2009 gt 500 Transmission removal - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie

2009 gt 500 Transmission removal

Has anybody dropped the transmission (Tremec 6060) out of a GT500. I have statrted to remove and have everything out if the way. My concern is the hydralic lines, slave cilinder, and throw out bearing. I have never changed a transmission with hydralic setup. Before I pull the tranny back is there anything special on taking the throwout bearing out? Does it just slid off the shaft? What about the hydralic line coming in the bell housing? How do you take it out? Do you have to disconect line and then bleed the slave cilinder? Before you ask, yes it is out of warranty. Any help is appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010
PONY Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

Nothing special, its one of the easiest transmissions R&R and bleed the clutch. Disconnect the hydraulic plastic hose at the elbow on the left side of the trans. When its back in, fill the master with fluid and just keep pumping the clutch pedal until you have a pedal. There is no bleeder to be concerned with.

2003 Mustang GT - All the usual engine bolt-ons, brakes and a road race suspension - SOLD
89 5.0 LX - Too much to list, goes fast, turns and stops!
1999 F-350 Modded 7.3L DIT
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010
Banned
V6 Member

Send a message via AIM to 05horse Send a message via MSN to 05horse Send a message via Yahoo to 05horse
lucky for you no bleeder. the 2005s need beld. it SUCKS

but to take it off use a flat had to pop the clip out just above the bellhouseing, SAVE THIS CLIP ITS $8

then disconnect.
slide trans back. and your off the slave comes out with the trans

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks guys. One other question. I know there has to be a bolt on the top, twelve o'clock position, right? It is tight under there. Have not done this in 20 years. So your saying the it just disconects at the elbow where it enters the bell housing? My problem is with second gear. I missed a shift at high RPM and ground it hard. Now you have to let engine fall to idel to shift to second without grind. Guess I missed up the synro or bent the shifting fork. Just a little nervous.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010
Banned
V6 Member

Send a message via AIM to 05horse Send a message via MSN to 05horse Send a message via Yahoo to 05horse
yea theres one or 2 up top
the t5 has 2 TDC of the freaking thing. a pain to get to.... unless you have a v6 and can reach it from the top!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks for the info. No such luck on getting it from the top. The 5.4 with a blower doesn't give any access from top. I think they used a shoe horn to get it in. LOL Let ya know how it turns out.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010
Banned
V6 Member

good luck
im thinking of swapping in a t6060 in to my v6

how do you like the trans overall?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010
PONY Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bksnake View Post
Thanks for the info. No such luck on getting it from the top. The 5.4 with a blower doesn't give any access from top. I think they used a shoe horn to get it in. LOL Let ya know how it turns out.
Once you have the crossmember and exhaust out of the way you can tilt the back of the trans down a bit which will give you more access to the top bolts. At that point just use a long extention with a 13mm swivel socket and they come out easily.

2003 Mustang GT - All the usual engine bolt-ons, brakes and a road race suspension - SOLD
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010
PONY Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bksnake View Post
Thanks guys. One other question. I know there has to be a bolt on the top, twelve o'clock position, right? It is tight under there. Have not done this in 20 years. So your saying the it just disconects at the elbow where it enters the bell housing? My problem is with second gear. I missed a shift at high RPM and ground it hard. Now you have to let engine fall to idel to shift to second without grind. Guess I missed up the synro or bent the shifting fork. Just a little nervous.
The sychros and blocking rings seem to be especially delicate in those units. Ford revised them along with the clutch. Since yours is a 2010 it should have the updated parts installed from the factory.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-07-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05horse View Post
good luck
im thinking of swapping in a t6060 in to my v6

how do you like the trans overall?
It has always felt like it sticks going into second gear. Real notchy. All other gears are great. I missed second at high RPM, and ground it real hard. Ever since then second grind unless you let the motor come back to idel. I have 42K miles now. out of warranty. Ford did the TSB upgrade back in March. The clutch was slipping and finally the pressure plate broke and they agreed it was a defect. Since the upgrade it has been better. Part of the TSB was to replace the syncros and in put shaft. Not sure they did that. But the clutch is much better.
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatratetec View Post
Once you have the crossmember and exhaust out of the way you can tilt the back of the trans down a bit which will give you more access to the top bolts. At that point just use a long extention with a 13mm swivel socket and they come out easily.
hey just wanted to say thanks for this bit of advice.
i wrestled with this for a long time yesterday, then found this doing an internet search.
it took about 4' of extensions, but it did the trick...thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page