Grind 1st to 2nd? Ideas? - Page 7 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Rookie
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Question Where I am for now.

Since my last post on the issue of the grinding into 2nd gear I have taken the car to the dealership and spoken to the Shop Foreman. The salesperson who sold me the car has been facilitating a solution to the problem as he knows what my field of expertise is. The issue for me is that no TSB has been released by FOMOCO to fix this problem. It is up to the local dealership to determine what needs to be done and then only after they have removed and disassembled the trans. I am not willing to have them tear the car down until there is a regimented process to follow. I do not want to leave the decision as to what gets fixed to a tech who may not give a damn. In this case I spoke to the tech who does the tranny work and he was not happy about having to work on another one as he had a T-82 trans disassembled and was not happy about how problematic the trans was to take down and was not looking forward to theTR6060.
The Shop Foreman talked with the regional tech person (Brad-I am in Eastern Washington) and there is no knowledge of an ongoing issue nor a TSB for the shop staff to follow. I have been checking with the dealership and the Shop Foreman every two weeks for any further information. Nothing has been forthcoming from FORD. Is there any hope the TSB will come in the immediate future? I suppose at some point I will have to let them take it apart anyway.

2011 Shelby GT 500, SVTPP Package all stock accept Foose Wheels, MRT rear window louvers, side pods from American Muscle.
1985 Mustang GT, Blue Printed 302 w 650 Holley, Twisted Wedge Aluminum Heads, Ram Clutch, Tremec 3550 built by D&D Performance, Aluminum Driveline, Auburn Locker w 31 spline Moser axles, 4:10 gears.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Rookie
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Keep it coming...

By the way..thanks to all those who are keeping us up to speed on what and where you are getting your best repair results. If nothing else I can print out the parts lists, reference the dealerships you are working with and pass that information on the the local guys I am working with. Maybe they can share information and come to some conclusions about what to do.
Many thanks to all. Congrats to those who are happy with their cars again.

2011 Shelby GT 500, SVTPP Package all stock accept Foose Wheels, MRT rear window louvers, side pods from American Muscle.
1985 Mustang GT, Blue Printed 302 w 650 Holley, Twisted Wedge Aluminum Heads, Ram Clutch, Tremec 3550 built by D&D Performance, Aluminum Driveline, Auburn Locker w 31 spline Moser axles, 4:10 gears.
Rookie

BlownPony, I sure hope you can get your car fixed soon.
Have you sent your info to Deysha? It was a Ford customer service rep who managed to get things going for us. I admit I was a first class b***ch, but they were nice to me anyhow.
The car now drives like a different vehicle. It is wonderful!!!

Rookie
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Still Waiting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh3lby View Post
BlownPony, I sure hope you can get your car fixed soon.
Have you sent your info to Deysha? It was a Ford customer service rep who managed to get things going for us. I admit I was a first class b***ch, but they were nice to me anyhow.
The car now drives like a different vehicle. It is wonderful!!!
I have not spoken to Deysha but did contact the locate area (probably Seattle) Ford rep who stated that he knew nothing about the ongoing issues with the transmissions nor was there a TSB from Ford instructing what to do.
I am being very patient and checking with the dealership Shop Manager every two weeks just to check on the TSB status. Nothing yet. When the weather turns bad in the next 30 days I will turn the car over to the shop Manager and tell him to take care of it or take the car back. It has 2300 miles to date. Lost driving time will not be an issue this way and I will have all winter to wait for the finished product therefore not testing my patience or lack of it.
I am pleased that you have your card fixed. Makes it more fun to drive when you know it will shift as designed. I am curious...did they rebuild the trans? Did you put an aftermarket shifter in while it was out of the car? Send me an email and fill me in on the little stuff if you don't mind. You have been through the repair process..maybe I can pick up on a tip or two. Thanks for your well wishes...have a nice weekend.

Rookie
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Thank U Sh3lby for the imformation.

FYI. Thank you for the information and the parts list. I took the car to the dealership this PM and spoke to the shop foreman about any TSB's. None yet. He wants me to wait until late spring to give the car to him for a trans overhaul. From the list you supplied he said they did a thorough job and in fact commented that he was not sure why some the parts on the list were changed out due to not being associated with 1st or 2nd gear. He had a guess but that's another story. At any rate...thank you for your response...I'll cocoon her for the winter and wait for FOMOCO.

