2011 Mustang GT500 worth it for a daily driver? - Page 4 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

sorry I should have specified a just meant now lower than stage 3.. but after seeing that special on the boss 302 last night i defenatly would say buy that before any roush. Ive also seen alot of gt500s out there for 25-30k so i mean now that Ive looked at em a little more if your paying that its defenatly a steal. Of course the car is used.. but honestly if you can find one with low miles which isnt that hard, because of the guys who bought them when they first came out in hopes that it would be worth as much as the original and found out that that dream would never come unless they had shelby gt500 #1 or the last car built... I first began on that type of quest thinking there was no need to mod it because it would devalue the car but it turns out unless its a special number or some sort or shelby owned it or drove it.. ect theres not alot of money to be made on them. The one and only thing that still scares me about this car is the torque... If you have never driven a car with a lot of torque you defenatly have to respect it and know how to deal with it.. it can mess u up bad and especaillt coming around corners/turns.. Ive seen a couple bad youtube vids of kids trying to show off with their new blowers and in one the kid actually ended up on the other side of the road because he couldnt handle the cars power... About a year ago I totaled my old shelby gt one night coming around a turn and it had just started raining.. I was going maybe 5 over but didnt matter as soon as i started to fish tail i did my best to miss the cars on the road and then pull it back into my lane.. well i missed all the cars but when i pulled it back i clipped the median and blew out the back left tire and went sliding into an electrical pole which almost killed me.. anyways my only point and lesson i learned these cars that we love are dangerous and whatever you end up buying just be careful with it man I was hear broken when i lost that car and blessed that i didnt lose my life... Anyways regardless Im sure that you will end up picking the car that you love.. thats really my only advice just get it the car go through every corner make sure its what you want.. Do all the research you can and pick the car becuase its the car you love not just because you want to impress people, because if you dont love the car one day the other car the you wanted mmore will pull up next to you and you say to yourself damnit im an idiot! So good luck with your research and buying the car and be sure to post up some pics of it when you finally get it!

R.I.P. Baby Shelby GT '07 9/8/09

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
Abraham Linclon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Banned
4.6L Member

If I was you I'd hold out for a Boss 302...it will be the best of the 5.0 and ready to tackle any twisty road...

Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post
To me, I see a Roush as a waste of money (at least the Stage 2 offered in California). You pay a premium for the name and really could do a lot better with a off the floor Brembo GT and adding a Griggs SS suspension (or something along them lines).
TRZ06, I totally agree. I would not buy the "Stage 2" Roush. Just pointing out that California drivers don't have the opportunity to buy the 5XR. I'm having a hard time deciding between a GT500 (as a d/d) or a GT of some type (including the BOSS if I can find one in Northern California when they start shipping). Either way, the car won't be a "garage queen" awaiting the day it is worth more than the purchase price. This car will be driven. And enjoyed. It is just such a headache making the choice.

One other poster here (one or two above mine) points out the prices one can have a GT500 for. Yes, they are somewhat less if you buy used. But if you are in the market NOW for a Mustang, the 2011 GT500 is an excellent choice. They are not discounted, but they are markedly improved over the 2009 and 2010 model years (more horsepower, lighter front end, better handling, etc.). They are a more developed car than the previous years. I don't see any reason to refer them as "old technology" when they have aluminum blocks with some very advanced cylinder material (and more horsepower to boot).

But, yes, you do save about 10k - 15k if you get a GT or BOSS.

My point is the 2011 GT500 is in a new class itself, having several engineering changes made to it as well. And the GT / BOSS is a beautiful (both visually and engineering wise) platform for Ford to further in the future.

Just my $0.02 worth, YMMV.

Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmastrol View Post
TRZ06, I totally agree. I would not buy the "Stage 2" Roush. Just pointing out that California drivers don't have the opportunity to buy the 5XR. I'm having a hard time deciding between a GT500 (as a d/d) or a GT of some type (including the BOSS if I can find one in Northern California when they start shipping). Either way, the car won't be a "garage queen" awaiting the day it is worth more than the purchase price. This car will be driven. And enjoyed. It is just such a headache making the choice.

One other poster here (one or two above mine) points out the prices one can have a GT500 for. Yes, they are somewhat less if you buy used. But if you are in the market NOW for a Mustang, the 2011 GT500 is an excellent choice. They are not discounted, but they are markedly improved over the 2009 and 2010 model years (more horsepower, lighter front end, better handling, etc.). They are a more developed car than the previous years. I don't see any reason to refer them as "old technology" when they have aluminum blocks with some very advanced cylinder material (and more horsepower to boot).

But, yes, you do save about 10k - 15k if you get a GT or BOSS.

My point is the 2011 GT500 is in a new class itself, having several engineering changes made to it as well. And the GT / BOSS is a beautiful (both visually and engineering wise) platform for Ford to further in the future.

Just my $0.02 worth, YMMV.

I hear ya.

Another option worth considering, is picking up a C5 Z06 for road course work. They can be had for around $20 to $25K, and having owned 3 of them, there is nothing like a 3200lb 405 hp & tq car. Hard car to beat for road course/autocross work unless you want to go into the $100K+ range, and even then they are still competitive.
Apprentice

I thought long and hard between purchasing the Shelby or the 5.0 Mustang. I drive 25K a year through every weather condition and NYC potholes I am sure I will get flamed for this...but heres how I come to my decsion:

(1) The Shelby is nice...but not 20K nicer.
(2) Regardless of warranties, I will be out of warranty in two years...supercharging is stupid expensive to fix
(3) GT Mustang without stripes is virtually invisible compared to Shelby without stripes...with stripes it screams pull me over...stealth is important to me
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckman View Post
(3) GT Mustang without stripes is virtually invisible compared to Shelby without stripes...with stripes it screams pull me over...stealth is important to me
Why I got black with black stripes.

