Grind 1st to 2nd? Ideas? - Page 9 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimm17 View Post
Try calling the service manager at Sheehy Ford, Springfield, VA. They did my transmission. They had to get the tools from a local ford technical group in Chantilly, but at least they know how/what to fix and have done it before. Let the service manager know that they did mine (kona blue 2012) and maybe they'll offer to help you out.

Zimm17,

Thanks a lot for the information.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Rookie

Question Hmmm..

Quote:
Try calling the service manager at Sheehy Ford, Springfield, VA. They did my transmission. They had to get the tools from a local ford technical group in Chantilly, but at least they know how/what to fix and have done it before. Let the service manager know that they did mine (kona blue 2012) and maybe they'll offer to help you out.
I wonder if I should take mine out of state to get mine fixed ?

Rookie
Classic Member

Oh boy

I bought a 2011 GT500 2 weeks ago and have the 1st to 2nd shifting problem which I didn't on the test drive since I never push someone else's car hard. I only get it when I am accelerating hard and go from 1st to 2nd. I can tell by the chain that there is no point in complaining and ranting, so I only want some guidance on next steps. I live in Austin TX and bought the car lightly used (7K) from Maxwell Ford. I will take the car in, but I am reluctant to just have them start trying things. Is there an suggestion on how to approach this professionally to minimize hassle. I love the car and have several 60's Mustangs so I really want to give Ford a chance to keep my business and maybe sell a 2013 next year.
Mitch

Rookie
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbra1 View Post
I wonder if I should take mine out of state to get mine fixed ?
If you do, I would highly suggest you get the Service Manager to do a ride along in your car to demonstrate the grind issue before you leave it. I've been taking mine to a dealer outside my area (22 miles east) and have been plagued with them trying various things all leading up to an eventual tear down, or replacement of the Trans. Hopefully your venture will be close enough to where it doesn't create a burden if they call you back in. The Service Manager ultimately needs to go to bat for you with the Warranty division at Ford to authorize a corrective action. In my case they called in a special service tech to evaluate the grind issue in my claim, and he couldn't recreate the problem... The SM said you'll have to come in and show me the problem on the road, so I can say I've seen it happen. That all being done now, my car is finally on it's way to being repaired. I should have it back next week in fact.

2011 Shelby GT500
Rookie
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Got my shelby back!

I got my Shelby back finally... The Service Manager pushed to have my transmission replaced all together. It took a couple extra days for the new unit to arrive, and two days for the old one to be pulled and replaced.
I took delivery of the car last Friday and have put about 60 miles on it. The primary problem of the 1st to 2nd grind has not been tested as I need to allow at least 1000 miles to tick off for the break in.
My grind going from neutral to Reverse is gone, so at least that's taken care of. I'll post more results when the break in is done.

2011 Shelby GT500
Apprentice

Break-in is 100 miles....

'12 Kona Blue GT500 SVTPP/Electronics package
Rookie
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Break-in is 100 miles....
Zimm17, I'm doing this per the Service Manager's request. It's the least I can do on my part. I don't mind the extra time to ensure proper break in.
Once the 1000 miles passes I'm going to request the fluids get changed for good measure.

2011 Shelby GT500
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32V-SVT View Post
Zimm17, I'm doing this per the Service Manager's request. It's the least I can do on my part. I don't mind the extra time to ensure proper break in.
Once the 1000 miles passes I'm going to request the fluids get changed for good measure.
The service manager here called me and Ford is sending a field engineer tech out to verify the issue.

It just might take a lil time due to cold weather and such.

FordService

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbra1 View Post
The service manager here called me and Ford is sending a field engineer tech out to verify the issue.

It just might take a lil time due to cold weather and such.
Hi slowbra1,

Let me know if you’d like me to escalate this for you.

Deysha
Rookie

Just bought a 2011 Gt 500 and am having a 1-2 shift problem and the rear clutch howl when I turn. Only 2800 miles when I bought it 5 days ago. I sold my 2011 GT to upgrade and it seems I downgraded. I even drove 375 miles to get because it seemed like a good deal.

2011 Kona Blue GT500 SVTPP/Electronics package
Rookie
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by backinastang View Post
Just bought a 2011 Gt 500 and am having a 1-2 shift problem and the rear clutch howl when I turn. Only 2800 miles when I bought it 5 days ago. I sold my 2011 GT to upgrade and it seems I downgraded. I even drove 375 miles to get because it seemed like a good deal.
Backinastang, you've definitely made an upgrade... Deysha opened a request for me and once a CS Rep contacted me and made note of the problems, I started making progress. I hear a little noise from the rear clutch packs when driving slowly in a parking lot, but it doesn't bother me a bit. The trans shifting problem was my main concern, and it's completely resolved now.

Thanks Deysha!!!!

2011 Shelby GT500
Rookie

Yeah, I had a lot more noise out of a 12 bolt moser I ran in a 2000 SS back in the day but I can't shift quickly into 2nd. My 2011 Gt tranny shift a lot better. Also, the M6 in my old SS is the same tranny as this and I never had this problem. It kinda takes the sport out of sports car. I was going to upgrade my GT but wanted a warranty so I went with a GT 500. I liked 550 hp with piece of mind. Plus this is suppose to be a better tranny ? I hope they take care of it. Going to Covert in Austin where I bought my GT. Driving back to OkC isn't really an option.

2011 Kona Blue GT500 SVTPP/Electronics package
Rookie
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by backinastang View Post
Yeah, I had a lot more noise out of a 12 bolt moser I ran in a 2000 SS back in the day but I can't shift quickly into 2nd. My 2011 Gt tranny shift a lot better. Also, the M6 in my old SS is the same tranny as this and I never had this problem. It kinda takes the sport out of sports car. I was going to upgrade my GT but wanted a warranty so I went with a GT 500. I liked 550 hp with piece of mind. Plus this is suppose to be a better tranny ? I hope they take care of it. Going to Covert in Austin where I bought my GT. Driving back to OkC isn't really an option.
I had to endure several visits to my local dealer... They are forced to follow a scripted series of fixes in an attempt to take the least costly path to resolution... Expect the following:
  1. Bleed the crap out of your hydraulic clutch assy...
  2. Replace the fluids in your trans, and add friction modifier...
  3. replace the Clutch Slave Cylinder...
  4. Replace the entire clutch assy...
  5. Finally, they will opt to either rebuild your tranny, not knowing what the real offender is inside the case, or if your lucky the Service Manager goes to bat for you and he orders a "New" replacement with all the latest upgrades already installed.
Good luck friend! You'll be very happy once this is all done!!!

2011 Shelby GT500
Apprentice

I didn't have to do any of that. Depends on the dealer.

I just saw on another forum that Ford is coming out with a TSB soon to address this issue. Can anyone confirm? Ford?

'12 Kona Blue GT500 SVTPP/Electronics package
FordService

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32V-SVT View Post
Backinastang, you've definitely made an upgrade... Deysha opened a request for me and once a CS Rep contacted me and made note of the problems, I started making progress. I hear a little noise from the rear clutch packs when driving slowly in a parking lot, but it doesn't bother me a bit. The trans shifting problem was my main concern, and it's completely resolved now.
Thanks Deysha!!!!
You're very welcome, 32V-SVT! That's great!

Quote:
I didn't have to do any of that. Depends on the dealer.
I just saw on another forum that Ford is coming out with a TSB soon to address this issue. Can anyone confirm? Ford?
I won't know until it comes out, zimm17.

Deysha

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
grinding gears , gt500 , tremec

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page