GT500KR vs 2010 GT500 - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCW View Post
CzyHorse,

I would like to hear your comparison between the 2. They are listing the KR's for 64999.00. Of course, I will be looking to work a better deal than that. I would think because of the 2010 GT500 having the same spec's (HP/Tq) as the KR's and being at this point 15000.00 cheaper, it would be a no brainer to go with the 2010 GT500. Am I wrong??

PCW
This is going to be a long one and I am sure I will miss a few points but I will try to be as thorough as possible.

When I looked under the hood of a 2010 it had a different intake. I know its the same horsepower but I thought I would share that. Furthermore the KR comes with the 3.73 gears as opposed to the 3.55s the 2010's come in if I am not mistaken. The gears alone make the KR an unbelievable rocket.

They specifically spent time revising the suspension in order to turn a 1g turn. I believe they have not spent that much effort for the regular ones. It is a noticeable difference between the two as to how well they turna nd confident the car feels.

Furthermore, with the KR you get a collectible. Ya they are both Shelby's and I do not mean to detract from any of them but the KR gets sent to the Nevada plant to get finished in the actual Shelby factory.

You basically get a collectible for the price difference. In my opinion and most likely in the long run you will not be unhappy with the purchase. You get all the exclusives such as the hood, rims, and carbon fiber lip to name a few that are unaccessible to others. You can go to a car show and see a lot of gt500's but it is a sight to see the KR.

You can definitely do a lot more mod-wise for the money but keep in mind that there will be many more like it.

2005 Screaming Yellow V6 Mustang - 5 Speed Manual, In Dash DVD/Navigation, Eibach Pro Kit, 10" Black Stripes with 1/2" Pinstripes, 10" Sub Woofer with Sony Amplifier, 20" Foose DF-5 Rims with paint matched center pieces.

2009 Shelby GT500 - White w/ Red Stripes - Stock (For Now)

2008 Shelby GT500KR 40th Anniversary Edition - Stock (For Now)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

MACH I Member

For the same price I'd take a KR over a 2010 GT500 any day. At the price difference of $15K mentioned it is up to the individual if the limited production collectability and fabulous carbon fiber hood of the KR are worth the extra cost. (For sure the KR will be worth more down the road, though.) But keep in mind that to maintain its value, the KR should be left in stock condition. It would not make sense to have a KR converted into a SuperSnake, for instance. Extensive modifications would lower the value of a KR.

2013 Boss 302 gotta-have-it green
2008 Shelby GT500 torch red with black stripes + sequentials
2001 Cobra mineral grey with 2003 Mach 1 shaker hood
1996 Cobra color-shifting mystic paint + sequentials
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Paul View Post
For the same price I'd take a KR over a 2010 GT500 any day. At the price difference of $15K mentioned it is up to the individual if the limited production collectability and fabulous carbon fiber hood of the KR are worth the extra cost. (For sure the KR will be worth more down the road, though.) But keep in mind that to maintain its value, the KR should be left in stock condition. It would not make sense to have a KR converted into a SuperSnake, for instance. Extensive modifications would lower the value of a KR.
You can not convert a KR into a Super Snake. Shelby does not allow it. All you can get is the KR Upfitters Package.

2005 Screaming Yellow V6 Mustang - 5 Speed Manual, In Dash DVD/Navigation, Eibach Pro Kit, 10" Black Stripes with 1/2" Pinstripes, 10" Sub Woofer with Sony Amplifier, 20" Foose DF-5 Rims with paint matched center pieces.

2009 Shelby GT500 - White w/ Red Stripes - Stock (For Now)

2008 Shelby GT500KR 40th Anniversary Edition - Stock (For Now)

PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrzyHorse View Post
You can not convert a KR into a Super Snake. Shelby does not allow it. All you can get is the KR Upfitters Package.
I'm shopping for an '09 KR right now.. What's this "KR Upfitter Package"? Also, any idea what the new '09 KRs should be selling for?