P.S. The five week wait you endured did not surprise him. Your dealership really stripped it down!

GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blownpony View Post
FYI. Thank you for the information and the parts list. I took the car to the dealership this PM and spoke to the shop foreman about any TSB's. None yet. He wants me to wait until late spring to give the car to him for a trans overhaul. From the list you supplied he said they did a thorough job and in fact commented that he was not sure why some the parts on the list were changed out due to not being associated with 1st or 2nd gear. He had a guess but that's another story. At any rate...thank you for your response...I'll cocoon her for the winter and wait for FOMOCO.

P.S. The five week wait you endured did not surprise him. Your dealership really stripped it down!
It defies logic, talk about the right hand not talking to the left hand! From what I have gathered reading through posts regarding this complaint ( and there are many, many complaints regarding grinding) FMC could NOT care less about this issue,and when you do take it in,it's pretty much every man for himself....
Dealers and their staff seem to have NO help OR direction from FMC regarding a fix... this is pretty much across the board with the GT500, and the 5.0 GT different transmissions ( manual) with identical complaints; grinding!!!
It's pretty unnerving to say it mildly, taking your car in to the dealer for a non existent TSB is a guessing game at best.
I'm astounded at the fact FORD has NOT stepped up to the plate and addressed this situation months ago,hell of a way to treat your loyal customers!
Mine started the grind (again) through 2nd/ 3rd gears since the weather got cooler, starting the car up and letting it reach operating temps still does nothing,it seems it has to go through a cycle of actual driving before it begins to calm down,it almost appears to be oil viscosity related, BUT then again,some had their oil changed to thinner winter oil with no difference,so in my mind I rule oil OUT as the culprit!
Could it be internal parts misalignment? Does the overnight cold make the steel internal parts "Shrink and Expand" throwing out the very tight tolerances out of whack, until internal transmission parts reach ideal temps?
In the meantime, gears/synchros grind away on a daily basis,wearing them out over time.

Are we to understand by the lack of commitment to resolve this issue, that FORD does not have ANY competent engineers at hand to dissect this worry some issue for the hundreds/thousands of customers experiencing this issue?
I'm not impressed by FORD's lack of action in the least!

2011 GTCS Candy Red;Premium leather interior package, Remote start, security package, upgraded speakers, 6MT 3:55. 35% tint all around, Borla "S" axle backs, & clear corners.
The rest is all FORD
Rookie

I think it needs a thicker oil...not a thinner one. Something like the Pennzoil Synchromesh. At any rate, I don't want to try something while it is still under warranty. AND, they fixed it so it isn't doing it anymore...if it ain't broke...

'12 Kona Blue GT500

FRPP Res Delete | AirRaid Blue Filter | FRPP M-5300-L springs |

Apprentice

Why wait for a TSB? Talk to deysha, get it fixed. No brainer.

'12 Kona Blue GT500 SVTPP/Electronics package
Rookie
5.0L Member
S197 Member

No Confidence at this point!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimm17 View Post
Why wait for a TSB? Talk to deysha, get it fixed. No brainer.
Normally I would agree that just taking the car in for dissection and repair would be the thing to do. Unfortunately in this case, the Shop Foreman is not sure what to do, the SVT Trained shop tech in question just finished with a T 82 from a 5.0 that gave him fits. The method of repair is up in the air as far as Ford Engineering is concerned and the route to accomplish an successful tear down and repair of this issue is at the total discretion of the tech who draws the short straw in doing the warranty repair. Not many positives here!
I would say that my only choice at this point is to be patient and see if Ford Engineering gets going on giving the dealerships some positive direction on what to do once they have taken the trans apart.
If that doesn't happen then I will have to roll the dice and find a tech that is at least confident that the problem can be repaired...and I haven't even broached the issue of Ford supplying the same parts from the same original source as the trans......

Apprentice

I don't claim to know how Ford works, but it seems to me if enough of these repairs get done, then maybe that will trigger a TSB. I think Ford gets the defective parts back so maybe someone is keeping track of all this?

But I DO know if most owners sit on it, then Ford will not know of the scope of the problem.

