New Tires and Wheel hop fixes - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008 Thread Starter
Apprentice

New Tires and Wheel hop fixes

Hi Everyone,

Well, I finally installed the new adj shocks front and rear (Koni Sport Yellow Struts and Shocks) and the BMR Lower Control arms and the wheel hop problem is improved but still there. (See previous post on wheel hop). The ride is now much rougher even with the shocks dialed all the way to soft but it is WAY more controlled. However my tread is on the rears is below the top of the Lincoln memorial on a penny so I now I think I need new tires to finally solve this problem.

My first question is...Will new tires help the wheel hop problem? Or, put another way... Will almost worn out tires make wheel hop worse? Also will worn out tires make the car ride much rougher. My GT500 has 64k miles on it and I did not know how many miles were on the tires when Ford Testing sold me the car with 50k miles on it already. It is possible they are the origs but unlikely. Seems like they would have burned off several sets during the tests but maybe if the car was just looped on the track for 50k miles they are the origs? (I put new tires on my 05 Mustang GT before I sold it after 50k miles, to get the GT500, and the new stock tires rode about the same as the worn out ones. However the GT500 is a completely different animal that the 05 Mustang GT!)

Second question is "Which New Tires" to put on my GT500?

Thanks everyone! The people on this forum are the best!

MSB Mustang / Mark

PS - My vibration noises in the dash display meters are back with the new shocks and BMR LCA's. My isolated display fix worked with the old shocks but not with these new changes. Nothing is ever as simple as it seems!

07 GT500 Tungsten, SVT Build #12 from Ford testing grounds. SCT XCAL3 stock tune, J&M Products UCA / LCA's, Koni Yellow adj shocks front and rear, K&N air filter. 73k miles thus far!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008
Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
I doubt very much if tires will be your wheelhop solution.

1965 Mustang Coupe
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008 Thread Starter
Apprentice

I feel that you are correct about that but since mine are close to bald I need ones anyway and I was just looking at the BFG g-Force T/A KDW's. Any thoughts on those or any other replacement tires for a GT500?

07 GT500 Tungsten, SVT Build #12 from Ford testing grounds. SCT XCAL3 stock tune, J&M Products UCA / LCA's, Koni Yellow adj shocks front and rear, K&N air filter. 73k miles thus far!

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008
Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
I like the Nitto 555s. They hook up very nice. Did you also replace the upper control arm?

1965 Mustang Coupe
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008
PONY Member

I doubt bald tires would make wheel hop worse. infact I think tires with tread that grab are more likely to create wheel hop. You might consider adjustable upper control arms to experiment with angles. Also urithane bushings to tighten things up. As for tires i haven't had the luck the other fellow has with the 555r's but maybe your roads are better and your climate is warmer.

97 Cobra w/T56, alum DS, SPEC111 clutch, 4:10's, T&J Performance Forged 4v(8.9:1), Manley H-beams, Novi 2000 (21psi w/ 2.7'' pulley) Fast Track A/A I/C, Accufab 1696cfm TB, modified intake, Blow-through meter, Barry Grant Fuel syst., longtubes and H-pipe, 40 Flows, MSD ignition, Detroit True Track, 315 NT01's on 17 x 11's, 640 RWHP.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-10-2008 Thread Starter
Apprentice

The wheel hop seems to be worse now that I tuned the new Koni adj yellow shocks to full soft and lowered the tire pressure to 33psi. I put the yellow adjustable Koni Shocks front and rear and BMR lower control arms. I did not do the upper arms.

The card does handle better now but rides much rougher and hops worse! It hoped at the top end of second gear today! Very frustrated. The dealers are worthless for this problem.

I just set the rear shocks for middle setting instead of full soft. Maybe soft makes things bounce more?

Could anything else make this car not be able to do a decent burnout without hoping? My 05 GT never had any of these problems. Maybe my shifting technique sucks?

Thanks everyone for your help with this.

Mark

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page