need help! dealership is trying to not fix the clutch problem in my Mustang GT500 - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member

need help! dealership is trying to not fix the clutch problem in my Mustang GT500

ok so i finally had nice enough weather to take my car into the dealership to check out the clutch noise yesterday. now i bought the car just over a month ago to btw. i got a call today from the service guy and he says that the clutch is not covered under warranty and i would need to talk to the sales manager and he would patch me through i said forget it ill be there in an hour to talk to him....

so i come up to him and he starts saying its the ceramic clutch chatter and its normal. i proceed to go off on him in the showroom saying thats not it and its been doing this since i bought the car and since they wont let you test drive gt500s at the dealership how was i supposed to know before i bought the car... again he keeps saying its clutch chatter and normal...

i tell him if he is not going to fix the problem cause its not clutch chatter that i want my money back and he can keep the car cause i dont want it. he then says he can trade for another car... DOES IT LOOK LIKE I WANT A DIFFERENT CAR THAN A GT500!! i was so pissed. now the service guy is trying to help me out he is gonna talk to his boss tommorow about it all.

the symptoms of the problem are it sounds like the clutch is dragging and squeaking when i take off in first, it is more difficult than i think it should be shifting almost like you have to force it in gear. it just makes me so mad that i spend this much money on the car and they figure i will just spend 2500 on something that was wrong with the car when i bought it but couldnt test drive it to find out... any help on how to resolve this with the dealership is greatly appriciated!!

07 shelby gt500 537rwhp 520 torque whipple 160mm throttle body, vmp 1.6 supercharge pulley, JLT intake, sct livewire tuner, brenspeed dyno tuned, sequentials tail lights, window tints, low jack, 2010 shelby black/white stripe seats.
02 gt convertable RIP.. to many mods to list...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010
Banned
4.6L Member

I'd be talking to the Better Business Bureau, the Local News, an attourney and Ford itself...how could the clutch not be covered? Man I can't tell you how arrogant those service guys at Ford are...a common story, once again, it's why I bought an Infiniti when it came time for a new car...they treat you like a country club member if you ever need service...

post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member

im waiting to hear back from the service guy tommorow after he talks to his boss. im cool with him he is trying to help me as far as i can tell its the sales manager who is giving me grief. also i think the sales manager is a partial owner or brother of the owner cause the dealership is named tom wood ford and the sales manager is named kevin wood....

depending on what the service guy tells me tommorow i might go up there again tommorow and make a sceen in the showroom again and tell him if they wont fix it or take it back and give me all the money i put down on it back, im calling channel 6 news and talking to my lawer. cause really how hard will it be to win when ive drove the car less than 300miles and owned it barley a month...

07 shelby gt500 537rwhp 520 torque whipple 160mm throttle body, vmp 1.6 supercharge pulley, JLT intake, sct livewire tuner, brenspeed dyno tuned, sequentials tail lights, window tints, low jack, 2010 shelby black/white stripe seats.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010
SHELBY GT 500 Member

If the service manager is no help get the dealership manager involved. If that dosen't work ask to see the zone manager. They usually visit dealerships a couple times a week to check out problems like the one you having.
I had a crack in the floorboard in my 86 and the zone manager had to ok the repair.

AFM Site Administrator
2006 Tungsten Grey Mustang GT Manual.
Alpine H/U with Infinity speakers.
Powerhouse CAI and Tune.
Previous Mustangs:
1978 2.8 L, 1979 5.0, 1982 5.0 "HO", 1986 5.0 GT

Don't wait for tomorrow to look back and wish for today
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcfrisch View Post
If the service manager is no help get the dealership manager involved. If that dosen't work ask to see the zone manager. They usually visit dealerships a couple times a week to check out problems like the one you having.
I had a crack in the floorboard in my 86 and the zone manager had to ok the repair.

so does the zone manager work directly for ford then? if so i bet it would be better to talk to him then once i explain it to him.

post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010
Site Sponsor
S197 Member

If you search around for posts on this here in the 500 forum you can see a lot of people have had this problem including myself...3 times. Here is the TSB. Let me know if I can help in anyway.

