Need 2008 Mustang GT-500 insight - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Garage
Need 2008 Mustang GT-500 insight

Hello everyone, I have found a nice performance white 08 gt500 at a chevy dealer, with the asking price of $31,995 and has 29,000mi on it. Test driving it was a blast. And so i'm thinking of trading in my 2011 v6( I like the 3.7L for the mpg, and it is quick, was thinking on getting the new procharger for it) even though doing so will put me upside down, but I will not care, I kinda fell it is worth it. So is there anything I need to beware of, or is it a good all around automobile.

97 GT conv. auto built 4r70w performance tranny w/shiftkit can handle 500+hp, k&n cai, upper plenum, bbk aluminum pullykit, bbk 70mm tb, bbk shorties, bbl h-pipes, ford racing 3.73s, 2500 stall, black built rims deep dish 18x9.5 front 18x10 rear, bama sct tunner....more to come 03 mach I front & rear seats

2011 3.7L Pony Package

2013 5.O bama sct tunner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011
MACH I Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Well it's a great car, and if you don't mind losing a few bucks I say go for it! The GT500 has more power than you will get out of the V6 and looks and sounds a lot better. If you really like it that much get it!

XCharger HiPo 2.8, JBA shorty headers, Zabteck ported & polished TB, Mac ProChamber, Flowmaster American Thunders, GT500 shocks/struts/strut mounts, GT500 front LCA's, Shaftmasters 4" aluminum d/s
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011
PONY Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

A GT500 is a great car and lots of folks use them for a DD. Before you dive in check out a few things.

With 29K on the clock you should first have the dealer run you a Car Fax so you can check the history.

Next try to get an Oasis report and see if the clutch TSB has been performed or not. If not you could be in for a clutch / flywheel replacement soon. If you can confirm it has been done, then great.

When test driving watch for any shifting issues and listen to the car carefully. Also look at the tires for wear and under the rear fenders for an accumulation of rubber.... The tires on these are not cheap and if you see a lot of rubber hanging aournd it migh have a hard life behind it you are not aware of.

This is a big change for you to make. You are loosing the factory warranty that you have with the V6. Depending on your model you are loosing Sync and other nice things that are not present with the 08. You are gaining about 200 HP and all the things that go with it, including insurance rates so check that too.

Last ask yourself if this is something you really want to do and will you be happy with it as a DD. Don't get me wrong, it is a blast to drive and nothing but fun but for some it does not work well for daily use so project yourself a year down the road ... will you still be happy with it?

Not trying to talk you out of it or in to it. Just saying to think about it a little more and check the car out really good before taking the plunge.

2008 Shelby GT500 Torch Red / Black - FRP Stingers, Factory Nav, Ambient lighting, HID, Leather Upgrade Package, Seq Tail Lights, Etc..

2011 V6 MCA Edition Ingot Silver / Stone (1 of 6) - Traded

2011 5.0 Grabber Blue GT/CS (1 of 18) - Hers - Auto, Shaker 1000, HID, Comfort and Secuity

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011
GT Member
Classic Member
S197 Member

there is a lot to check for in a car
pretty much what Fast_90_50

if everything works out go for it get the fun car

2006 V6 tungsten gray
Performance= Upgraded headers, Dual GT500 Mufflers, GT swaybars front and back
Looks= Black billet grille, Tri-bar pony, Black out panel, 8" antenna, Sequential taillights, 2010 GT 19" rims, GT front bumper
Interior= Dash cover, 6.3" Jensen touchscreen, white ball shifter, Custom box for a 10" sub

1970 Mustang Coupe SOLD
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-11-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast_90_50 View Post
A GT500 is a great car and lots of folks use them for a DD. Before you dive in check out a few things.

With 29K on the clock you should first have the dealer run you a Car Fax so you can check the history.

Next try to get an Oasis report and see if the clutch TSB has been performed or not. If not you could be in for a clutch / flywheel replacement soon. If you can confirm it has been done, then great.

When test driving watch for any shifting issues and listen to the car carefully. Also look at the tires for wear and under the rear fenders for an accumulation of rubber.... The tires on these are not cheap and if you see a lot of rubber hanging aournd it migh have a hard life behind it you are not aware of.

This is a big change for you to make. You are loosing the factory warranty that you have with the V6. Depending on your model you are loosing Sync and other nice things that are not present with the 08. You are gaining about 200 HP and all the things that go with it, including insurance rates so check that too.

Last ask yourself if this is something you really want to do and will you be happy with it as a DD. Don't get me wrong, it is a blast to drive and nothing but fun but for some it does not work well for daily use so project yourself a year down the road ... will you still be happy with it?

Not trying to talk you out of it or in to it. Just saying to think about it a little more and check the car out really good before taking the plunge.

