I'm placing an order for a 2011 GT500, what to look for, options, etc. - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

Garage
I'm placing an order for a 2011 GT500, what to look for, options, etc.

I know I want the glass roof....but besides that....is the SVT package worth it? I am already contemplating aftermarket suspension....so is it worht spending the extra dough? Also, what about the electronics package? Never been a fan of factory GPS systems...plus, I'd probably go aftermarket there as well. Get a DVD, with GPS....just need the aftermarket installation adapter/faceplate thingy.

Any other suggestions? I looked at the options list on their website....I just have questions for those of you that have bought/ordered one.

2005 GT premium convertible. Crimson red leather, 18" w Falken rubber. Procharger P1 HO intercooled kit, GT500 throttle body, C&L intake manifold, Edelbrock shorties, Spec stage 3 clutch, Shelby shorty shifter, 3" Granatelli exhaust. Bilstein Shocks and struts, DBA rotors, Hawk pads, Ford Racing swaybars and springs, billet lower control arms, adjustable upper, adjustable panhard bar.

Corn fed.....523.2rwhp/513.9lbft
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010
Apprentice
S197 Member

riktig,

I just got my 2011 a couple of months ago. I got the SVT and the electronics package. I like the SVT package but the ride is a bit harsh but it will take the corners likes it has glue on the tires and you get the 3.73 gears for that added kick in the seat.

I know that some people are a big a fan of the electronics package but in my opinion it is not very user friendly for an option that costs over $1200 and has few useful driver goodies. My Garmin "nuvi" cost less than $200 and has a lot more user friendly functions than the ford unit. After 2 months I'm still trying to figure out how to use the Ford unit. I do like the weather map on the Ford unit.

Overall I would say this car is the most fun to drive of any car I've ever driven - worth the extra 20K!

ricosan:kooky:

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

Garage
After about 2 weeks of searching online....I decided to go to one of the local dealers....they plucked in my "desired" options in their system, and found one in CA. Black with glass roof, SVT package, and NO electronics package. I went there really late tonight...around 9:30ish. They are calling the other dealer in the morning, to see if they can trade their performance white car for the black one. If that all works out...I'll be driving THAT car tomorrow nite!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricosan View Post
riktig,

I just got my 2011 a couple of months ago. I got the SVT and the electronics package. I like the SVT package but the ride is a bit harsh but it will take the corners likes it has glue on the tires and you get the 3.73 gears for that added kick in the seat.

I know that some people are a big a fan of the electronics package but in my opinion it is not very user friendly for an option that costs over $1200 and has few useful driver goodies. My Garmin "nuvi" cost less than $200 and has a lot more user friendly functions than the ford unit. After 2 months I'm still trying to figure out how to use the Ford unit. I do like the weather map on the Ford unit.

Overall I would say this car is the most fun to drive of any car I've ever driven - worth the extra 20K!

ricosan:kooky:

2005 GT premium convertible. Crimson red leather, 18" w Falken rubber. Procharger P1 HO intercooled kit, GT500 throttle body, C&L intake manifold, Edelbrock shorties, Spec stage 3 clutch, Shelby shorty shifter, 3" Granatelli exhaust. Bilstein Shocks and struts, DBA rotors, Hawk pads, Ford Racing swaybars and springs, billet lower control arms, adjustable upper, adjustable panhard bar.

Corn fed.....523.2rwhp/513.9lbft

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricosan View Post
...I know that some people are a big a fan of the electronics package but in my opinion it is not very user friendly for an option that costs over $1200 and has few useful driver goodies. My Garmin "nuvi" cost less than $200 and has a lot more user friendly functions than the ford unit. After 2 months I'm still trying to figure out how to use the Ford unit...
I have to agree; the Garmin is much easier and more fun to use. I have the Ford NAV in both my '08 and '09, and while it works, it's not nearly as nice to use as a $200 Garmin.

'08 Bullitt -Highland Green
'09 GT-500KR -Black/Black

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-02-2010
Rookie

Actually, I like the Electronics package.. its more than just nav. For example, last week I was at a stop light, pushed a couple of buttons and I had all the NFL scores on the screen. I really like the interactive weather map. I used it to see a rain cell on my way to somewhere and drove around it.