TSB 08-16-4
08/18/08
SHELBY GT500 - CLUTCH DRAG
FORD:
2007-2009 Mustang ISSUE
Some 2007-2009 Mustang Shelby GT500 vehicles may exhibit the following clutch/transmission symptoms: hard to disengage or engage 1st and reverse, hard to shift any gear, gear grinding during shifts any gear, vehicle creeps with trans in gear and clutch pedal fully depressed without brake pedal application, clutch slippage in gear with clutch pedal released, hiss noise with clutch pedal fully depressed (hiss on clutch pedal release is normal for GT500 clutch material). These symptoms may be due to flywheel distortion caused by excessive heat build-up during unique traffic conditions (example: severe stop/go urban driving). The distortion of the flywheel may prevent complete disengagement of the clutch. The system is designed for performance driving conditions. ACTION
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition. SERVICE PROCEDURE
NOTE THIS ARTICLE APPLIES TO VEHICLES WITH PRIOR REPAIRS, AS WELL AS THOSE WITH MINOR MODIFICATIONS, EXHIBITING ABOVE SYMPTOMS. NOTE THE GT500 CLUTCH SHOULD BE DIAGNOSED/REMOVED/REPLACED AS A COMPLETE ASSEMBLY ONLY. DO NOT TAKE CLUTCH ASSEMBLY APART. 1. Remove, drain, disassemble and clean the transmission per Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 308-03C. 2. Remove and replace input shaft and all synchronizer assemblies per WSM, Section 308-03C. 3. Assemble the transmission per WSM, Section 308-03C. 4. Remove clutch disc and plate assembly and pilot bearing per WSM, Section 308-01. 5. Remove and replace flywheel per WSM, Section 303-01C. Discard old bolts and use bolts provided in flywheel kit. 6. Install new pilot bearing per WSM, Section 308-01. 7. Install new clutch disc and plate assembly per online WSM, Section 308-01 (vehicles with solid design flywheel). Discard old bolts and use bolts provided in clutch kit. Tighten bolts to 89 lb-in (10 N.m) in a star pattern. Tighten an additional 90 degrees in a star pattern. 8. Apply a small amount of Motorcraft(R) PTFE Lubricant to the clutch hub splines per WSM, Section 308-01. 9. Install the transmission per WSM, Section 308-03C.

WARRANTY STATUS: Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT : Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part. OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME

Shellee Kallas
Powerhouse Racing and Performance
6332 Lee Ann Lane
Naples, Florida
United States, 34109
(239) 596-1845
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010
Site Sponsor
S197 Member

With it being to the point that it's hard to get to go into gear you don't have long before it's completely gone and you won't be able to drive it.

It'll take me quite a while to post everything here but like I said search around. You can search my posts if you'd like and I've given a lot of info on this and what you need to tell them. Hope this helps some.

Shellee Kallas
6332 Lee Ann Lane
Naples, Florida
United States, 34109
(239) 596-1845
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-13-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member

well doesnt look like im getting any help from this dealership... on monday after work im going up there to talk to the dealership manager im gonna bring a copy of the tsb i printed out and tell him to take a test drive with me and the svt tech and let the svt tech drive... that way i can prove to him its making the noise...

if that doesnt work im trying another dealership and bring the tsb when i bring the car this time. im also gonna talk to a lawer in the next few days this friend i play poker with is a layer and see if its worth it.

ive also been looking at clutches to buy if i have to. i want a duel friction clutch still and new flywheel, is aluminum the best way to go? also would this one on american muscle work for me? http://www.americanmuscle.com/ram-tw...20Disc%20Clutc
i also found a factory brand new clutch for 600 but aftermarket would probably be a better idea if this would happen again in the future im thinking...