Thanks for the info, I had went down to the dealer to see what sort of a deal could be worked out but turnned out my sales rep had been terminated, and the car was at a ford dealer getting a new clutch put into it. So I went to the ford dealer to check into it more, and spoke with a mechanic about the shelby and the story checked out. They dropped the asking price to $31,995. Apparently the car had been sitting with them for some time. They have this very same car listed on another sites for $41k with 26k miles on it, and then another one for $36,995, and it has the same vin#. Although I really want this car, may gut is now telling me to leave it be, and be patient. They also told me trading my 2011 v6 would put me about $8,500 up side down, being that I previously traded my 2011 v6 base model, I couldn't stand the plain ass look of the car inside and out(which I traded my paid off bimmer, and $2k down), for the 2011 v6 pony package(i put down $2,500 on it), which I know now was a grave mistake. It was my first time buying a brandnew car, and I was trying to be conservative thinking of the gas prices to come and so forward, I should had went all out and got what I wanted, the 5.0 or looked for a used gt500. Oh well thats life, live and learn. So i'll be hanging on to this 3.7L for a couple years, and maybe I will be able to find a good deal on a 2011 gt500. Sorry for making this sooo long.

97 GT conv. auto built 4r70w performance tranny w/shiftkit can handle 500+hp, k&n cai, upper plenum, bbk aluminum pullykit, bbk 70mm tb, bbk shorties, bbl h-pipes, ford racing 3.73s, 2500 stall, black built rims deep dish 18x9.5 front 18x10 rear, bama sct tunner....more to come 03 mach I front & rear seats

2011 3.7L Pony Package

2013 5.O bama sct tunner
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-11-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00colburn View Post
there is a lot to check for in a car
pretty much what Fast_90_50

if everything works out go for it get the fun car
Yeah, I do fell you on the fun factor. But i'll be hanging on to the 3.7L for a while. On the bright side, I whipped up on a 2010 camaro a few nights ago. I wasn't going to race him, but he kept hunking at me, and he had I guess his girlfrieng with him. He followed me off the highway. That made my night. And I will probably be looking into a supercharger kit when they come out, that will definitly put more fun into this little monster.

2011 3.7L Pony Package

2013 5.O bama sct tunner
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-11-2011
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcrisis2004 View Post
Thanks for the info, I had went down to the dealer to see what sort of a deal could be worked out but turnned out my sales rep had been terminated, and the car was at a ford dealer getting a new clutch put into it. So I went to the ford dealer to check into it more, and spoke with a mechanic about the shelby and the story checked out. They dropped the asking price to $31,995. Apparently the car had been sitting with them for some time. They have this very same car listed on another sites for $41k with 26k miles on it, and then another one for $36,995, and it has the same vin#. Although I really want this car, may gut is now telling me to leave it be, and be patient. They also told me trading my 2011 v6 would put me about $8,500 up side down, being that I previously traded my 2011 v6 base model, I couldn't stand the plain ass look of the car inside and out(which I traded my paid off bimmer, and $2k down), for the 2011 v6 pony package(i put down $2,500 on it), which I know now was a grave mistake. It was my first time buying a brandnew car, and I was trying to be conservative thinking of the gas prices to come and so forward, I should had went all out and got what I wanted, the 5.0 or looked for a used gt500. Oh well thats life, live and learn. So i'll be hanging on to this 3.7L for a couple years, and maybe I will be able to find a good deal on a 2011 gt500. Sorry for making this sooo long.
There are always a few gt500's for sale. So you're making a sound choice by waiting. I hope to have one myself one day. It's my dream mustang. Though I'm very much enjoying my 09 GT. But, for $31,995 I would've been suckered into it. I haven't seen them lower than $40,000. Chances are if you change your mind it will still be available for a while. Shelby's don't seem to sell too quickly but, for good reason.

Let me know if you see a black one.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-12-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Garage
Ok, one last question. 2008 gt500 vs 2011 5.0. I read the snake does 0-60 4.6sec, 1/4 12.8sec, and the 2011 5.0 does 0-60 4.5sec, 1/4 12.7~13.0. I just got my hands on some cash, and was thinking on going to get this 2008 gt500, but started comparing it to the new lighter 5.0. Which has more protiential.

2011 3.7L Pony Package

2013 5.O bama sct tunner
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-13-2011
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Comare the insurance and see if that's a problem for you. From there I'd say get the shelby. Why? It's a shelby! It will stand out compared to the other mustangs out there and they have a monster exhaust note.
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05mystang View Post
Well it's a great car, and if you don't mind losing a few bucks I say go for it! The GT500 has more power than you will get out of the V6 and looks and sounds a lot better. If you really like it that much get it!
My alternative was to buy a regular GT Premium and put a Rousch Supercharger on it. I've got an '08 GT Premium 4.6L with 460 HP that I have a total of $32,500 including supercharger. It's not a GT 500, but my insurance rates are lower and I get great gas mileage when I keep my foot out of it. Last trip from SoCal to Utah was 27.5 mpg.

See avatar....MY CAR...not the movie! Or click on the web address below & see my poor man's Roush powered GT!

By the way, any of you GT 500 owners know if the strut tower brace off a supercharged '08 GT 500 5.4L engine will fit on supercharged '08 4.6L Modular engine?

Last edited by Mr. D; 03-14-2011 at 04:59 AM. Reason: Ad picture
Apprentice
Classic Member

I'm looking at a '07 GT500 with 6800mi for 35K
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page