Problems with Tune of GT500 with Kenne Bell - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010 Thread Starter

Problems with Tune of GT500 with Kenne Bell

Hello Everyone,

I recently purchased a GT500 2007 with a stage three Kenne Bell supercharger and magna flow dual exhaust. Everything else (I think), is stock. I love the car, but here are the problems:

1. When I put the car in neutral and coast, the RPMS's fluctuate between 0 and 1000. Sometimes the car will turn off. If the heater is running, it will lose power in proportion to the car losing power. Other times, the RPMS's, while coasting, will shoot up to 1500-2000--only in neutral. When I come to a complete stop, the car will settle back to 900 RPM or so. I've had the car checked for vacuum leaks and they say it is OK. Kenne Bell says they have never heard of this problem. The original owner told me that he had the RPM problem--when it shot higher (he doesn't remember having the 0-1000 RPM problem, however), and he had to clean off the Throttle Body because condensation had built up. Eventually he replaced the TB motor. Something tells me, this isn't the problem. Kenne Bell is saying they can give me a new tune after I fill out a questionairre or something like that. I am working with a local performance shop guy who seems good but he said he has never worked on a car with this combination.

2. First and second gears are basically useless with the Kenne Bell Charger. I am thinking a set of drag/street tires on the back would help. Any recommendations? I was also told that when I do the back tires, I should also do the suspension and an upgraded drive shaft. Any thoughts?

Thanks--this is fun.

Chuck

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010
Rookie
S197 Member

I can't help you too much with the first problem.

But I can tell you traction is always going to be an issue with these cars, especially with the extra power of the Kenne Bell. Better tires (wider helps too) will definitely help as the stock tires are crap. I don't use any sort of drag radials on mine since its my daily driver. I use BFG KDW 2 which have done wonders. If you haven't already lower control arms and upper control arms (3rd link) will help the back end stick a little more and get rid of that nasty wheel hop. I used J&M parts and haven't had any issues. If you do any sort of racing or put on those drag/street radials the 1 piece driveshaft will be a good idea. With the kind of power you're making the driveshaft will most likely be the first to give.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010
SHELBY GT 500 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty431 View Post
Hello Everyone,

I recently purchased a GT500 2007 with a stage three Kenne Bell supercharger and magna flow dual exhaust. Everything else (I think), is stock. I love the car, but here are the problems:

1. When I put the car in neutral and coast, the RPMS's fluctuate between 0 and 1000. Sometimes the car will turn off. If the heater is running, it will lose power in proportion to the car losing power. Other times, the RPMS's, while coasting, will shoot up to 1500-2000--only in neutral. When I come to a complete stop, the car will settle back to 900 RPM or so. I've had the car checked for vacuum leaks and they say it is OK. Kenne Bell says they have never heard of this problem. The original owner told me that he had the RPM problem--when it shot higher (he doesn't remember having the 0-1000 RPM problem, however), and he had to clean off the Throttle Body because condensation had built up. Eventually he replaced the TB motor. Something tells me, this isn't the problem. Kenne Bell is saying they can give me a new tune after I fill out a questionairre or something like that. I am working with a local performance shop guy who seems good but he said he has never worked on a car with this combination.

2. First and second gears are basically useless with the Kenne Bell Charger. I am thinking a set of drag/street tires on the back would help. Any recommendations? I was also told that when I do the back tires, I should also do the suspension and an upgraded drive shaft. Any thoughts?

Thanks--this is fun.

Chuck
Take a ride up to Tillman Speed in Aston Pa just up the street from you and ask for CR. He'll hook you up. They have fix you up.

And welcome to AFM

2011 GT Candy Red
07 REDFIRE GT Gone

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010
Seahorse

Do you have the large monoblade TB? Have read on other sites of idle issues with that one which requires some experienced tuning to sort out.

P.S. yes, even stock traction is a big issue *L*
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010
Rookie

Check your MAF sensor. I've heard that if it's dirty you'll have idel problems.
What you might want to do is contact Evolution Perf. in Aston, Pa. There # is 610.485.3596 and they are only an hour away.
These guys are one of the Premier GT500 shops in the country.

Vic
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty431 View Post
Hello Everyone,

Thanks--this is fun.

Chuck
Chuck,

This is a common issue with the GT500 platform with aftermarket tunes and aftermarket throttle bodies. Give me a call and I would be glad to get the car on the dyno and provide you with a much more streetable tune for your low gears, as well as correct any idle-hunt issues on decel, coming to a stop, sitting, or cruising.

Chris Rose
Tillman Speed Inc.
Tillman Speed Inc. - Performance Since 1979

Tillman Speed Inc.
Custom Tuning | In-House Dynojet 224xLC
3344 Market Street • Suite C • Aston, PA 19014
Sales: (610)497-5776 or 497-3736
Out-of-State Sales: (610)497-3711
Service / Dyno: (610)497-9683
PREMIER DEALER: Edelbrock E-Force Supercharger Systems - Kooks Custom Headers - Magnaflow Exhaust Systems - MORE!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page