GT500 Engine questions - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-18-2009 Thread Starter
Apprentice
S197 Member

GT500 Engine questions

Hi everybody...

just out of curiosity...what would you say are the safe boost limits of a stock GT500 block and internals??? Would a forged MMR, Sean Hyland, etc shortblock be stronger and able for higher boost levels??

Thanks

Black 06 GT Convertible - 8.5x19'' 245/40 and 9.5x19'' 285/35 - 5 speed, 3.55 gears - Steeda CAI - Xcal3 93Oct tune - Steeda axleback system - Steeda UDP - Ceramic Coated Ford Racing Shorty Headers - Eibach Pro Kit Lowering Springs - Billet LCA's - adjustable UCA - Panhard Bar -G-Trac Brace - Double Strut Tower Brace - Tri Ax Shifter - Hood Pins -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-18-2009
PONY Member
S197 Member

Well, what are your goals? I have the stock blower and at 12lbs I have 525 rwhp. I have seen TVS's at 650 rwhp pushing close to 700. I know a guy here in San Diego with the Whipple 3.4 right around 800 rwhp. They all are on the stock motor.

Osiris - '07 Shelby GT500 - Black
under construction
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-18-2009 Thread Starter
Apprentice
S197 Member

Well, I'm just curious about the differences, pro's and con's of a built forged stroker and a GT500 engine...if it's worth to spend a lot more money on a GT500 or just mod/customize a stock GT as the chassis is almost the same.

Black 06 GT Convertible - 8.5x19'' 245/40 and 9.5x19'' 285/35 - 5 speed, 3.55 gears - Steeda CAI - Xcal3 93Oct tune - Steeda axleback system - Steeda UDP - Ceramic Coated Ford Racing Shorty Headers - Eibach Pro Kit Lowering Springs - Billet LCA's - adjustable UCA - Panhard Bar -G-Trac Brace - Double Strut Tower Brace - Tri Ax Shifter - Hood Pins -

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-19-2009
Site Sponsor
S197 Member

I can tell you from experience I run 22 lbs of boost with 800 RWHP and it's safe. But say I was to hit it up to 6700 RPM's a few times. The bottom is gonna go. I've heard it from several others that have blown their engines doing this. I also run C16 in it. As far as I'm concerned the block could be better and I believe the pistons are a weak point. Mine I now run mostly race, some street.

As far as another block I would think it would all depend on how it's built. It also depends on your exact goals...meaning race only, street only, mostly street and race etc. Then if you are going to race will you road race or drag race. Several things to consider to get accomplish what your needs and wants are.

Shellee Kallas
Powerhouse Racing and Performance
6332 Lee Ann Lane
Naples, Florida
United States, 34109
(239) 596-1845
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page