'12 Kona Blue GT500 SVTPP/Electronics package
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blownpony View Post

The reason you see more parts than just 1-2 gear parts is because they found problems with reverse, 6th and the shifter.
Rookie
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Hello All, I'm new to this Forum, but all too familiar with the 1st to 2nd gear grind. I've taken my car to the dealer regarding this issue 4 times now. They've bled the hydraulics, replaced the trans fluids, added friction modifiers, replaced the factory clutch assy, and replaced the clutch slave assy. but I'm still have the grind issue when quick shifting (Not speed shifting) while the RPM's are above 4500. Now, I'm getting a grind when going from Neutral (Clutch pedal out, engine idling) then going into Reverse, and this is with shifting it slowly... I am really hoping Deysha can put me in touch with the local Customer Service Rep, help me get the long list of parts ordered so I can get the car finally taken care of. To top off my tranny shifting issue, each time I got my car back from the dealer there was a new and separate problem with the car... First time, they didn't plug in all of the electronics on the tranny which knocked out my reverse camera and backup lights. The next time there was a knocking in the driveline... I've spent way more time having them fix things they broke at this point. I really need some help here.. I've sent Deysha a PM with my VIN and details.

Thanks,

-32V-SVT

2011 Shelby GT500
Rookie

Good luck, you're on the right track now. Deysha will see that Ford Customer Service takes good care of you. Let us know how it works out for you. No matter what your dealer tells you, they most probably won't have the 4 special tools that holds things up during a rebuild. They end up having to get them from regional tech training schools (Ford?). I would ask that they verify tools on-hand before starting the work on yours. They may tell you they can't get the tools until they know what the issue is with your trans, which means they need to tear it down first. If this is the case you can pretty much count on being without your ride for 2 weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32V-SVT View Post
Hello All, I'm new to this Forum, but all too familiar with the 1st to 2nd gear grind. I've taken my car to the dealer regarding this issue 4 times now. They've bled the hydraulics, replaced the trans fluids, added friction modifiers, replaced the factory clutch assy, and replaced the clutch slave assy. but I'm still have the grind issue when quick shifting (Not speed shifting) while the RPM's are above 4500. Now, I'm getting a grind when going from Neutral (Clutch pedal out, engine idling) then going into Reverse, and this is with shifting it slowly... I am really hoping Deysha can put me in touch with the local Customer Service Rep, help me get the long list of parts ordered so I can get the car finally taken care of. To top off my tranny shifting issue, each time I got my car back from the dealer there was a new and separate problem with the car... First time, they didn't plug in all of the electronics on the tranny which knocked out my reverse camera and backup lights. The next time there was a knocking in the driveline... I've spent way more time having them fix things they broke at this point. I really need some help here.. I've sent Deysha a PM with my VIN and details.

Thanks,

-32V-SVT

'12 Kona Blue GT500

FRPP Res Delete | AirRaid Blue Filter | FRPP M-5300-L springs |

Rookie
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOGreg View Post
Good luck, you're on the right track now. Deysha will see that Ford Customer Service takes good care of you. Let us know how it works out for you. No matter what your dealer tells you, they most probably won't have the 4 special tools that holds things up during a rebuild. They end up having to get them from regional tech training schools (Ford?). I would ask that they verify tools on-hand before starting the work on yours. They may tell you they can't get the tools until they know what the issue is with your trans, which means they need to tear it down first. If this is the case you can pretty much count on being without your ride for 2 weeks.
Hi Greg, thanks for the heads up... By chance do you know what those 4 tools are specifically? I'd like to tell my service writer up front what's required... If there are "Rotunda" part numbers, or some internal ford part numbers, I'd appreciate having that in hand when I make my next appointment.

Thank you.

2011 Shelby GT500
Rookie

The guys who fixed ours never mentioned special tools. They just had a hard time getting the parts. We were without our car for 5 weeks.
I think we need to keep pushing to have these cars fixed and not just live with the problem.
So many people have troubles with the Tremec 6060, not just Mustang folks. Camaros, Vettes and Vipers have problems, too.
I read in one of the Camaro forums that GM had just replaced the whole transmission in some of them.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
grinding gears , gt500 , tremec

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page