Need advice on exhaust for my 2009 Mustang GT500 Convertible - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009 Thread Starter
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Need advice on exhaust for my 2009 Mustang GT500 Convertible

Before I wasted any money, I thought I'd ask for some advice from everyone. My '09 GT500 Convertible is all stock, and the exaust is too quiet so I'm looking for something a little louder.... BUT, since it's a convertible I don't want it to be really obnoxious inside.. just a better growl and rumble that this car should have...

I've had friends say to buy the Ford FR500S, but I've read those are pretty loud...

What do you think?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009
Seahorse

Check out YouTube - many different examples on there for GT500 exhaust setups. Here's a clip of the same setup I'm going with:

YouTube - 08 SHELBY GT500 Technician's Road Test Departure

I currently have just the Magnaflow axleback and it's just too quiet still.

One additional note is to stay away from off-road (no cats) x-pipes as they are not only loud, but very raspy and tinny sounding.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009
PONY Member
S197 Member

sounds like a good set of axle-backs would work

Osiris - '07 Shelby GT500 - Black
under construction

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

i just put on 3" jba longtubes with 3" midpipe and cat back magnaflow and I really like it I havnt posted any vids yet bcuz i had my tonsils taken out last monday and have been recovering ill have it up by the end of this week tho... it all depends what youre looking for.. if you want growl and h and kr axel backs are all you need but if you want sumthing deeper u needa put the longtubes on then u needa make sure u get mid pipes with cats cuz if not u wolnt pass emissions.. if thats not an issue than id still recommend running highflow cats the car actually runs better with them on then none at all plus u run the car with no cats and its just tooo loud. if you are just looking to go exhaust and dont wanna touch the headers or mid pipe then you should know anything catback, youll hear a much bigger diffrence than axel back, except if u get the slp loudmouths they are deff the loudest exhaust youll find. I was running magnaflow axel back and the sound was good but was too quiet for me. anyways as soon as i get my vid up then ill post it here on this thread.. hope this helped

R.I.P. Baby Shelby GT '07 9/8/09

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
Abraham Linclon
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009
PONY Member
S197 Member

H-Pipe with KR mufflers definitely is one of the best sounds

2005 Screaming Yellow V6 Mustang - 5 Speed Manual, In Dash DVD/Navigation, Eibach Pro Kit, 10" Black Stripes with 1/2" Pinstripes, 10" Sub Woofer with Sony Amplifier, 20" Foose DF-5 Rims with paint matched center pieces.

2009 Shelby GT500 - White w/ Red Stripes - Stock (For Now)

2008 Shelby GT500KR 40th Anniversary Edition - Stock (For Now)
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009
Rookie
S197 Member

i had flowmaster for a while but it was to loud for my taste so i swithced to a dynomax and i love it guess it really depends on what u like
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-17-2009
Rookie
4.6L Member
S197 Member

I went with the Borla S, great axle backs for a coupe, but might be to much for the vert. They do have a milder version that might work for your app., great sound and great quality.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009 Thread Starter
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Thanks for all the good info. Do the Shelby's not come with an H-pipe from the factory? I hate to admit this, but I haven't looked underneath it yet! And by "KR Mufflers", does that mean the FR500's?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot604 View Post
Thanks for all the good info. Do the Shelby's not come with an H-pipe from the factory? I hate to admit this, but I haven't looked underneath it yet! And by "KR Mufflers", does that mean the FR500's?
The regular GT-500s have an X pipe, but you can cut it out, and install a bolt-in H in its place. Yes, the KR and FR500s muffs are the same. Before you put in the H pipe, try out the KR muffs with the X... If you want a deeper growl, then try the H pipe.

'08 Bullitt -Highland Green
'09 GT-500KR -Black/Black

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page