we really don't need a 7 passenger rig. I'm looking to stay under $40k and I'm not opposed to used as long as there's plenty of warranty left. She likes bells and whistles and I'm more into not having a crap performer. What's the way to go? Oh cheesy are the awd systems? Is it worth opting for? I'll never see snow but I may see a dirt road now and again and possibly a beach trip? What do y'all like?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-14-2016
Rookie

I bought a top of the line Sorento a few months back. I love it. I got the V6 but I also had the 4 turbo for a week and would not hesitate to get one of those either.

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-14-2016
Apprentice

My wife has a Mercedes GLK350 (now called the GLC, because of their renaming), which is a little more SUV than CUV, but it's based on the C-Class chassis. Overall, it's really nice, for a crossover, but I'm not that big of a fan of them, to begin with. We looked at the ML, which would be out of your price range, and it was MUCH nicer. The 3.5L V6 is strong and pulls hard, and while mine is RWD, the AWD versions have basically the same system as the C-Class, which my wife had prior to this one. It handled GREAT in the snow and rain, but since we live in SC now, there was no point in spending the extra coin. Oh, they also offer a Bluetec diesel, which I would have purchased, had they had one in stock.

That said, the GLK350/GLC300 will be a little more than $40k (I just kitted one out with NAV and an exterior styling package with RWD at $47k), but they're great vehicles. You could probably pick up a leftover or a CPO for less than $40k. Maintenance can be a little pricey, but we usually just roll a maintenance package into our lease for like $8/month.

JR

2016 Race Red GT Premium Fastback - Performance Package, Navigation, Enhanced Security Package, Ebony Premier Trim

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-14-2016 Thread Starter
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacknifetoaswan View Post
My wife has a Mercedes GLK350 (now called the GLC, because of their renaming), which is a little more SUV than CUV, but it's based on the C-Class chassis. Overall, it's really nice, for a crossover, but I'm not that big of a fan of them, to begin with. We looked at the ML, which would be out of your price range, and it was MUCH nicer. The 3.5L V6 is strong and pulls hard, and while mine is RWD, the AWD versions have basically the same system as the C-Class, which my wife had prior to this one. It handled GREAT in the snow and rain, but since we live in SC now, there was no point in spending the extra coin. Oh, they also offer a Bluetec diesel, which I would have purchased, had they had one in stock.

That said, the GLK350/GLC300 will be a little more than $40k (I just kitted one out with NAV and an exterior styling package with RWD at $47k), but they're great vehicles. You could probably pick up a leftover or a CPO for less than $40k. Maintenance can be a little pricey, but we usually just roll a maintenance package into our lease for like $8/month.

JR

I wouldn't really be able to do a lease because we'd probably blow the allotted mileage way outta the water. My folks are 3.5 hrs away and her's are 2.5.

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-14-2016
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90lxwhite View Post
I wouldn't really be able to do a lease because we'd probably blow the allotted mileage way outta the water. My folks are 3.5 hrs away and her's are 2.5.

Yeah, we're over mileage right now, but still have a year plus to get back under. I think we're about 2k miles over, but it's her second Mercedes lease, and they typically forgive the mileage overages if you re-up for a new vehicle at the end of your lease. We got some nice incentives when we swapped her C300 for the GLK350.

That said, the cost to buy wasn't that bad, she just gets bored of vehicles very quickly.

I think that her next vehicle is going to be a Jaguar XF. She's not loving the CUV experience, and since we only have one kid (and don't plan on having any more), we'll likely go back to a car. We're planning on getting a boat in the next couple years, so I'll have to buy an SUV or truck to tow it, and we can throw the dog in that, when we need to.

JR

2016 Race Red GT Premium Fastback - Performance Package, Navigation, Enhanced Security Package, Ebony Premier Trim
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-14-2016 Thread Starter
SHELBY GT 350 Member

I wish 4 door half-ton trucks weren't inching on $50k, that's what'd I'd rather get. Who ever imagined half-tons would break the $50k mark!? Sucks..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-14-2016
SHELBY GT 500 Member
5.0L Member

Garage
I kinda dig on the Flex myself. Sure it has somewhat interesting styling, but my old boss has an AWD Ecoboost and hauls his boat around without breaking a sweat, plus I've never heard him utter a negative word about it.

