2013 Mustang GT-500 coupe or convertible? - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Apprentice

The problem with convertibles is that they are not as strong structurally. They have to build the lower frame stiff enough for the horse power. Oh yeah, these are unibody cars. That makes it worse. The floor pan is really where all the strength comes from. If you are going to mod this 663 hp car to 1000, then you can look to the enzo problem of the car breaking itself in half. There really is only one choice for me and that will be the coupe as this is a real serious car and it needs a roof.

The speed of light is faster than the speed of sound. That is why people look smart until you hear them speak.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

PONY Member
S197 Member

Get the convertible and enjoy it. If you're not going to race or abuse the car, it'll hold up just fine. I don't know why everyone is so consumed by "needing" more power, when you can't even get 550 to hook up without drag radials. A '13 'vert would be a great street cruiser stock. If you really need to race the car, then the coupe will be your better choice. If I could have had my '09 KR in a 'vert, I would have bought one instead of the coupe.
BTW- a modern unibody car is actually stiffer than the old muscle cars with separate frames. That's part of the reason they handle better than they used to.

Get the 'vert. - My choice would be either the Sterling Gray or Deep Impact Blue, and stripe delete...

'08 Bullitt -Highland Green
'09 GT-500KR -Black/Black

Apprentice
4.6L Member

There is a nice one sitting at a Dealer in MI see attached, he is selling at MSRP.

For me a convertible keeps me from excessive speeding since you have a much greater aural and seat of the pants sense of speed even when at legal limits, besides the Wife likes riding in it better.

Great 360-degree vision, easier to park.

When cruising you get more of a connection with your surroundings, when sightseeing; see more, hear more, feel more.

Last and totally irrelevant/irreverent; fitting stuff from Home Depot is easier in Vert, LOL
Attached Files
File Type: pdf GT500 vert.pdf (1.37 MB, 382 views)

Rookie

Coupe for sure. One thing is the speed isn't capped on the Coupe AND it looks damn good with the stripes running across the roof.
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

coupe with glass roof. problem solved. but Im the kinda guy that would never own a vert. I'm all about performance.

2010 Performance White Mustang GT
FRRP Hot Rod Cams, CAI+Tune, longtube headers, Steeda intake delete plugs, Spec stage 2 clutch and flywheel, SLP LM, 3.73 gears, hurst short throw, steeda LCA, Steeda sport springs, gt500 struts, Powerslot rotors, and a bunch of appearance mods
324rwhp 308tq
Rookie
S197 Member

Here is a vert that has all the power that you can handle. It is easy to get to the 155 limit if you need to go that fast.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0425.JPG
Views:	3810
Size:	477.4 KB
ID:	163153   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0407.JPG
Views:	555
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	163154   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0409.JPG
Views:	357
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	163155   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0410.JPG
Views:	298
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	163156   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0413.JPG
Views:	298
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	163157  

Name:	IMG_0419.JPG
Views:	286
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	163158   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0418.JPG
Views:	266
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	163159   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0426.JPG
Views:	6996
Size:	534.7 KB
ID:	163160   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0415.JPG
Views:	224
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	163161   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0411.JPG
Views:	3309
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	163162  

2013 Vert GT500 Shelby Candy Red Metallic With Ingot Siver Stripes
CDC Light Bar, NAV System, Heated Seats
Redine Hood Struts, JLT CAI Carbon Fiber Intake Tube, Bangastang Radiator Cover, Side Scoops
Interior Silverhorse Racing Door Handles
19" HRE 890R 3 piece aluminum polish wheels with Goodyear Tires
PONY Member
4.6L Member

Hard call, depending on what you want to do with it. I'm placing my order today for a coupe with everything but the glass roof. Took me 3 months to find a dealership that didn't want a huge mark up so I'm getting it at sticker. Down side, I hate freaking payments.
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

I have two convertibles and love them. But then again, I'm in Hawaii!

2011 Shelby Convertible w/SVT Performance & Electronics Packages
2011 Shelby GTS V6 Convertible, AT, CAI, Aluminum DS, 3.73, Tune
Apprentice

I'd go for a 'vert, but I'm biased :kooky:
Apprentice

I've enjoyed a year's worth of driving a '12 GT with a glass roof in automatic. I like to have a choice, so tomorrow, I'm picking up a '13 GT convertible.

His and His 5.0's

2018 GT Premium Fastback Lightning Blue/Auto10.
2017 Raptor Black/Auto10/Glass Roof.
GT Member
S197 Member

Buy a vert ....I have really enjoyed this car.....beautiful top down with the fall colours.....just don't park under a tree in the fall topdown......or be prepared to do a lot of vacumming

2007 G5 alloy Premium vert GT. 4.6V8 5spd Black leather int with dove Shaker 1000 My colour dash Sirius GT appearance pkg Light bar Sequentials Shelby wheels/tires Shelby splitter tinted lights Bullitt strut brace Billett interior trim Rear blackout panel 3D carbon side scoops windscreen,flowmaster american thunder axel backs Bama tune Sctx4 tuner JLT CAI series 3
PONY Member
S197 Member

If you want a Shelby, get the 200 MPH coupe. If you want a vert, save your money and get a GT. I had 2007 yellow vert (pics in prof), that I modded & had blast with with. Two days ago I bought a Shelby 2013 Coupe. With all that HP, believe me, you want a roof. Pass on the glass unless you like to bake in summer.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	shelby13.jpg
Views:	8708
Size:	138.2 KB
ID:	165784  

13 Shelby GT500 - SVT Perf Pak - SVT Trak Pak - Electronics Pkg w/NAV - Leather Recaros - JL Audio Stereo Upgrade
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witchstang View Post
Pass on the glass unless you like to bake in summer.
There's a light screen, there's A/C, plus, the glass doesn't hold the heat like a black metal roof (in my case) does.

2018 GT Premium Fastback Lightning Blue/Auto10.
2017 Raptor Black/Auto10/Glass Roof.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page