Yes the SVTPP cars drive harsh, you can feel every bump. But I like that, lets me know I have something that can carve the roads when I want it to.

Not much of a fan on the glass roof. I like the painted roof, with the stripes. When I was making my decision I came to the conclusion that I could keep the paint in better condition that I could the gless, over time. Then there is the weight factor. The folks at SVT took pounds off to help in performance so I didn't want to add them back with glass.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-08-2010
Rookie
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I took delivery of a 2011 Shelby Kona Blue with the electronics package, SVT Performance package and the glass top and MOST Important...STRIPE DELETE... I'm not into THIN Stripes. I added WHITE stripes same as the non SVT performance package. Love it. I'm into electronics and enjoy the system, especially the voice activation. I wished the shaker 1000 was available with the electronic package so I'll upgrade the Shaker 500 with a subwoofer. I’m very pleased with the overall performance. I’m happy I bought it.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-13-2010
Rookie

If you haven't already - order quickly. 5,000 have been built of the 5,500 run.

With respect to the feature options, there aren't many to choose from. The REAL decision point comes with respect to the SVTPP. It makes all the difference to many, and given that 3/4 of 2011 GT500's have it, I'd hate to try to sell mine in the future without it, but you trade one hell of a lot of overhead to get those damned wheels and tires that give added performance within such a narrow band of opportunities.

As for the Electronics Package, you could certainly go either way. Navigation is certainly nice to have - especially if you have another Ford vehicle with navigation, as everything is instantly familiar. But the fact of the matter is that you take a pretty serious step downward in audio quality over the Shaker 500 - with no factory option to step-up to the 1,000. Plus, if you intend to keep you car for a long time, the navigation will quickly become antiquated - and map updates are both expensive and ineffectual after a certain point versus quantum developments like MyFord Touch. Sure, you get dual zone climate control, but when GT500 strips out power passenger and heated seats and a backup camera Ford robbed GT500 of the opportunity it had to be a very well-featured $50K performance car.

Personally, I love the glass roof - especially as an alternative to the convertible, but it's important to remember that it's not, nor will it ever be, a convertible replacement. I just like how it looks from the outside - and its nice from the cabin on certain days and nights.

As far as the car cover goes, you can certainly order one from parts - but if you plan to buy it anyway, why not have it on the vehicle sticker if that kind of thing matters to you?

At the end of the day, the overwhelmingly most popular configuration for couples coupes are the $57,700 or $57,325 configurations - meaning every available option with the cover being the major difference. So are the $55,705 and $55,330 versions.

About 35% are Black, and more than 20% are Race Red. Fewer than 4% are Grabber Blue.

2013 GT500 Coupe Performance White Race Red Stripes SVT Performance Package SVT Track Package Glass Roof Electronics Package Recaro Seats Shaker Pro Car Cover

2013 GT500 Convertible Performance White Race Red Stripes SVT Performance Package Electronics Package Recaro Seats Shaker Pro Car Cover

2012 BOSS 302 Race Red White "C" Stripe Recaro Seats and Torsen Helical Differential BOSS 302 Car Cover
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-13-2010
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldlugs View Post
I have to agree; the Garmin is much easier and more fun to use. I have the Ford NAV in both my '08 and '09, and while it works, it's not nearly as nice to use as a $200 Garmin.
Of course, it's all subjective, but I've found the current-generation SYNC navigation with Travel Link to be one of the best anywhere - and well worth price, at least initially.

2013 GT500 Coupe Performance White Race Red Stripes SVT Performance Package SVT Track Package Glass Roof Electronics Package Recaro Seats Shaker Pro Car Cover

2013 GT500 Convertible Performance White Race Red Stripes SVT Performance Package Electronics Package Recaro Seats Shaker Pro Car Cover

2012 BOSS 302 Race Red White "C" Stripe Recaro Seats and Torsen Helical Differential BOSS 302 Car Cover
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page