The Bullitt Mustang is Officially the Most Expensive Mustang Ever Sold - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By my89foxbody
  • 1 Post By Beechkid
  • 2 Post By pikapp
  • 1 Post By FuelforFire87
  • 1 Post By my89foxbody

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020 Thread Starter
AllFordMustangs.com Homepage Feed

The Bullitt Mustang is Officially the Most Expensive Mustang Ever Sold

The 1968 Mustang GT used in Bullitt sold for $3.74 million at this weekend’s Mecum Kissimmee auction. That’s the most anyone has ever paid for a Mustang, according to the auction house. The car, thought lost for many years, came back into the public eye early in 2018. Although there were two Mustangs used for … Continue reading The Bullitt Mustang is Officially the Most Expensive Mustang Ever Sold

The post The Bullitt Mustang is Officially the Most Expensive Mustang Ever Sold appeared first on AllFordMustangs.

The 1968 Mustang GT used in Bullitt sold for $3.74 million at this weekend’s Mecum Kissimmee auction. That’s the most anyone has ever paid for a Mustang, according to the auction house.

The car, thought lost for many years, came back into the public eye early in 2018. Although there were two Mustangs used for filming, this one was the Hero car—that is, the one used for slower shots that was treated well, as opposed to the stunt car, which was abused.

Although just how the world lost track of the car is a bit of a mystery, because by all accounts nobody was trying to hide it. In fact, the family who brought it back into the public eye owned it since 1974. Back in 2018, Sean Kiernan said that his mother used to drive it to work every day and that his dad bought it out of the classified section of a Road & Track.

Steve McQueen even tried to buy it back from the Kiernans at one point, but they wouldn’t let it go. They did nearly let it go to ruin, though. By the ‘80s the car wasn’t running and had garagitis.

Fortunately, the Kiernans got to fixing it back up and the car became a father son project. Sadly, Robert Kiernan, who bought the car in ’74, never got to see the car get back on the road. His son Sean, though, says that when he eventually summoned the courage to finish rebuilding the car, it was like therapy.

The car wasn’t fully restored, though, and still bears the patina of its years, just like McQueen always wanted.

Letter from Steve McQueen to Robert Kiernan Since its debut back into society, the Bullitt Mustang has gone on tour with Ford and even sat on the National Mall in Washington.

The car itself started life as a 1968 Mustang GT before being modified for the movie. It has a 390 V8 with a four-speed manual transmission. It was debadged for filming and also had its suspension beefed up to make sure it could handle jumping around the streets of San Francisco.

The post The Bullitt Mustang is Officially the Most Expensive Mustang Ever Sold appeared first on AllFordMustangs.

More...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020
GLOBAL MODERATOR
5.0L Member
S197 Member

$3.74 million? I pass.

----------------------------
2012 Mustang GT, Roush 2300 Black
2006 Mustang V6 Manual Legend Lime Sold
2019 Charger Scat Pack White
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 060 GBNF
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 059 Sold
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by onez st View Post
$3.74 million? I pass.
lol
Beechkid likes this.

2014 GT Premium, Track Pack, Barton shifter, Borla S-type exhaust, Resonator delete, 3.73 gears, Airaid C.A.I., 93 Race Tune, JLT Oil Separator

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020
BOSS Member

It just keeps proving - "Something about a fool and their money"...…..Hmmmmmm...glad for the family though!
ONEZ ST likes this.

:hello:
Member: Never trust a person over 40 who drives a Chevy club
Flatheads ain't so bad!
Certified backyard mechanic I & II
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020
MACH I Member

Garage
Mom used it as a daily driver and to her it was just a used car. Amazing.....
ONEZ ST and Beechkid like this.

IF MY CAR WENT AS FAST AS THE MONEY I SPEND ON IT, I'D WIN EVERY RACE
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020
PONY Member

A car that should be worth $10,000 max and was used as Steve McQueen's personal fartbox sells for 3.74 Million. That's one hell of a profit, lol.
ONEZ ST likes this.

2014 Mustang GT 6R80, Procharger Stage 2 D1SC, BBK 85mm TB, Boss IM, Sai Li fuel system. Circle D 3C, 1-7/8" Kooks Long Tubes w/Offroad X Pipe, Lethal Over-Axle Pipes, Corsa Quad Axle-Back, Eibach Pro System Plus, BMR K member, Shaftmasters DS, Forgestar CF-5 Wheels and Nitto NT05 tires. Lund Tuned

Lots of suspension goodies and some other stuff I can't remember.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Reading the letter Steve was a bit of a jerk, I guess they forgot about the deal lol
ONEZ ST likes this.

2014 GT Premium, Track Pack, Barton shifter, Borla S-type exhaust, Resonator delete, 3.73 gears, Airaid C.A.I., 93 Race Tune, JLT Oil Separator
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020
GLOBAL MODERATOR
5.0L Member
S197 Member

McQueen, was a little snide in the letter. However, he's been gone for quite a while. Apparently none of his kinfolk tried to buy it since he died.

----------------------------
2012 Mustang GT, Roush 2300 Black
2006 Mustang V6 Manual Legend Lime Sold
2019 Charger Scat Pack White
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 060 GBNF
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 059 Sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: