2010 Mustang GT500 or 2011 Mustang GT - Page 3 - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Rookie

Here's my other point of consideration between the two.

First, there's absolutely nothing about the GT I'd have to buy "despite". (For example, "despite" the fact that it doesn't have...." etc.) The only "despite" for the GT is that's it NOT a GT500, but that's not a flaw - it just is what is.

Second, there ARE some things I wish Ford would have done differently for the 2011 GT500 that I think it MAY do for 2012. For example, why the hell would they make HID lamps standard on GT500, but leave the fog lamps cheap halogens? Then there are the dumb choices like no heated seats and a manual passenger seat. Sure, both of these can be fixed in the aftermarket, but for those of use who'd ALSO like to be as faithful to "stock" as possible, it's annoying - despite the car's tremendous speed and handling.

And then there's the issue of transmission. With CAFE standards coming down so hard (and harder each year through 2016) - Ford is looking for EVERY opportunity to improve economy. In addition to competitive reasons with other vehicles, I have a suspicion (or fear) Ford may be adding a proper dual-clutch automatic transmission. Sure, it's not "muscle car-ish", but it's the way of the today's supercar and allows for higher EPA statistics due to being able to program it any way Ford wants (and allow as many programmable settings for the driver as Ford wants).

In short, I'm afraid 2011 Shelby may be a work in progress until 2014's 50th Anniversary year. And in that case, I'd rather own the 2011 GT in the years leading-up.

Could I be wrong? You bet. Am I likely wrong about one or more aspects? Yep. Am I likely wrong about ALL my guesses, no. And it's because such uncertainty exists that the choice continues to be a tough one.

On the upside, there are NO bad choices. This really is a choice between say - Racquel Welch and Demi Moore (in their primes).

Dammit.

2013 GT500 Coupe Performance White Race Red Stripes SVT Performance Package SVT Track Package Glass Roof Electronics Package Recaro Seats Shaker Pro Car Cover

2013 GT500 Convertible Performance White Race Red Stripes SVT Performance Package Electronics Package Recaro Seats Shaker Pro Car Cover

2012 BOSS 302 Race Red White "C" Stripe Recaro Seats and Torsen Helical Differential BOSS 302 Car Cover
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

GT Member

Again, good points. I bought the GT v.s. GT500 for many of the reasons you mention. And anyone who has driven those dual clutch autos knows they are very sweet. I love my manual, but with the power that the GT500 puts out, I would take a good dual clutch auto anyday.

S197 Mustang Owner
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Send a message via AIM to hotshot
get the one that has the color you want

2007 Mustang GT Convertible Stage 0 E-Force #402 Supercharger, Brenspeed Tune (435/400), GT500 Fuel pump, Clutch Delete Option, Roush Front Fascia, Brembos, California Dream Hood, Qwitch latch flush mount hood pins, MRT Light Bar, J&M LCA's, BMR UCA, UPR catch can, 6000k, Pypes Bombs, Pypes X-pipe, Airbrushed Flame pieces under the hood, Clear corners, GT500 shocks , FRPP P-springs (rear), BMR Adj Panhard, E-Force engine covers
2012 Ford Focus SEL 5Dr with MyFordTouch, Auto-Park, 303A Package,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page