Mustang GT500 Mystichrome - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Mustang GT500 Mystichrome

So I was 2 my performance shop and they have a mystichrome cobra coming in I i thought to myself i should try to get his paint and put it on my GT500 so I asked the shop if they could get the paint today. They are gonna quote me tomorrow anybody have any idea how much it might be? ive never done a paint job b4 so this is a new ballpark for me

R.I.P. Baby Shelby GT '07 9/8/09

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
Abraham Linclon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010
GT Member

Mystichrome is EXPENSIVE!

It is also a very complex paint job. And around here, an good paint job(not MAACO or anything like that) usually costs around $3000 depending on color, amount of body work and stuff like that. But a color change could cost more than that!

'87 COUPE, DSS 331, AFR 185's, XE282HR Cam, Victor Jr. Intake, Barry Grant Speed Demon 650, Long Tubes, PA Super Comp C4

11.49 @ 119 1.72 60'
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010
PONY Member
4.6L Member

definatly let us know how much they quote you!! i didnt even think you could by mysticrome except if you could prove you had that paint from factory. i definatly want to see some pics if you actually get this done i bet it would look sick!

07 shelby gt500 537rwhp 520 torque whipple 160mm throttle body, vmp 1.6 supercharge pulley, JLT intake, sct livewire tuner, brenspeed dyno tuned, sequentials tail lights, window tints, low jack, 2010 shelby black/white stripe seats.
02 gt convertable RIP.. to many mods to list...

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010
Site Sponsor
S197 Member

Stroked95GT is spot right on. I would say it will be anywhere from 4000.00 to 5000.00 minimum. I would stay away from anything that costs less.

Shellee Kallas
Powerhouse Racing and Performance
6332 Lee Ann Lane
Naples, Florida
United States, 34109
(239) 596-1845
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010
MACH I Member

Ford contracted with the man who invented the patented multi-layer crystals to make 2,000 1996 SVT Cobra Mustangs in Mystic paint (all coupes). Ford added $850 to the MSRP for the optional paint. Mystic used primer, then a black base coat, then the layer of crystals, then clearcoat. The crystals reflected a different part of the visible light spectrum depending on the brightness of the light source and the angles of the viewer to the car and to the light source, but the black base coat resulted in a variety of dark metallic colors.

Painting over a base coat other than black would result in a different range of metallic colors (only metallic colors since the crystals acted like metallic flakes). Ford contracted with the inventor to make 1,000 Mystic Gold SVT Cobras for the 2000 model year. One prototype was made and shown at the Knotts Berry Farm car show in 1999. The gold base coat created a lighter and brighter range of metallic colors reflected by the Mystic crystals. I pre-ordered one of the 1,000 Mystic Gold Cobras (to go with my '96 Mystic) and waited for several months before Ford announced that there would be NO Mystic Gold Cobras built. The recall of the underpowered 1999 SVT Cobras delayed and then cancelled all 2000 SVT Cobra production (althought they did make the 300 Cobra Rs that year, all in performance red). Anyone with a 2000 Cobra on order would be price protected on a 2001 Cobra instead, but Mystic Gold had to be dropped because Mustangs changed over to water-based paint for 2001 and the Mystic crystals weren't formulated for that.

The Mystic crystals were later reformulated for water-based paint and Ford contracted to make 1,000 '04 Cobras in MysticChrome (with the name changed to differentiate the water-based formulation from the previous Mystic). This time around it was available on coupes or convertible SVT Cobras, and the seat inserts and steering wheel were also sealed with the Mystic crystals. The colors of MystiChrome were too similar to the colors of Mystic (since they both started with a black base coat), although MystiChrome gets a teal-blue metallic shade not present in Mystic, while Mystic gets a bronze metallic shade not in MystiChrome. I had wanted the Mystic Gold to contrast with my Mystic, but I passed on MystiChrome because I'm not made of monaey and I was already waiting for the first SVT Cobra version of the upcoming retro-styled S197 Mustang (which turned out to be the Shelby GT500).

Meanshilw, Saleen contracted with the same inventor to offer color-shifting paint as an option on Saleen Mustangs. Saleen's contract was based on single cars (instead of 1,000 or 2,000 like Ford), so Saleen had to pay thousands per car for the use of the patented crystals. Saleen called their version of the color-shifting paint Saleen Rainbow Extreme and charged $11,500 per car for the paint upgrade. They only made 7 Saleens over several years in the optional Rainbow Extreme paint (most years they only sold one Saleen Mustang in Rainbow Extreme).

When Ford made the 1,999 Mystic paint '96 SVT Cobras, they painted them all in one batch (due to the multi-step process) in February of 1996. At that time, Ford issued a strict procedure for dealers to obtain the patented paint crystrals for repair of any Mystic Cobra that was damaged in the future. (I have a copy of this procedure that my Ford dealer printed out for me.) You could NOT purchase the paint unless you already owned a Mystic car and proved it had been damaged, at which time a representative would have to visit the body shop and authorize release of the limited amount of paint your car's repairs would require.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp '05 Saleen rainbow.bmp (646.4 KB, 27010 views)

2013 Boss 302 gotta-have-it green
2008 Shelby GT500 torch red with black stripes + sequentials
2001 Cobra mineral grey with 2003 Mach 1 shaker hood
1996 Cobra color-shifting mystic paint + sequentials
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

I figured it would be anywhere between 5 to 10k alone... I know its very expensive but its something I really want to do just because who else can say they have a mystichrome GT500! I think it would make the car so sick I might not drive it so much anymore lol.. anyways I had alot of questions regarding getting the paint and my performance shop told me they can get the paint and claimed it will be authentic? So im not sure exactly how they can get it but if they can I sure wolnt ask any questions haha no my only thing is saving up some money to get everything done! its gonna be even more expensive concidering my paint is white and will need to be taken off.. o well all I know is if i can pull this trick outta my hat ill be taking her to a few carshows! thanks for all the info

R.I.P. Baby Shelby GT '07 9/8/09

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
Abraham Linclon
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010
MACH I Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJon87 View Post
I had alot of questions regarding getting the paint and my performance shop told me they can get the paint and claimed it will be authentic.
In my earlier post I stated "at that time Ford issued a strict procedure" to obtain the special Mystic paint. That was before other paint manufacturers developed similar (or copied the original) color-shifting formulas, although most of those other formulas are referred to as flip-flops because they only switch between two color shades depending on the angle of view (instead of many shades like Mystic or MystiChrome). Ford's exclusive rights to limited use of the patented crystals have since expired and the inventor has made more money by again selling rights to use the crystals (I believe to PPG paints and possibly others as well).

Disclaimer: I had to abruptly end my earlier post to go into a pre-scheduled meeting at work, so I didn't have time then to add the additional information in this post (as if my earlier post wasn't long enough) or to check my earlier post for typing errors (I see now that I butchered "money" and "meanwhile" in that earlier post).

2013 Boss 302 gotta-have-it green
2008 Shelby GT500 torch red with black stripes + sequentials
2001 Cobra mineral grey with 2003 Mach 1 shaker hood
1996 Cobra color-shifting mystic paint + sequentials
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-05-2010
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Hey Jon, I got my car repainted the same color (Vista Blue) when I was getting that widebody put on and that alone came up to 5k. I think places like house of color have a very similar paint for abit less then what Ford wants.

2006 Saleen SC281 is Home of the S197 "L" Swap
2010 GT500 is sittin low and pretty quick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page