Like Tree7Likes
  • 4 Post By baylensmanfl
  • 2 Post By Old Goat Ninja
  • 1 Post By UUUd444

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-12-2018 Thread Starter
PONY Member

not a kill but an observation.

I've commented before on paying attention and knowing your car and the road will give you more wins than speed alone. the same can be said for avoiding tickets, PAY ATTENTION TO OTHER CARS!!!!
Going down the slab early a.m. is a ritual with me. I look at everything especially cars. I refuse to use my phone when driving either the car or the bike. So today I'm tooling along at about 10 over the limit, there's a few cars with me not really a pack as we are kind stung out but all with in site of each other. Ahead of me say 1/4 mile or so there is a set of motorcycle taillights and the distinctive rear look of a late model Stang. I don't see brake lights but suddenly there getting closer quicker, so i dump the throttle and the bike slows to 55 MPH, as i'm now 100 ft or so from the other two. Several members of the pack whip out to the left lane and blow by us, right into the waiting arms of the morning speed patrol, as we wheel by, i count 7, thats right SEVEN cars pulled over waiting their turn with the man with the ticket book at 5:25 a.m. What a way to start the work week. $100+ ticket points maybe traffic school depending on your history. I know on my last ticket is was over $250 for the fine and the school to avoid the points and getting reported to the state and my insurance company ( i think i had 7 days to complete both school and pay the magistrate)

Ordinarily i'd blow by a slower car on that section of road, i've rides side by side at well over 85 MPH with others cars and bikes on the very stretch of road more than a lot of times!! Something just made me think hey if that fast mover and the Stang, shed some speed maybe i should to. I'd be willing to bet that several of the people waiting for their tickets were snuggly congratulating themselves on passing the rest of us.

I'D RATHER GO SLOW THAN NOT GO AT ALL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-12-2018
PONY Member

Yup, agree. I speed, a lot. I have a problem, I know. Fast cars, fast motorcycles, I'm just dumb like that. In my 20's, I was same way, just dumber about it, and got a lot of tickets. A LOT. Now I am WELL into my 40's, I'm not any slower than I was in my 20's, I'm just a lot smarter about it. I haven't received a ticket in years.... Sure hope I didn't just jinx myself. Anyways, the reason I think now is I'm a lot more aware of my surroundings. I have hundreds of thousands of miles of experience now haha.

UUUd444 and Cygnus like this.

2014 Mustang GT Premium 401a; "Now you can add Premium to your signature." - Thereaper
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-12-2018
PONY Member

Ha ha. Isn't it great to actually get smarter as we get older? (If only it worked that way with everything we do....)

I know as a young fellow I got lots of tickets. Fought about a half dozen in court every year and never was suspended. But, still wasted plenty of time and money. Didn't mind getting into the odd accident, either. Not technically 'my fault', but definitely avoidable.

About 15 years ago, had two photo radar tickets delivered in the mail THE SAME DAY. I was so mad at myself that it finally became worth it to never have it happen again. No tickets or anything else since.

Funny thing is that, like you chaps, I drive as fast as ever. With a car quite a bit faster than back in the day, too. It's true. You don't really need to slow down to avoid tickets and crashes. You just have to do it smarter. (I have a brother who gets photo tickets that cost in the thousands each year. He just thinks of it as part the cost of his 'Porsche hobby'.)

Not that I'm recommending law breaking or anything. Don't speed if you don't have to. But don't be late for a tee time either!

All the best.
Old Goat Ninja likes this.

2014 Gray Mustang

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-13-2018
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Goat Ninja View Post
I'm not any slower than I was in my 20's, I'm just a lot smarter about it.

I'm another one that wised up as I aged. Thankfully I grew up in a racing family and relieved "most" of my need for speed at the various drag strips up and down the east coast.

Now that I'm 48, I pay strict attention to where I blow the dust off the car and still on occasion hit the track when the desire for really letting loose hits me.

Steve

2013 Sterling Grey GT premium convertible
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
cars pulled over w c

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page