2007 Mustang GT500 Clutch Slipping - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie

2007 Mustang GT500 Clutch Slipping

I do not have the TRANSMISSION problem, just the slipping clutch! Local dealer would not cover anything--Another dealer would cover flywheel only,not the clutch. If I have to go with an aftermarket clutch and have to use the old splines on tranny, will doing so affect my clutch issue later on if I develope transmission problems

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010
Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
Not surprised that the dealer wouldn't warranty the clutch. You'd be better served to replace the clutch and flywheel together.

1965 Mustang Coupe
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

thats what im doing now Im replacing the clutch with a twin disc rst mcleod clutch with a aluminum fly wheel.. there are people saying that if you get to light of a fly wheel you will stall out on lights. supposively its so light that it has no energy to get going so if your coming off a stop light easy then it probably will stall but if your dragging then your gunning it off the line so its all good there. anyways take it into mind if you replace the fly wheel there are problems by getting it too light

R.I.P. Baby Shelby GT '07 9/8/09

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
Abraham Linclon

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010
GT Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandPasGT500 View Post
I do not have the TRANSMISSION problem, just the slipping clutch! Local dealer would not cover anything--Another dealer would cover flywheel only,not the clutch. If I have to go with an aftermarket clutch and have to use the old splines on tranny, will doing so affect my clutch issue later on if I develope transmission problems
Welcome to AFM.
Not sure what you mean by "have to use the old splines on tranny".
Your transmission input shaft splines are what the clutch attaches to and I do not see why that would get replaced.
When a person does a clutch job they, replace the clutch, pressure plate, throw out bearing, pilot bearing and resurface or replace the fly wheel.
Are you under the 3 years or 36k miles since you purchased it or does the GT500 not have that coverage?

1995 GT Mustang
Mildly built 5.0, Rebuilt T5 Tran., Dual Friction Centerforce Clutch, 3.73 Gears, 17" Cobra R rims, Cobra R hood.............
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010
Rookie
Classic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJon87 View Post
thats what im doing now Im replacing the clutch with a twin disc rst mcleod clutch with a aluminum fly wheel.. there are people saying that if you get to light of a fly wheel you will stall out on lights. supposively its so light that it has no energy to get going so if your coming off a stop light easy then it probably will stall but if your dragging then your gunning it off the line so its all good there. anyways take it into mind if you replace the fly wheel there are problems by getting it too light
If I were you, I'd go with the RXT versus the RST. I ran the RXT in my 2007 KenneBell'd GT500 and I loved it.

1965 Mustang Fastback
2010 Shelby GT500 Twin Turbo
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

seems to me like alot of ppl are having clutch problems with the GT500? I wish ford would send out these cars with a clutch that could handle the power

R.I.P. Baby Shelby GT '07 9/8/09

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
Abraham Linclon
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010
PONY Member
4.6L Member

my clutch is doing this to im going to take it to the dealership friday but i just bought the car and i got a record of everything done to it at the dealerships. the clutch was never done but about 2 or 3 tsb's did. also is sequential tail lights on a gt500 factory or is that an aftermarket that i lucked into lol.

07 shelby gt500 537rwhp 520 torque whipple 160mm throttle body, vmp 1.6 supercharge pulley, JLT intake, sct livewire tuner, brenspeed dyno tuned, sequentials tail lights, window tints, low jack, 2010 shelby black/white stripe seats.
02 gt convertable RIP.. to many mods to list...
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02gtConvertable View Post
my clutch is doing this to im going to take it to the dealership friday but i just bought the car and i got a record of everything done to it at the dealerships. the clutch was never done but about 2 or 3 tsb's did. also is sequential tail lights on a gt500 factory or is that an aftermarket that i lucked into lol.

Definitely an aftermarket thing...lucky

2005 Screaming Yellow V6 Mustang - 5 Speed Manual, In Dash DVD/Navigation, Eibach Pro Kit, 10" Black Stripes with 1/2" Pinstripes, 10" Sub Woofer with Sony Amplifier, 20" Foose DF-5 Rims with paint matched center pieces.

2009 Shelby GT500 - White w/ Red Stripes - Stock (For Now)

2008 Shelby GT500KR 40th Anniversary Edition - Stock (For Now)
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010
Site Sponsor

What about trying a 2010 shelby dual disk clutch?

Chris Centrella
Powerhouse Racing and Performance
6332 Lee Ann Lane
Naples, Florida
United States, 34109
(239) 596-1845
PONY Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to abahog
Black on Mystic Silver Stripe 07 GT500 Shelby

I too hate the clutch issues on the '07 Shelby. Have had all TSB's done within the last two weeks and still not satisfied with the changes. Stalls from full stop with 1200 rpms but seems to be better above 1500 rpms. This to me seems unacceptable for the 500 hps this car is producing.

I am also focusing on suspension for the car was set up with high performance non-street shocks, lowering springs and struts which produces a very loud metal sounding bang when driving on surface streets with small bumps or indentions.

I bought this car in 12/09 with less than 5000 miles which had some minor modifications to it and still working out little issues that will bring it back to a nice high performance street vehicle.

Any recommendations or stories will be appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page