What is the GT500's life expectancy, mileage - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-09-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member

What is the GT500's life expectancy, mileage

I have been looking for a good used GT500 as an upgrade to my 05 GT. I've seen a lot of low mileage GT500's, does anyone actually drive them when they buy them?, but also seen a few with like 20,000 miles on them. Normally I wouldn't think anything of 20k miles on a car now figuring most are good to at least 100k. But I've never owned a high performance car, other than my GT. Do the same rules apply to a GT500 with a supercharged motor? Are you expecting that 100k is going to be no problem on these cars? Or since its a high performance supercharged motor are rebuilds expected at a lower mileage?

D.O.B Manifold, GT500 Fuel System, GT500 SC, Bassani Exhaust

SOS Dual Pillar Pod, Aeroforce & Roush Gauges
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-09-2010
GT Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

You could most likely, get a million miles out of it. All depends on how well you maintain your vehicle, if you take good care of it could last a life time, Mike.

70 BOSS,with a 71 429 SCJ 8.0:1 compression with an F-3 Pro Charger and 39lbs. of boost. Rectangular Tube Chassis, Custom 17" Magnum 500 Wheels. Just way too much to list, but what a ride. P.S. Hang on tight!!!
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-09-2010
SHELBY GT 500 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITLRUN View Post
You could most likely, get a million miles out of it. All depends on how well you maintain your vehicle, if you take good care of it could last a life time, Mike.
Unless you live in the rust belt, then rust will take over.
Having said that...I use my 06 as a DD, live in Michigan, been through 5 winters so far and no body rust yet.

AFM Site Administrator
2006 Tungsten Grey Mustang GT Manual.
Alpine H/U with Infinity speakers.
Powerhouse CAI and Tune.
Previous Mustangs:
1978 2.8 L, 1979 5.0, 1982 5.0 "HO", 1986 5.0 GT

Don't wait for tomorrow to look back and wish for today

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-09-2010
MACH I Member
S197 Member

Like they said, if it's well maintaned, should last a long time. Motors put together better than those in the GT. Yes, a lot of them don't get driven a lot and don't even think about driving it thru the Winter.
Dave - Over here in Stevens Point/Amherst

2015 Stage 3 Roush
'66' Ranchero w/almost done 302 T-5 swap
2000 4x4 Ranger
2003 4x2 Ranger
'69' Fairlane Cobra, 428 4-speed waiting for work
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-09-2010
S197 Mustang Owner
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Send a message via AIM to hotshot
it could go as far as you want honestly. But that being said, and not bashing anyone, i really don't see too many ppl who do DD in their GT500's and have serious mileage on them. I've seen GT's well over 100K and still running strong. I've had a blower strapped to my GT for over 4k miles personally. Give me a few more years and i will run up that odometer

2007 Mustang GT Convertible Stage 0 E-Force #402 Supercharger, Brenspeed Tune (435/400), GT500 Fuel pump, Clutch Delete Option, Roush Front Fascia, Brembos, California Dream Hood, Qwitch latch flush mount hood pins, MRT Light Bar, J&M LCA's, BMR UCA, UPR catch can, 6000k, Pypes Bombs, Pypes X-pipe, Airbrushed Flame pieces under the hood, Clear corners, GT500 shocks , FRPP P-springs (rear), BMR Adj Panhard, E-Force engine covers
2012 Ford Focus SEL 5Dr with MyFordTouch, Auto-Park, 303A Package,

post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-09-2010
PONY Member

Send a message via AIM to solidhex
I've noticed a lot of "low mileage" GT500s for sale also - don't people drive those suckers?!

· 6spd 2012 Grabber Blue GT Premium 401A
· 3.73 rear-end
· HID headlamps & security package
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-09-2010
PONY Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to abahog
Wink Shelby GT500 Mileage

Not enough history out there yet, but I bought my '07 Shelby GT 500 used at $34K with 4,300 miles on it in Dec 09 and using it as a daily driver to work. I couldn't pass up hipo and traded my '06 GT that had 34K miles on it.

Those who are selling now believe the values will not hold up because of the 2010-11's are supposedly better built. For whatever its worth, just my opinion.

Bottom line is this car is the best one ever and Ford did have a "Better IDEA" with it.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010
GT Member

I've noticed a lot of "low mileage" GT500s for sale also - don't people drive those suckers?!

Apparently not. I've only seen one over 14K miles and I've looked at dozens of them. I guess people look at them in the garage. I wold think driving would be more fun, but hey, who knows?
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010
Banned
4.6L Member

lot of low milage Terminators around too...I think people bought them(gt500s) and thought they would be collectible...big mistake, esp when the economy went South...also alot of them sat around unsold for years...
As a side note, my Cobra has over 150K miles on the original motor and trans, so as long as you maintain it, the car could last a LONG time...mine still runs as good as the day I bought it...better yet with the supercharger.
Rookie

Like most have said if you take care of it, it should last. On a side note my 08 gt500 is my dd so some do drive them.
MACH I Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidhex View Post
I've noticed a lot of low mileage GT500s. Don't people drive them?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0201212 View Post
My '08 GT500 is my daily driver, so some do drive them.
My'08 GT500 is never driven, so some don't.

This area of the country is very hard on daily driven vehicles. What the heat and humidity of the Summers doesn't deteriorate, the frigid cold, ice and road salt of the bitter Winters does. The tech advice columnist for Road & Track magazine advised (in the August 2010 issue) that the best way to insure a car's long life is to keep it garaged every possible minute. And for me, every possible minute happens to be every single minute. I love looking at my GT500 in mint condition and intend to keep it until I die.