'08 Bullitt -Highland Green
'09 GT-500KR -Black/Black

Rookie

I just picked up a new KR last week (08 with no miles and never titled) for mid 50s. I drove both the 2010 GT500 and the 08 GT500KR and there is no comparison. So, for $5k difference its a no brainer for me but everyone is different. My neighbor just picked up an 09 KR for $60k so KRs are out there for real bargains now. My dealer sold 4 of them last year for over $110k and he sold 3 of them last week for 55k to 60k. Go get one before they're gone!!!

The upfitter package is only available from Shelby for the KR and has some cosmetic and performance upgrades for about $18k. Its on the Shelby site. Good luck.
PCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulW View Post
I just picked up a new KR last week (08 with no miles and never titled) for mid 50s. I drove both the 2010 GT500 and the 08 GT500KR and there is no comparison. So, for $5k difference its a no brainer for me but everyone is different. My neighbor just picked up an 09 KR for $60k so KRs are out there for real bargains now. My dealer sold 4 of them last year for over $110k and he sold 3 of them last week for 55k to 60k. Go get one before they're gone!!!

The upfitter package is only available from Shelby for the KR and has some cosmetic and performance upgrades for about $18k. Its on the Shelby site. Good luck.

PaulW,

Can you explain "There is no comparison" what are the driving differences between the KR and 2010 GT500? I have a deposit on a 2011, but have my eye on a few KR's at a few dealers around me. I stop by every few weeks and they seems each time to be a little more willing to talk lower prices.

PCW
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCW View Post
PaulW,

Can you explain "There is no comparison" what are the driving differences between the KR and 2010 GT500? I have a deposit on a 2011, but have my eye on a few KR's at a few dealers around me. I stop by every few weeks and they seems each time to be a little more willing to talk lower prices.

PCW
Sure, I'm no pro though, but my impression was that the KR seemed a tad quicker. It has the 3.73 gears over the 3.55 of the 2010 which make a little difference but it seemed to be more of a difference than you would expect from just the gears. I've heard that the KR is underrated in its HP rating from the "factory" and some say it makes more like 570 hp (based upon some dyno tests of stock KRs that put down about 515 hp at the rear wheels). It also felt a little tighter and more solid than the 2010 but thats just my impression and I didn't flog either of them too much as I didn't own either one yet. I like the interior of the KR better too (but that is totally my personal preference). And, of course, I like the idea that my car went to Shelby's shop in NV to get pumped up, but only us Shelby nuts will care about that. Anyway, they're both great cars and it might come down to which one you can get a better deal on or which one grabs ya. You'll love either of them. Let us know what ya get.
PONY Member
S197 Member

Well, I've got an '09 in my sights and may sign on it today... A little higher priced than what some are saying here. This one's staying at $65K, unless I can get them down a little further on it. They'd started out a $71... At least it's a really pretty one that's been sitting in their showroom, rather than out in the sun like some I've looked at, but can get for a thousand less. I'll take the better protected one, I think. Please wish me luck...

MACH I Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldlugs View Post
At least it's a really pretty '09 KR.
I thought all KRs were one of four color combinations:
silver with blue stripes
torch red with silver stripes
vista blue with silver stripes
black with matte black stripes
Which one is "pretty" would seem to be a subjective opinion. Personally, I strongly dislike the silver with blue stripes (maybe some people like it just because it is a combination that was not available on regular GT500s and is therefore instantly identifiable as a KR). And, again in my opinion, while torch red with silver stripes is okay, torch red with white stripes is prettier and torch red with black stripes is spectacular. Vista blue with silver stripes is nice, but I like vista blue with white stripes much better. And the '07 GT500 was available in vista blue with tungsten stripes, which really was a cool combination in my opinion. The black on black combination is very cool and evokes the recent Knight Rider TV series car, but I wouldn't categorize that combination as "pretty". What color combination are you calling pretty?

PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Paul View Post
...What color combination are you calling pretty?
By "pretty", I meant one that's inside a showroom, and still gorgeous... Some I looked at were filthy, and had swirl marks all over. The one I bought is black/black... And it is pretty!

MACH I Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldlugs View Post
The GT500KR I bought is black/black.
Congratulations! Black with matte black stripes is my favorite KR combination. Very snazzy!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page