2013 Mustang GT-500 coupe or convertible? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-19-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

2013 Mustang GT-500 coupe or convertible?

hello everyone, just looking to get some advice from you all, in the middle of this week ill be ordering a new 2013 shelby gt500, ill order it black with black stripes, recaro seats, navigation system and the track package, the only thing its driving me nuts its, should i get a convertible or coupe with glass roof? here in portland its raining most of the year but when the summer comes up its really nice weather to enjoy and we all know how nice a gt500 looks on convertible. i guess my real questions its, should i sacrifice the 200mph that the coupe gt500 offers for the 155 on the convertible?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-19-2012
PONY Member
S197 Member

You won't go 200 MPH anyways... get what you think will be fun for you

Osiris - '07 Shelby GT500 - Black
under construction
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-19-2012
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersnake12 View Post
hello everyone, just looking to get some advice from you all, in the middle of this week ill be ordering a new 2013 shelby gt500, ill order it black with black stripes, recaro seats, navigation system and the track package, the only thing its driving me nuts its, should i get a convertible or coupe with glass roof? here in portland its raining most of the year but when the summer comes up its really nice weather to enjoy and we all know how nice a gt500 looks on convertible. i guess my real questions its, should i sacrifice the 200mph that the coupe gt500 offers for the 155 on the convertible?
I'd go with the convertible or a regular roof - no glass. Here's some pics of a Super Snake in the same colours as what you want. Personally if I had a convertible, I would just leave the stripes off.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3338 (5)r1.jpg
Views:	69959
Size:	719.9 KB
ID:	155881   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3339 (6)r1.jpg
Views:	34295
Size:	744.7 KB
ID:	155882  

2014 Sterling Grey 5.0 Brembo
* ROUSH Axle-Back Exhaust
* JLT Oil Separator (Passenger)
* RAXIOM Tail Light Sequencer
* ARAID Race CAI
* BAMA Tune (91-Perf / 93-Race)
* 20% Tint

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

I like the vert a little bit more, but I'm also concerned about horse power, I know I can raised the hp on a vert that much, what u guys think, a vert with a 1,000hp sounds good? Or too much for a vert?
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012
Apprentice

What are you going to do with the car? If you are going for sunday drives and grocery shopping or the occasional date, the convertible is fine. If you are buying this for it's performance and will track the car, a convertible will not work. Convertible chasis are not stiff enough for a lot of horsepower.

The speed of light is faster than the speed of sound. That is why people look smart until you hear them speak.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mufflerbearing View Post
What are you going to do with the car? If you are going for sunday drives and grocery shopping or the occasional date, the convertible is fine. If you are buying this for it's performance and will track the car, a convertible will not work. Convertible chasis are not stiff enough for a lot of horsepower.
That's The thing, I sort of need it for both!, I think if I get a vert I can kiss the track good bye
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012
Apprentice

Here's a solution that I came up with. Buy the convertible and then get a dedicated car for the track. I picked up a Shelby which is fun at the track, but the stock brakes are very lacking, so it is the date car, but I have an FR500 that just rocks at the track.

The speed of light is faster than the speed of sound. That is why people look smart until you hear them speak.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersnake12 View Post
That's The thing, I sort of need it for both!, I think if I get a vert I can kiss the track good bye
Check your track, but many won't allow a vert on the track without at least a four point roll-bar......some require a 6 point roll-bar.

2013 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
Candy Apple Red, Auto, FRPP Tune, GT500 Axlebacks, KONI Yellow Sport (adjustable dampers), FRPP Front and Rear swaybars, Custom Removable 4 Point Roll-Bar, BOSS 302 Low Expansion Brake Lines, Roush side splitters, GT500 spoiler, Redline Tuning hood struts,18" Ford Chromed Aluminum Wheels (9R3Z-1K007-A), Michelin Pilot Super Sports - 235X50X18
2011 Mustang V6 Premium Convertible - Gone
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioguy View Post
Check your track, but many won't allow a vert on the track without at least a four point roll-bar......some require a 6 point roll-bar.
i have never been a fan of roll over bars, thats why i think i wouldnt take it to the track
Apprentice

All the new stuff like launch control and electronic switchable shocks (track pac?) screams coupe.
However, I'm considering a used 2012 shelby vert. because I'll never track her.
I've been driving a 2011 v6 vert. MT. Since Jan2011
I was sold on a mustang in general when I sat in a 2011 Shelby and wrapped my hand around the shifter ball.

Have you ever owned a vert? What kind?

I still own a '67 327 350hp Corvette Vert. It sits on a bendpac 4post just above the mustang.

As you can tell I'm vert. biased.

Really be honest with yourself. Track or no-Track.

Cheers,

Chris

Elvis is in the building:
2011 V6 MT Vert Pony Package, Sterling, Saddle Leather, Interior Upgrade,
Cloth Top, 3:31 rear, tape delete
Ordered Aug 30, 2010
Expected in 4 month's (xmas present?)
Arrival 08Jan2011
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-23-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisvector View Post
All the new stuff like launch control and electronic switchable shocks (track pac?) screams coupe.
However, I'm considering a used 2012 shelby vert. because I'll never track her.
I've been driving a 2011 v6 vert. MT. Since Jan2011
I was sold on a mustang in general when I sat in a 2011 Shelby and wrapped my hand around the shifter ball.

Have you ever owned a vert? What kind?

I still own a '67 327 350hp Corvette Vert. It sits on a bendpac 4post just above the mustang.

As you can tell I'm vert. biased.

Really be honest with yourself. Track or no-Track.

Cheers,

Chris
so far in the past i owned a 2000 mustang race red convertible, then i got a 2008 black coupe and then a 2011 convertible, i love the way convertible looks, however i love adding power to the cars, my 2008 coupe pulls 425hp, but i wont be able to do that do a convertible, btw the convertible does not have track packages and launch control? if i get a convertible i wont take it to the track thats for sure, i dont really care not going to the track as long as i feel comfortable on the car, the problem its that i feel comfortable on both
Rookie
4.6L Member
S197 Member

I live in Eugene and love my '10 gt convertible. I don't go to the track though. When the rain lets up, it's awesome. Helps with the vitamin D levels.

Sent from my eyePhone
PONY Member
4.6L Member

We love our 09 GT Vert. But there has been days during the summer when it just to f'n hot to riding around with the top down. But on the other hand it sure is nice on a clear night. We are lucky enough that we a 04 Cobra and our 09 GT500 for when we feel like driving a little more "aggressive driving" I guess I really did not help any. Either way good luck. I also like the black with matte black stripes.

2009 GT 500 FRPP FR3 Handling Package, Flowmasters
SOLD! 2009 GT(mine)Glassroof, FRPP Intake, CNC Heads, Cams, GT 500 TB, Flowmasters, JLT CAI, 4.10
2009 GT(hers)Vert
2004 Cobra 2.8H KB 648rwhp/620rwtq
2010 F150 FX4 Crew Cab
2006 CBR 600RR
Apprentice

I love my vert and I'm very happy with my decision. But with that said I can't go to the track because I need a cage to run 13.49 or quicker
SHELBY GT-40 ULTIMATE Member
4.6L Member

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to jim293
I say the coupe. Not a vert guy. I think the coupe looks more racy anyway.

2002 Saleen S/C Coupe
#293 Torch Red
21st Century Intercooler & Heat Exchanger
Brembo Brakes
Corbeau Seats
#14 RMR (Red Mustang Registry)
Power in the hands of a few
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page