I ordered my 1987 Fiero GT early in the model year and took delivery on October 11th of 1986. It was garage kept with only 54 miles on the odometer for almost 15 years, and still looked brand new inside and out when it lost its garage spot (to my 2001 Mustang SVT Cobra) and became my daily driver. I've put only 47,000 miles on it over the last nine years, but the elements have taken their toll. If it was still my pride and joy (like it was when I first took delivery of it), looking at it now would make me cry.

2013 Boss 302 gotta-have-it green
2008 Shelby GT500 torch red with black stripes + sequentials
2001 Cobra mineral grey with 2003 Mach 1 shaker hood
1996 Cobra color-shifting mystic paint + sequentials
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJPONY View Post

Apparently not. I've only seen one over 14K miles and I've looked at dozens of them. I guess people look at them in the garage. I wold think driving would be more fun, but hey, who knows?

Drive mine 100 miles a day but only 6 months a year in the Northeast.

2010 Mustang Shelby GT500 SVT and everything

2011 Mustang GT Premium. Order canceled
Apprentice
S197 Member

Garage
These are boosted beasts, but they are not running under boost all the time. Unless your "trackin" her every week, there shouldn't be any problems with proper maintenance. I drive mine roughly 1000 miles a year, mostly weekends, no rain/wet roads. She is cleaned/garaged/covered after every drive.

If people are looking for collectibility in this car, it will come with time and originality. The muscle cars of the past took 30 years to become collectible, as the DD's and boneyards consumed those that were not garaged. I feel that this new CAFE standard is going put the same collectibility with these beautiful machines. It will take a few decades for the value and rarity to show. Just be patient.

The values also comes with the buyer. The 07-09s are the originals (just as the 67-68s), and while they might not have the same handling and performance as the 10s and 11s, they are still the originals. I personally don't like the plastic side skirts and rear lower fascia on the 2nd gens, it really throws off the balance of the car (esp with the bright colors)... just looks cheap. Plus the hood extractor on the 2nd gens is ugly; otherwise, she a beautiful beast.

Ciao

2013 Shelby GT500 Convertible - Grabber Blue w/Black Stripes
#497/808 Convertibles, #31/49

2008 Shelby GT500 Coupe - Alloy w/Silver Stripes
#3264/6513 Coupes, #145/314
Born on Dec 14, 2007, Brought Home Jan 12, 2008
-SLP LoudMouth Axlebacks
-C&L Cold Air Intake
-2.3 TVS with 2.5" Pulley
Mustang Dyno'd @ 587hp/617tq
Dynojet Dyno'd @ 655hp/666tq

2000 Mustang GT Convertible - Tripple Black
2004 Harley Davidson - Fat Boy Lo (Daily Rider)
PONY Member
S197 Member

Some people do drive them, and some really do not. My KR only goes out in nice weather, and when I'm in the mood. When I do drive it, it's usually on a longer road trip to some place fun, or just to explore new (to me) roads. I've had it since Oct. '09, and now have around 3K miles. The car's a blast. I have the Bullitt that's more of a regular driver, but still not a daily; it's got about 10K on it now. Took it out today, for a trip to the Reagan Library.
Daily driver that sees all the mileage, is an '05 Toyota minivan...115K on it, and I don't care if I put 300K on before scrapping it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nascort View Post
...If people are looking for collectibility in this car, it will come with time and originality. The muscle cars of the past took 30 years to become collectible, as the DD's and boneyards consumed those that were not garaged. I feel that this new CAFE standard is going put the same collectibility with these beautiful machines. It will take a few decades for the value and rarity to show. Just be patient...
{OFF TOPIC}

There are some diferences now, versus then... The main one that I think will affect desirability, is new technology muscle cars.
While most people don't see them as traditional "muscle", fast electrics will most certainly be fast! For those not lucky enough to have grown up with slot cars, I'll let you in on a little known fact; slot cars have long been the quickest accellerating wheeled vehicle. Okay, so not really a vehicle, but a toy, you say..? You'll be seeing some old slot car technology in future cars. In another "toy" area, R/C model racing boats.. The fastest are now electric, and in just the last few years, have been outrunning highly tuned, hand massaged model marine nitro engines (running around 80%+ nitro to alcohol). Those engines have outrageous power to weight ratios, and can make well over 7 HP per cubic inch(!)...and the electrics are now running away from them at over 120mph on the water.

Modern muscle cars, while faster and more reliable than those of years past, will be competing against newer technology, both on the streets and in collector garages. For those of you sitting on these Mustangs as collector items in hopes of their value appreciating... Only time will tell. Remember though, not all things are the same now, as they were in years past.

Drive 'em while you can; they're too much fun to just keep as garage art.

'08 Bullitt -Highland Green
'09 GT-500KR -Black/Black

Rookie

We've had an 07 GT500 for just a year. Bought it with 3k on it. Now it has 15k. No problems other than trim stuff. I kind of wondered if we would have any problems since it obviously had sat a lot, but no drive train issues at all.

Oh... I actually share the car with my son. He gets it Mon-Fri since he has four kids and I get it Fri-Mon. We work together. This way we can both blame the other guy for blowing the rear tires off. (Second set is going away fast.) We alternate between the Shelby and a F150 crew cab. Works great, lots of grins and I still have something to haul junk with when I need it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page