Last edited by pcfrisch; 03-13-2010 at 10:38 PM.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010
GT Member

Soooooo what happened???

2014 Mustang GT/CS - Coupe
Sterling Gray
Manual Trans
Glass Roof
Navigation
Comfort
Site Sponsor
S197 Member

Any progress on this? Been curious to see what they do for you.

Shellee Kallas
6332 Lee Ann Lane
Naples, Florida
United States, 34109
(239) 596-1845
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member

sorry i havent posted i feel like an idiot. it must just be the normal clutch chatter it does it if i have to take off real slow or ease off the clutch when taking off doesnt do it if i take off right i guess lol. this cars clutch is soo much different from my last car. i still want to put an after market clutch in eventually thats still dual disk but is a little less noisy hopefully. ill probably want to get a flywheel to i donno. know of any good ones? the whole shifter think i was imagining was just because i was spoiled from the short shifter from before it was so smooth compaired to this shifter i dont really like it.

Site Sponsor
S197 Member

Glad it wasn't the TSB then. One of the first things I did was put a short throw in.

Shellee Kallas
6332 Lee Ann Lane
Naples, Florida
United States, 34109
(239) 596-1845
GT Member

I just saw this. Is it really normal for the clutch to be that noisy? I'd at least make sure the TSB work was performed, as it appears as though it eventually will need to be.

Even if you test drove it, the symptoms may not have appeared. I bought a used GT that didn't show symptoms of its problems until I started using it as a daily driver.

No test drive? That is BS. I've been looking at GT500s but haven't driven any yet, because I'd like to find the one I want before I go in. But, I will drive it, new or used, or no deal. If I'm spending $40-50K on a car, no way am I buying without driving.
Rookie

Shellee, I am local to you here in Florida and see you and Wess at the local car show. I had service to my car about a year and a half ago. You and Wess were helpful in explaining what to say and do when I got to the dealer. They ultimately replaced the tranny, but told me the clutch "looked great" so no replacement was needed. However it shudders when leaving first, and when I get on it hard, going from second to third it is sometimes impossible. I have to get out of it and then gently "force" it into third. My question is, is this something that our local dealer here will fix, or am I out of luck? Is this normal or part of the tsb. When I bought the car in 08 I got an extended warranty on it, but I am not sure if this dealer will work with me. I know last time we talked about it you both said they were terrible to you guys with your 500's.

2009 G8 GT
Stock for now
Site Sponsor
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alwaysbroke27 View Post
Shellee, I am local to you here in Florida and see you and Wess at the local car show. I had service to my car about a year and a half ago. You and Wess were helpful in explaining what to say and do when I got to the dealer. They ultimately replaced the tranny, but told me the clutch "looked great" so no replacement was needed. However it shudders when leaving first, and when I get on it hard, going from second to third it is sometimes impossible. I have to get out of it and then gently "force" it into third. My question is, is this something that our local dealer here will fix, or am I out of luck? Is this normal or part of the tsb. When I bought the car in 08 I got an extended warranty on it, but I am not sure if this dealer will work with me. I know last time we talked about it you both said they were terrible to you guys with your 500's.
Hey bud. They have actually been a lot better with us. They actually send people to us for tuning etc. Same with Galloway. It would be nice if we could sit in your car and check out the clutch. We don't even need to drive them to tell you if it's the TSB or not. Anyways if you go down to Tamiami talk to Jeff Novak. He's the service manager up front for the customers. Or call him and make an appt with him. 643-3673 Keep me updated or lets get together and we'll check it out. Sorry your having these problems. I know what your going through and feel your pain.

OH and this is a warranty issue. The clutch was part of the TSB so I'm not sure why they didn't replace yours when they did the tranny. So the local dealer should take care of it.

Shellee Kallas
6332 Lee Ann Lane
Naples, Florida
United States, 34109
(239) 596-1845

Last edited by GT500Girl; 05-04-2010 at 11:21 AM. Reason: forgot to answer one of his questions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page