Is Shelby Customer Service Always this Bad? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-08-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Angry Is Shelby Customer Service Always this Bad?

I decided to get a set of Shelby Caps for my engine. $300+ for the kit. I install the caps and get to the washer bottle only to find the cap is too lose and will not stay on. Bad part, deisgn issue, who knows but it is so bad I could not trust it staying on so $50 of this kit is worthless.

I bought these through a local distributor and they were drop shipped direct from Shelby in Nevada. The box even had a business card inside saying to call Shelby if I had any issues,committment to quality, bla, bla, bla. So I called.

To make a long story short, Shelby threw it all back to the distrubutor saying they would do nothing to help replacing the part because I didn't purchase it directly from them. The "nice" man told me that I would need to return the whole set to the original point of purchase and they would need to request the new kit for me. WTF!! They (Shelby) sell single caps but refused to replace the defective product saying the responsibility was with my dealer. I eventually just hung the phone up out of frustration. What a JOKE!!

So I am now working with my distributor trying to get the bad cap replaced and they are doing everything possible to help. Shelby was no help at all and the guy I talked with was a real piece of work. So much for Mr. Shelby's promise of quality on the back of the package, it's total BS. It actually says to call the same number for problems and good luck with that!

So beware or forwarned. Shelby Motor products does not stand behind their products without a hassle or at all in my case. This is a small issue I know (if you consider $300 small) but obviously represents a poor committment to quality and customer service on their part. I am just glad it was not something major.

Wow, I never thought I would get this kind of treatment from them and it has changed my opinion of their company forever. Wish I had bought a new 5.0 now.

Thanks for letting me vent

2008 Shelby GT500 Torch Red / Black - FRP Stingers, Factory Nav, Ambient lighting, HID, Leather Upgrade Package, Seq Tail Lights, Etc..

2011 V6 MCA Edition Ingot Silver / Stone (1 of 6) - Traded

2011 5.0 Grabber Blue GT/CS (1 of 18) - Hers - Auto, Shaker 1000, HID, Comfort and Secuity
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-08-2010
PONY Member
S197 Member

I think it all depends on who you talk to, and what kind of mood they're in at that time... I've had mixed luck dealing with them. Sometimes got the "run-around", but when you finally get the right person to talk with, they make good things happen.

'08 Bullitt -Highland Green
'09 GT-500KR -Black/Black

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Well got my answer. Shelby refuses to do anything, even for my dealer. So my dealer is stepping up and offered a refund for the kit or the cap alone.

Guess that tells it all. I can't understand this logic. How hard is it to replace one cap out of a $300+ kit??? Just amazing.

Looks like I am stuck with the partial kit and will be returning the washer cap only. I installed with the 3M backing on 2 caps, they are stuck to the degree it would damage the OEM caps to remove it.

Really disappointed in Shelby right now.

2008 Shelby GT500 Torch Red / Black - FRP Stingers, Factory Nav, Ambient lighting, HID, Leather Upgrade Package, Seq Tail Lights, Etc..

2011 5.0 Grabber Blue GT/CS (1 of 18) - Hers - Auto, Shaker 1000, HID, Comfort and Secuity

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast_90_50 View Post
Well got my answer. Shelby refuses to do anything, even for my dealer. So my dealer is stepping up and offered a refund for the kit or the cap alone.

Guess that tells it all. I can't understand this logic. How hard is it to replace one cap out of a $300+ kit??? Just amazing.

Looks like I am stuck with the partial kit and will be returning the washer cap only. I installed with the 3M backing on 2 caps, they are stuck to the degree it would damage the OEM caps to remove it.

Really disappointed in Shelby right now.
The caps should all be CNC machined to exact specs. What's much more likely to be out of spec., is the molded plastic of the washer reservoir. Several people have had that same problem, because the plastic wasn't the right size or shape. Machined caps should all be the same, I think.

'08 Bullitt -Highland Green
'09 GT-500KR -Black/Black

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I agree, the caps do look like CNC (or screw machine) with the logo stamped in the cover, but it is not the washer reservoir that has the problem. Also the parts are likely made in China. Have you ever tried explaining tolerance to China??? I have

Inside the cap is a plastic ring that provides the lock. It has to be built this way. If it were aluminum contacting the washer bottle lip, it wouldn't take long for it to eat the lip from the washer bottle. So they did something right, just not to spec.

I would be tempted to say the mold for the plastic part is where the problem is but without removing it I can't determine how it is shot or even if it is injection molded. When I put it under the workbench light it almost looked like it was machined too (faint tool marks). I am sure if I removed it, I could shim it for fit, but not willing to put my $50 on the table to fix a part that should be replaced.

I had the same kit on my 07 GT/CS and there was no problem with any cap. Something changed because the washer bottle is same for both cars. I will stop by the Mustang shop down the street this weekend for a test fit. They carry the same Scott Drake parts, just nothing for the GT500.

Thanks for talking about this with me. I am pretty much over it all at this point. It is obvious Shelby is not interested in investigating it anyway. I will find one somewhere to replace it that actually fits. I know the date code on the package so just need to find one built before that run of parts. I am sure this is not the only one with a problem though. My experience tells me something like this is never an isolated problem.

Edit to add .. The washer bottle cap will not fit 2010+ models. Ford changed the design of the reservoir in 2010. Just FYI if anyone is interested.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page