Whipple Supercharger - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-01-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Whipple Supercharger

Hello all,

I have a 2008 Shelby GT500 Convertible, and I was thinking about changing the supercharger in the future. But first, I have a few questions.

The supercharger that I would plan on using is a Whipple. The link to it is here - Whipple Industries

Now, we are also going to add a 4R70W automatic transmission into it. If we added this supercharger, would there be any problems with the automatic? Another question is that if we do in fact do the supercharger swap, will I have to change any other parts? How much boost would I be able to run on the stock cooling and parts? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Mainn

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-08-2011
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainn View Post
Hello all,

I have a 2008 Shelby GT500 Convertible, and I was thinking about changing the supercharger in the future. But first, I have a few questions.

The supercharger that I would plan on using is a Whipple. The link to it is here - Whipple Industries

Now, we are also going to add a 4R70W automatic transmission into it. If we added this supercharger, would there be any problems with the automatic? Another question is that if we do in fact do the supercharger swap, will I have to change any other parts? How much boost would I be able to run on the stock cooling and parts? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Mainn

Mainn,

The 2.9L kit is a great choice. It's our most popular selling supercharger kit for the 07-12 GT500's by a longshot. There's nothing wrong at all with running a supercharger on an auto car. As long as your tuner properly tunes the vehicle that's all that matters.

With the 2.9L depending on the HP level you want to support you "may" have to do some other supporting mods.

If you simply want to bolt the supercharger on with the stock throttle body/intake and run it at low boost you can without any issues. You'll make around 630/640rwhp on 93 octane.

If you want to turn it up and make the upper 600's you're going to need a few other things.

Intake, Custom Tune, 72lb Injectors and aftermarket throttle body.

Here's a kit we put together for our customers which is probably the best way to go if you want the entire package and not have to piece things together by yourself.

Lethal Performance 07-2012 GT500 700rwhp 2.9L Supercharger Package [LP-29700PACKAGE] : Lethal Performance, Performance parts for Ford Mustangs

It comes with
-W175ax 2.9L Whipple Supercharger (Black or Polished)
-Whipple 160mm Monoblade Throttle Body or Dual 75mm Throttle Body (Your Choice)
-JLT 123mm Cold Air Intake (Or upgrade to JLT 127mm Carbon Fiber Intake or Whipple 123mm intake, select from drop down menu)

-SCT Xcalibrator 3 Handheld Flash Device
-Custom 2.9L Whipple Tune
-Custom 72lb Fuel Injectors (Fits under the stock fuel rails without any modification)
-NKG TR6 Spark Plugs (8)

If you have any other questions please feel free to give us a call.

Thanks, Jared

LETHAL PERFORMANCE, INC.
877-2LETHAL
LETHAL
performance.com
Whipple Supercharger's Largest US Distributor
The Fuel System Guru's!!
SPECIAL ALLFORDMUSTANGS DISCOUNT: USE COUPON CODE ALLFORDS when checking out.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Awesome, thanks for the reply! However, we have already ordered a tune, so would it be possible to have that package but not have the SCT handheld flash device?

An alternative could just be switching the supercharger pulley to a 2.65in one, like the one found in this link. - http://www.americanmuscle.com/steeda...er-pulley.html

For traction, I would probably buy and install these - http://www.americanmuscle.com/ford-3...arbondisc.html
http://www.americanmuscle.com/upper-...jandm2005.html
http://www.americanmuscle.com/2005-p...ling-arms.html

Would those be okay to help with traction? To add to that, with the pulley, will I need to change anything else on the car?

Thanks,

Mainn

EDIT: Just realized that the Whipple is probably too expensive.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011
PONY Member
S197 Member

I have a 2.9 kit that I got through Lethal. They are a class act. I only get my parts there. On 91 I am making 642 / 585 rwhp/rwtq

Osiris - '07 Shelby GT500 - Black
under construction
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
whipple supercharger

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page