For a daily driver, the GT is probably the better choice. GT is lghter, more nimble, and offers better fuel economy. GT500 though, is one heck of a weekend toy.

'08 Bullitt -Highland Green
'09 GT-500KR -Black/Black

PONY Member

If I was buying a daily driver/track car, it'd be a Boss 302 all day long.

I love GT500s but supercharged cars have heat issues on warm days with lots of laps and the extra weight up front doesn't do it any favors either. The Boss is ready for the track off the showroom floor.

If you hit up the dealers now, you may still be able to order one.
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJPONY View Post
If you are looking for a value proposition, the GT500 isn't it. If spending money on a car doesn't matter to you, the the GT500 is it.
I totally agree. When I read "value proposition" I scratched my head and checked the web site address just to confirm that we were in fact talking about not just a sports car, but a GT 500.

The only value proposition of a GT500 is an emotional one.
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdaallen View Post
Granted it does not ride like a Lincoln but then it's not supposed to. But -- the ride is rather comfortable. The trip was VERY enjoyable and the car played a big part of that. Can't wait for the next one before the snow starts falling.
I completely agree. I think it is also a matter of having a "tolerance" for sports car suspension. I've driven vettes the last 6 years, and an SRT8 Jeep Grand Cherokee. I prefer the performance handling over the "lincoln" feel.

Too me, uncomfortable is going around a corner at highway speeds as the vehicle yaws to one side like a frakin' boat. No thanks.
GT Member
Classic Member
5.0L Member

GT vs GT500?

Is it worth 20 to 25 grand more fun? It wasn't for me but I don't think you can go wrong getting either choice.

You could get a GT Premium and then put custom mods on it and have something very special (even the Shelby look if that is what you like) and maybe save a few bucks over getting the Shelby. Maybe a lot of bucks depending on where you stop with the mods. Probably save a few bucks on insuring a GT over a GT 500 too. Ultimately, that is the route I picked. The mods will come as I am able to afford, prioritize and evaluate each one of them. While I do like the Shelbys and came very close to buying the 2010 GT500, the lower price and sweet 5.0 motor swayed me that it was just a better value.

Now, if the extra cost for the GT500 is not a factor for you, then hell go for it. Be sure to drive the snot out of it everyday. Don't get surprised if you will get the mod bug or go in thinking the GT500 has got all the bugs worked out because it doesn't. You'll just have a bigger investment on your hands and it will be more expensive to operate as a DD considering the extra gas and insurance it needs.

Keep us posted on what you decide.
Rookie

Good thread.

This very issue has been keeping me up at night!!

I had a deal put together to buy a 2011 5.0, then I read the threads about what junk the tranny and the "Tick" Tack - Clank coming from the engine that is only cured buy the mystery snake oil, and then only temp fix.

The GT500 has the same engine as my 06' GT (GT40) and the same tranny as my Vipers. I raced Vipers for a couple of years that tranny is well put together.

So GT500 as a daily driver it is!!

2011 GT500
2006 Ford GT (GT40)
2005 Viper SRT-10
2002 Viper GTS
2005 Excursion
2005 Expedition
2007 Screamin Eagle Hog
2003 Road King w/ side car
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOGDEALER View Post
Good thread.

I had a deal put together to buy a 2011 5.0, then I read the threads about what junk the tranny and the "Tick" Tack - Clank coming from the engine that is only cured buy the mystery snake oil, and then only temp fix.

The GT500 has the same engine as my 06' GT (GT40) and the same tranny as my Vipers. I raced Vipers for a couple of years that tranny is well put together.

Good choice, you won't regret it one moment!
With that stable you have I think you would know what the best for yourself is? Glad GT500 made the grade, have fun and post us a pic!

2010 Shelby GT500. Kona Blue.
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOGDEALER View Post
Good thread.

Congrats on your choice. You will not regret it. I have 15k miles on mine and have enjoyed every mile of it!!

2007 GRABBER ORANGE VERT
40TH ANNIVERSARY PACKAGE
#1 OF 15

2011 BLACK VERT W RED STRIPES
SVTPP AND ELECTRONICS PACKAGE
Rookie

No more sleepless nights!!!

Picked up the 2011 GT500 today.

Red & White, very nice ride!!

My new daily driver!!

2011 GT500
2006 Ford GT (GT40)
2005 Viper SRT-10
2002 Viper GTS
2005 Excursion
2005 Expedition
2007 Screamin Eagle Hog
2003 Road King w/ side car
Apprentice

Glad you found the right car! Did you opt for the performance package?

2005 Ford Focus ST 2.3L- Focussport Intake, Cosworth Intake Manifold, Cosworth Header and Flex Pipe, Trubendz 2.5" exhaust, FSWerks Tune on X-Cal 2, Hawk pads, stainless brake lines, Quaife LSD, 4.06 Final drive, Exedy clutch and flywheel, KW Variant 1 coilovers, Steeda STS shifter
On a Mustang Forum for fun....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page