2007 Mustang GT500 Clutch Failure - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Rookie

Just in case some one out ther needs the info the TSB number for clutch drag and sticking is TSB#08-16-4 and they do replace the clutch and some times some trans internals.
from what I hear is that even the super snakes are suffering it seems to start around 13000. miles but can happen any time best guess is that there is not enough venting so they over heat the clutch in traffic and they start to stick .

Cars of my Past:'13 Focus ST(300hp/325trq)
'13 Mustang GT Track Pack, Recaros,Torsen(440hp)
'74 Detomaso Pantera (300hp)
'07 Parnelli Jones Saleen Mustang (425hp)
'08 GT500 (645hp)
'67 GT500 clone (500hp)
'87 Mercedes 2.3 16 (250hp)
'76 Turbo Cosworth Vega (250hp)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

PowerGT500

I ordered the same clutch, but the local dealership refuse to install it. Are you installing it yourself, if so I need some info. I've replace on in a older, how much of a difference is it. Where can I get a repai manual for the GT500? Derrick 706-615-6529
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit012 View Post
Hi!
I am changing my clutch also, but i have roughly 20K miles. I am not going with the Ford twin disc clutch, but with the SPEC Twin disc setup. It has a larger holding capacity than the stock clutch and costs only $1399. You could order directly from SPEC, they have good service.

Ralf

Clutch Issue

I have a 2008 Shelby GT500 and the clutch started to slip. I have 20k miles on it and the dealer told me it would not be covered. They quoted me a cost of $3,000. Called Ford Customer Service and they were no help. I even tried showing the Service Manger the TSB that relates to this problem. Still no help. Does anyone have any ideas that would help me to get this covered?
Also if I do have to replace on my own, would it be better to go with the SPEC twin clutch?

Mark

Site Sponsor
S197 Member

Did you inform them that you know of the TSB and that they had to stop production 3 times on these cars? I've been hearing this a lot lately and I'm really not happy they are not dealing with this issue like they should.

Shellee Kallas
Powerhouse Racing and Performance
6332 Lee Ann Lane
Naples, Florida
United States, 34109
(239) 596-1845

Clutch Issue

I showed them the TSB, but did not know they stopped production three times. I've been dealing with the Service Manager. The owner is in on Monday, I'll let him know...Thanks

SPEC clutch

Did you get the SPEC clutch installed? How do you like it?
Site Sponsor
S197 Member

Love the new clutch. I had it in my Red one but it's now a AOD. We have it in our White one though and it's like NIGHT and DAY in difference.

You can always try a different dealership as well. That's what I did on my first swap..yeh..I went through 3 of them all covered from Ford.

Shellee Kallas
6332 Lee Ann Lane
Naples, Florida
United States, 34109
(239) 596-1845

Ford paying for my clutch

After the dealership turning me down along with Ford Customer Service, I thought I would have to end up paying for a new clutch. I called the owner last week and told him what I found out, on the internet, concerning the GT500 clutch issues. He told me to bring my car back in and he would take care of. I'll get my Shelby back tomorow!

Thanks for all the great info...it really helped!
Site Sponsor
S197 Member

That's great news!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm so glad they are taking care of it for you!

Shellee Kallas
6332 Lee Ann Lane
Naples, Florida
United States, 34109
(239) 596-1845
4.6L Member
S197 Member

GT 500 clutch chatter

I've also got a 2008 GT 500, about 9100 miles on it. I started getting clutch chatter around 3000 miles. Is Ford aware of this problem and are they covering it under warranty? I will try the test you mentioned a couple of posts back, but wondering about warranty issues.

My 2008 Dan Gurney Saleen Mustang was recently towed into ford with clutch problems. they replaced the throwout bearing, clutch, pressure plate. they said the throwout bearing failed, all warranty covered. Just got the saleen back after 1 month in the dealer.
4.6L Member
S197 Member

I too have clutch chatter on my '09 GT500 with only 3500 miles. I had the dealer look at it and their response was "it's perfectly normal". I really doubt it but what's the real story?
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot604 View Post
I too have clutch chatter on my '09 GT500 with only 3500 miles. I had the dealer look at it and their response was "it's perfectly normal". I really doubt it but what's the real story?
The real story is, that unless your GT-500 was built sometime after mid-September of '08, you probably have the flywheel that's been known to warp. Mid September '08 is when that flywheel was changed from nodular iron to steel, with a different design. You also have a ceramic lining, twin-disc clutch, and it will hiss when letting it out, and shudder/grab some, especially when cold. I live with it, knowing that the pedal is relatively light, for a clutch that copes well with 500 foot pounds torque.

'08 Bullitt -Highland Green
'09 GT-500KR -Black/Black

Rookie

Well I have some problems that will be met with some surprise but anyway...I am having these problems (TSB reported issues) both before and after installing a new Fidanza twin disc clutch setup. I am not sure if the problems were present before and have caused the transmission to continue to act this way but now I have a new clutch assembly that I have personally installed twice and continues to have the exact issues defined: creeping in first gear or reverse, absolutely hell to put into first and needing to shut engine off for reverse, hissing, chattering, etc...
Derek

2008 GT500
Rookie
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT500Girl View Post
Man..I feel your pain. There's other threads on here about clutch issues...you can read my whole story. Anyways there has been a issue with these clutches etc. Especially with the first 1000 or so that were put out. I'm on my 3rd clutch, shifter and 2nd tranny all covered under warranty. I race mine like you wouldn't believe. They know that..the clutch guy was taking pics of me at the track right after they replaced it the second time. lol I'll see if I can find the thread for you really quick. Shellee

Here ya go

https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...-is-toast.html
I have a friend who has a 2007 . He told me a couple of weeks back that his clutch is slipping . Car has approx 20,000 miles . Is there a " Call back " on these cars regarding the clutch . How should he go about approaching the dealer with this issue . Thanks for any help .
GT Member

All reasons I decided against a GT500. You pay that kind of money, Ford ought to have some respect. Guess not. They are pretty good at addressing issues on the standard GTs and V-6 Mustangs though.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page