Stock tire pressure for GT500 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-23-2008 Thread Starter

Stock tire pressure for GT500

I recently bought a set of take-off GT500 wheels and tires for my 07 GT, and was wondering if anyone knows what the correct manufacturer's recommended tire pressure is for this tire/rim combo.

For the first two weeks, everything was fine, but now my "low tire pressure" warning light is going off. I am currently at 30 psi on all four tires, with no leakage since purchasing. Is this correct, or close?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-23-2008
GT Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR7GTVIII View Post
I recently bought a set of take-off GT500 wheels and tires for my 07 GT, and was wondering if anyone knows what the correct manufacturer's recommended tire pressure is for this tire/rim combo.

For the first two weeks, everything was fine, but now my "low tire pressure" warning light is going off. I am currently at 30 psi on all four tires, with no leakage since purchasing. Is this correct, or close?

Thanks in advance!
There isn't a "stock" tire pressure recomendation from the car company. Each tire has it's own recommended air pressure range printed on the tire itself.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tire.gif
Views:	8893
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	54092  

1984 Mustang 331 stroker
1990 Mustang 5.0L convertible
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-23-2008
MACH I Member

The same tire can be used on a variety of vehicles, so the tire pressure molded into the tire is a general value. The manufacturer's specifications take into account the specific vehicle and the stock tires, and supersede the tire pressure listed on the tire. As I recall, the factory tire pressure is 35psi for all 4 tires on the Shelby GT500.

2013 Boss 302 gotta-have-it green
2008 Shelby GT500 torch red with black stripes + sequentials
2001 Cobra mineral grey with 2003 Mach 1 shaker hood
1996 Cobra color-shifting mystic paint + sequentials

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-23-2008
GT Member

For a starting point, find a GT500 and look at the door jamb sticker. It probably says 32 psi F/R.

I run a couple extra in front, above the couple extra I run all around, because I like the slight improvement in response and predictability.

At the drag strip, the tire sidewall maximum in front, what works (4-6 under normal) in the rear.

For more lessons in tire pressure, including high-performance use, go to TireRack.com and find the tech pages. They indicate how much added pressure is useful for sustained high speeds, with given car weights and tire designations.

ADDED: 2014 GT 5.0A conv. black: electronics, comfort, security, CA plate (FLICK U); assembled 06-13-2014, delivered 09-25-2014; odometer today (03-21-2016) 4,321.5(--> DELETED --> 2013 5.06M coupe, black:: Odo LAST day (09-25-2014) 7,975) (--> DELETED --> 2008 GT/CS: Odo LAST day (10-22-2012): 9,719.3; #2075 of 2509 convertibles, #560 of 718 in Ebony. 2009 GT/CS: Odo last day (09-08-2012): 12,000.1; #34 of 1705 coupes, #3 of 377 in Performance White. <-- DELETED <--)
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-25-2008 Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies.............

Checked out a GT500 at the dealership, and the sticker in the door jam states 35 psi.

I geuss I now know why my tire pressure light was on.............
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-06-2008
PONY Member
2.3L Member

The 07's were the first year of the Mustangs to have the TPM system, and the your new rims and tires do not have the TPM module in them, you will have the low tire pressure warning,,,, If they did have the modules,,, you have to get the TPM monitoring system retrained to the new modules.

I have an 07 V6, and a month ago got a deal on some brand new 09 GT wheels, so my TPM flashes at me occasionally. Until i get the TPM system retrained, I'll be doing frequent pressure checks.

2007 4.0 V6 Mustang, Victim of Black Ice
1989 2.3 Fastback, traded for:
2011 3.7 Pony Package, Traded for:
2018 GT 5.0 Premium
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-07-2008
SHELBY GT 500 Member
S197 Member

The GT 500 sticker pressure is 35psi.

2011 GT Candy Red
07 REDFIRE GT Gone
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-14-2008 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac The Knife View Post
The 07's were the first year of the Mustangs to have the TPM system, and the your new rims and tires do not have the TPM module in them, you will have the low tire pressure warning,,,, If they did have the modules,,, you have to get the TPM monitoring system retrained to the new modules.

I have an 07 V6, and a month ago got a deal on some brand new 09 GT wheels, so my TPM flashes at me occasionally. Until i get the TPM system retrained, I'll be doing frequent pressure checks.
The rims/tires I bought were 07's, and I have an 07. For the first couple of weeks I had no warning light, than it came on. Re-checked the pressure, filled to 35 psi, and the light went out.

For the past few weeks, the light has come back on, and will not go out. The pressure is fine. I've even had a "TPM fault" message flash for a few days during this ( it's now back to the "low tire pressure" message ). Kinda frustrating.

How does one go about "re-training" the TPM system?
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-29-2008
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakine858 View Post
There isn't a "stock" tire pressure recomendation from the car company. Each tire has it's own recommended air pressure range printed on the tire itself.
No, that's not true. Each tire has a maximum PSI which will allow you to drive on it safely. Your car has a recommended tire pressure (usually 30-35 PSI) which is based on the weight distribution of the car to help the tire wear evenly. On all of the '05+ Mustangs you should have 35PSI in your tire unless you have some after market wheels with a 35 sidewall or smaller (in which case you should use about 40-45PSI)

207.0/218.4
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR7GTVIII View Post
The rims/tires I bought were 07's, and I have an 07. For the first couple of weeks I had no warning light, than it came on. Re-checked the pressure, filled to 35 psi, and the light went out.

For the past few weeks, the light has come back on, and will not go out. The pressure is fine. I've even had a "TPM fault" message flash for a few days during this ( it's now back to the "low tire pressure" message ). Kinda frustrating.

How does one go about "re-training" the TPM system?
Stop by your local Discount Tire store and simply ask them to reset your TPMS sensors and they will gladly do it free of charge.

207.0/218.4
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac The Knife View Post

When get new wheels for your car, if your old wheels had TPMS sensors in them they are supposed to take the sensors out and put them in the new wheels.

207.0/218.4
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Paul View Post
The same tire can be used on a variety of vehicles, so the tire pressure molded into the tire is a general value. The manufacturer's specifications take into account the specific vehicle and the stock tires, and supersede the tire pressure listed on the tire. As I recall, the factory tire pressure is 35psi for all 4 tires on the Shelby GT500.
You're exactly right. Do you work on tires or do you just read up on them?

207.0/218.4

Pressure varies

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnshepherd View Post
No, that's not true. Each tire has a maximum PSI which will allow you to drive on it safely. Your car has a recommended tire pressure (usually 30-35 PSI) which is based on the weight distribution of the car to help the tire wear evenly. On all of the '05+ Mustangs you should have 35PSI in your tire unless you have some after market wheels with a 35 sidewall or smaller (in which case you should use about 40-45PSI)
Actually, the GT jamb sticker recommends 32psi cold. V6s are 35psi cold.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page