Recently purchased 2008 GT500 Convertable - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie
S197 Member

Recently purchased 2008 GT500 Convertable

I just traded in My 07 GT CS for an 08 GT500 Convertable with 8K miles on her. The GT500 is bone stock and I plan on doing a few upgrades to it. ( I am really not sure why it is probaly more car that I can handle but at about $7.50 a HP upgrade why not throw another K buck into it) I am looking for a CAI, Supercharger Pully, and programer. After doing some research it appears that I need to do it as a package, use a canned tune from the programer, and then get a good dyno tune.

It is a convertable, so I am wanting to keep it quiet and leave the original mufflers on. Any suggestions for the CAI and for a good Dyno Tuner Shop close to Tampa FL would be greatly appreciated....Additionally, has any one out there used Powerhouse Racing and Performance (PHRP) located in Naples FL for there GT500, I have noticed they seem to give execlent advice on this fourm...
Jason

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010
Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
PHRP would be a great choice! They're one of our forum sponsors.

1965 Mustang Coupe
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-25-2010
Banned

Congradulations on the new snake, If you wanna get a custom dyno tune, which would be your best option probabaly,i would say go with PHRP..even know i have no experience with there services , I have talk to them before and they do seem to know whats going on with these cars, not to mention there close by ya(I think).....
If you decide to go with just a custom tune (all ya need IMO), I would go with Chris over at American Muscle, he is awesome and has all the same access to all software as any other tuner and there prices are awesome,especially with the forum discount.
He wrote me a great custom tune and I couldn't be happier.Originally I was going to go with John Lund for my tune,cause every one swore by him for the GT500's and although i'm sure he is a great tuner , he is way over priced, and he has nothing over my man Chris!!!

As far as upgrades on your car, do the smaller pulley, JLT intake,and custom tune...you'll be one happy stanger, doing my pulley swap real soon myself...
I know your concerened with not doing an exhaust cause your toplessbut you should strongly consider the KR mufflers,they give off an awesome deep rumble under accel. and have absolutely NO DRONE while cruising.There a nice upgrade to those week looking 07-09 gt500 axle backs..
Good Luck man and happy modding.....oh and post some pic's..........

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-10-2010
Rookie

I upgraded the exhaust on my 08 GT500 vert. I went with the Shelby shop recommendation and did the KR axlebacks. With the top down the rumble is not distracting. The drone at 1800 to 2100 rpm's is a little irritating with the top up, but is WELL worth the rumble.

I upgraded the exhaust, air intake and pulley. It now puts out 551 rwhp with 550 torque. I had it tuned.

Beware the convertible style bar with the brake light. The vinyl is peeling away from the light after 3 months.

I also upgraded to the 3.73 gears, which make it much easier shifting and more pleasurable. If I had it to do over, I might go with a little higher gears.

I recently went with a wheel upgrade from stock to the Torq Thrust M wheels in black. You have a wider selection of tires. Although, I think the stock tires are very sticky and good in warm weather.

The best upgrade was definitely the gears. Incredible difference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page