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-15-2016 Thread Starter
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85andstillalive View Post
I kinda dig on the Flex myself. Sure it has somewhat interesting styling, but my old boss has an AWD Ecoboost and hauls his boat around without breaking a sweat, plus I've never heard him utter a negative word about it.

Ecoboost f150?

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-15-2016
Rookie

I'm probably headed in the opposite direction as you as my kids are getting big and the crossovers were getting to small. Just dropped a huge amount of money on the 2016 Expedition Limited.

I have had a number of crossover sized vehicles since about 2003. Chrysler Pacifica, Toyota Highlander, Ford Flex, and Ford Explorer.

The flex was by far my favorite, I upgraded on a whim to the Explorer, but I liked the flex better as far as size/feel. It and the Explorer are about equal on the inside, it's more style/looks at that point.

Both had good acceleration/move and were very easy to drive in the mountains (Appalachian). I only drove the Explorer in the Rockies.

The Flex is lower to the ground than the Explorer if that is important (wife is 5'2) and the flex got slightly better gas mileage (weight of car).

If you like Ford beyond the mustang, I'd recommend looking at both of those. 2011 or onward would be my recommendation.
PONY Member

Garage
Maybe a little smaller than you're thinking but we are well pleased with our Toyota Rav4. Surprisingly roomy inside and, 25-30 MPG isn't hard to take either.

-Jeff-
Ventura, CA
2013 GT Premium Brembo
MGW, Blow Fish, AM Hood Struts
Tinted, Borla Touring AB, ProCal Tune
Full Shelby/Kicker Audio Upgrade
Rookie

I like my CX-9. Handles more like a sport sedan than a CUV and carries tons of stuff. 20" wheels on higher models ride a little harsh but make up for it in handling, if that's important. Saw a comparison where they put more in the back of a CX-9 than a Flex. Might be due to sliding 2nd row but still surprised. Has 3rd row if you need it too.
Rookie

I've been rolling a 2012 Flex Limited for the last 4 years. Our family has gone from 2 kids to 3 since we bought it and my 2 oldest and I all play hockey. It is finally beginning to feel a bit small only because of hockey gear and baby car seat, but when I don't have to carry anything other than wife, kids, and extra diapers it is perfect. I am currently in the market for a truck for myself, but the wife will be permanently driving the Flex as soon as I buy a truck. It has plenty of space, power, and accessories to make traveling with the family comfortable and convenient.
GT Member
Classic Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Garage
I picked up a '15 Nisan Rogue this past summer 4cyl AWD auto sirius XM Great SUV very roomy too the 4 of us (adults) fit nicely.

The rear seat backs recline/fold down. best MPG thus far is 38.5! on a 300 mile round trip to NW Il.

besides what I had typed in the beginning of the post it also has remote start/front/rear view camera/Lane Departure assist/heated mirrors Power lift gate.

The AWD is fantastic!! A few weeks back when we had all the sleet I had no problems getting home from work

The price of the Rogue was't bad neither 28k out the door (tax/title and lic)

"ONX PNY"

2009 MUSTANG (45TH Aniversary) premium w/pony package.
AUTO, Leather, IUP, Kenwood DDX393/Speakers
A.M Bullitt wheels W/custom center caps
RAXIOM RETRO'S Black turn signals/Tinted rear bumper lights cobra Roadster hood that's functional and many other mods

Yes I know my user name doesn't match my car color

1966 coupe 289 2V C code factory BENCH/P/S
Rookie

Garage
I am on my 4th Ford Edge AWD with all the bells and whistles..I drive 35K a year and half the year it is in deep snow and ice...Edge is a perfect 5 person vehicle and it will get 26 MPG on highway with V-6 and AWD. It is comfortable, safe, good ride, and has outstanding reliability. Opt for NAV and Sunroof and LTD or Platinum level and you can get a tow pack as well-which I use for bike rack, carry rack, etc....you can't go wrong!
Rookie

Garage
FYI-You can buy up on miles with a Ford lease-I buy 30,000 a year on a two year lease...if you don't use the miles, you get a rebate at lease end.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page