Help Me Ronda: Holman-Moody Built Cammer Up For Grabs - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 12-30-2017 Thread Starter
AllFordMustangs.com Homepage Feed

Help Me Ronda: Holman-Moody Built Cammer Up For Grabs

Gas Ronda was one of the pioneers of the Funny Car, and this 1966 Mustang is his first. Now it’s going to auction and if could be yours. Ronda wanted a Funny Car in 1965, to compete with Dodge and Plymouth entries. Ford told him they would give him one for 1966 if he finished … Continue reading Help Me Ronda: Holman-Moody Built Cammer Up For Grabs

The post Help Me Ronda: Holman-Moody Built Cammer Up For Grabs appeared first on AllFordMustangs.

Gas Ronda was one of the pioneers of the Funny Car, and this 1966 Mustang is his first. Now it’s going to auction and if could be yours.

Ronda wanted a Funny Car in 1965, to compete with Dodge and Plymouth entries. Ford told him they would give him one for 1966 if he finished 1965 in the less radical A/FX class. He finished the year and this is the car Ford gave him. A 1966 Mustang that’s been very, very stretched.

Out of the box, it ran in the eights. Until a friend’s accident made him tune it back to run more safely in the nines.

This car was built by Holman-Moody, the race team that put Ford at the leading edge in NASCAR. But in 1965 and 1966, the team built drag racers for the Blue Oval. This was the first of six built.

Under the fiberglass hood–the whole body is fiberglass, actually–is a 427 cubic inch Ford Cammer big block. The massive overhead cam V8 that was banned from NASCAR but delighted on the drag strip. Behind that is a three-speed automatic that could stay in one piece where the four-speed stick couldn’t. It runs nitromethane and hit trap speeds of 174 mph when it raced.

This car won the 1966 AHRA Championships. Later, it was renamed the Lady Bug and was raced into the 1970s. It was later found, restored, and is now going up for sale.

[Source:Mecum]

The post Help Me Ronda: Holman-Moody Built Cammer Up For Grabs appeared first on AllFordMustangs.

More...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: