2008 Mustang Shelby GT500, Please help! - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-15-2008 Thread Starter

2008 Mustang Shelby GT500, Please help!

Hi, I have a 2008 Shelby GT500 with 2,500 miles. Recently the clutch starting slipping. From a dead stop it would slip when floored and when you hit second same thing. Normal driving everything is fine. I took it to the dealer and explained the problem. They said leave it and they would check it out and fix whatever the problem was. They called me back in a couple days and said come a pick up the car. Said they road tested it and found nothing wrong. At this point I knew this was not going to be easy. DAH how come it does it when I drive it and now all of a sudden it has magically fixed it's self. They also said if i was unsatisfied that i could write to ford. I said I have a better idea. I'll be right over and the service manager can go for a ride with me. So this I did. I took him to one of the places near by that I knew it would act up and do what I said. I came to a dead stop, reved to 3 grand and poped the clutch and did a perfect burn out. Hit second and same thing. He said see I told ya so. I said let's try it again. Well the same thing happened. I said great what did you guys do to fix it. He said nothing. So it appeares it has had devine intervention. Yea right. After I took him back to the shop I went for a drive. To my suprise the car does not drive the same as when I took it to the shop. Before it had great traction. Now it seemed faster and had no traction. all it does now is spin when you push the gas just a little. even in 2nd and 3rd. It acts like they switched the rear gears. They insist they did nothing to it. Now the clutch has no chance to slip because the tires spin. Please help with your thoughts and ideas what I should do. Forgive my spelling and ask any questions about it's performance. Thanks guys

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-15-2008
SHELBY GT 500 Member

Maybe they retuned it.

AFM Site Administrator
2006 Tungsten Grey Mustang GT Manual.
Alpine H/U with Infinity speakers.
Powerhouse CAI and Tune.
Previous Mustangs:
1978 2.8 L, 1979 5.0, 1982 5.0 "HO", 1986 5.0 GT

Don't wait for tomorrow to look back and wish for today
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-15-2008
MACH I Member

Per page 24 of the GT500 manual, revving the engine and popping the clutch is not recommended and repeatedly doing so can void your car's warranty. Save and smooth starts are preferred at all times and can extend the life of the clutch.

2013 Boss 302 gotta-have-it green
2008 Shelby GT500 torch red with black stripes + sequentials
2001 Cobra mineral grey with 2003 Mach 1 shaker hood
1996 Cobra color-shifting mystic paint + sequentials

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-15-2008
PONY Member

It stinks when it is fixed and your not happy. Keep revving and popping and you will soon fix it back to where you started.

You may know tons about your car but my car only has 2k miles on it and I don't know much about it yet.

I will start with the easiest fix I know on this one. Could the clutch slip you are talkng about possibly be the Traction Control grabbing when you where shifting. And when you drove with the manager it was off. Though the TCS would reset back to on the next time you cycled the car off and on. I don't know how many further attempts you made at making it slip.

Thats all the help I could be.

Good Luck

08 GT Vert, Manual, PerfWhite, RedLeather, ClothTop, I-UP, ActiveAlarm, HID's, HeatedSeats, Scoop, Sirius, FoMoNav, 18"PolishedBullitt's, AmbientLights, GentexMirror(Electro/Comp/Temp/Homelink), JaegerFlaps, CPCHoodlifts, CDCWindDeflector, FRPPCAI/Tune, Shelby/Drake STB, JLTOilSep
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-15-2008 Thread Starter

Reving and dumping the clutch is not something I do all the time. Once in a while at a light or stop sign we all get into it. Is this not a race car and designed for it. I never touch the TCS. Always the same as when i start the car. Before it had great traction and lots of power. Now it has no traction.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-15-2008
PONY Member

You say that you can spin the wheels with the TCS ON. My car does not let me spin the wheels at all with the TCS on. I can only get the wheels to chirp with the TCS ON but as soon as they begin to spin, the TCS grabs. With the TCS OFF I can seriously spin the wheels in 1st and at 30 MPH I can get the car sideways in the shift to 2nd.
With the TCS ON you should not be able do anything more than a chirp.
Maybe your TCS has crapped out.

08 GT Vert, Manual, PerfWhite, RedLeather, ClothTop, I-UP, ActiveAlarm, HID's, HeatedSeats, Scoop, Sirius, FoMoNav, 18"PolishedBullitt's, AmbientLights, GentexMirror(Electro/Comp/Temp/Homelink), JaegerFlaps, CPCHoodlifts, CDCWindDeflector, FRPPCAI/Tune, Shelby/Drake STB, JLTOilSep
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-16-2008
SHELBY GT 500 Member
S197 Member

They probable bleed the clutch.

On another note, I'm glad I changed my avatar lately. I used the same one you are for two years and it might still be on a couple old forums

2011 GT Candy Red
07 REDFIRE GT Gone
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-20-2008
S197 Mustang Owner
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Send a message via AIM to hotshot
When i mess around and am ready to burn rubber, i always disable the traction control.

2007 Mustang GT Convertible Stage 0 E-Force #402 Supercharger, Brenspeed Tune (435/400), GT500 Fuel pump, Clutch Delete Option, Roush Front Fascia, Brembos, California Dream Hood, Qwitch latch flush mount hood pins, MRT Light Bar, J&M LCA's, BMR UCA, UPR catch can, 6000k, Pypes Bombs, Pypes X-pipe, Airbrushed Flame pieces under the hood, Clear corners, GT500 shocks , FRPP P-springs (rear), BMR Adj Panhard, E-Force engine covers
2012 Ford Focus SEL 5Dr with MyFordTouch, Auto-Park, 303A Package,

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-24-2008

wheel spin

I have an 08 vert and i can roast the tires off my car i get no wheel chirp and i never touch the stability control...so you can absolutly spin with the stability control on.....
Site Sponsor
S197 Member

This doesn't make any sense to me at all. The vehicle doesn't unleash all the power at first..but it doesn't take 2500 miles. It's like either something was restricted or they changed the throttle response in the tune. I surely wouldn't say they put new gears in. They don't want you having any gears in there but 3.31's. Anyways my GT500's are like that with traction on. They will spin..especially if you are bringing it up to 3000 and dropping the clutch. I can spin through all gears...or not. The car has a TSB for the clutch and tranny. You can check the bolts on the tranny to see if something has been done there. That would probably be your most likely culprit but you would think they would of told you that and it usually takes a few day for them to get those parts in.

Shellee Kallas
Powerhouse Racing and Performance
6332 Lee Ann Lane
Naples, Florida
United States, 34109
(239) 596-1845
Rookie
S197 Member

There is a TSB for your transmission and it sounds like you need to bring it into you dealer and talk to the service manager
What to tell the dealer about your clutch problem ? - Team Shelby Forum
Apprentice
S197 Member

When I purchased mine the dealership told me that the computer on board will not allow all of it`s potential until I put 5ooo klms on the car it is set by the factory that way to give the engine some braking in period time before all the horses are released.

Mike
Rookie
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by letnan View Post
When I purchased mine the dealership told me that the computer on board will not allow all of it`s potential until I put 5ooo klms on the car it is set by the factory that way to give the engine some braking in period time before all the horses are released.

Mike
More like 4-5 miles and like 20 starts. Then full power to keep you from killing yourself and keeping the lot boys from killing themselves
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page