My 2013 Mustang GT500 Arrived - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-21-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

My 2013 Mustang GT500 Arrived

It's in my garage! I got it fully loaded (minus the glass roof) for MSRP.

For those that are dying to know (waiting to receive their own). Here are my first impressions on the GT500. As a reference I'm coming from a 2011 Mustang GT Premium, stock engine w/ tune and a fully modified suspension and RTR wheels w/ Nitto N555s.

1. The 3.31s and the tall gearing feel really good for the street, more torque than the tires can handle at any RPM. I can't comment on track driving yet. The long gearing is really only 1st gear and after I got used to it (about an hour) I like it.

2. Traction control has never been more useful. Bonus - the traction control feels a lot less intrusive than my 2011 GT. It doesn't feel like nasty throttle cut + ABS, it feels more gradual and intelligently attenuated so it doesn't just kick in and kill the fun. It will let you spin the tires just enough with traction control on. I can say for the first time in any car I've owned (and there have been 34 in total) this is the first time I don't feel annoyed by traction control and that's pretty huge.

3. Grip -- it needs MORE. I'm not talking about lateral grip for turns, I'm talking about straight up acceleration. This car really needs 325s. I can't say what that would do to the understeer on a road course, but it certainly would help put more power to the ground as this car will burn rubber just by thinking about it.

4. Recaros, Recaros, Recaros. Having spent a lot of time in the non-recaros, I can say with certainty, I would have paid twice as much for these seats and still been happy. Supportive but nice. I'm 6'4 200lbs average build and I fit very nicely.

5. I love the one-piece carbon fiber drive shaft. No more clunk when you forget to feather the clutch when coming to a stop or during that 3mph stop and go in traffic. Thanks Ford!

6. TRACK APPS! It's almost like they gave us an OBD2 reader right there in the dash. Gas mileage graphs over time, instant mpg, boost pressure, intake temp, everything (wish it told me my tire pressure but whatever). I haven't played with the cornering and acceleration apps yet.

7. Push button ride control -- I am so glad I got the push button ride control. I live in San Francisco and those potholes feel tolerable in Normal mode, then once I get out of the city, I put in Sport mode and the whole car firms up like a totally different car.

8. Handling compared to a stock 2011 Mustang GT: Stock for stock, when I put the Shelby in sport mode, the Shelby feels more responsive and tighter. I got a chance to look under the car while they were cleaning it up at the dealership and they definitely beefed up the LCA and PHB. However I do feel like lowering the car 1" will help quite a bit to stiffen up a bit more. And if those ZL1 guys give us too much grief, then maybe swap the PHB for a watts link and wider tires in the back and call it a day.

9. Appearance. You've probably google'd the GT500 over and over like I did, and you probably thought it looked good, but let me tell you -- it looks SO MUCH BETTER in person. Mine was completely black and freshly polished so that probably helped.

10. Worth it? YES. Do I feel like a hick driving a SRA tractor? Whatever - let the Chevy guys gloat over their one "on paper advantage". The Shelby feels great on the road. Honestly, I'm unbiased and feel the ZL1 is a great car and a great technological feat, but I chose the car that fit my desires best.

And here are the photos... BTW - is there a way to post in the thread other than as an attachment?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Engine.jpg
Views:	3245
Size:	114.4 KB
ID:	158382   Click image for larger version

Name:	Front.png
Views:	3709
Size:	831.1 KB
ID:	158383   Click image for larger version

Name:	FrontQuarter.png
Views:	2261
Size:	965.5 KB
ID:	158384   Click image for larger version

Name:	RearQuarter.jpg
Views:	8738
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	158385   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear.png
Views:	14472
Size:	993.3 KB
ID:	158386  

Click image for larger version

Name:	CobraThumb.jpg
Views:	557
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	158387  

2013 Mustang GT500 SVT & Track Package (Delivered!)
2011 Mustang GT Premium Brembo 6MT 3.73 SOLD

Finally I can love an American car again...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-21-2012
PONY Member
S197 Member

Wicked lookin' car - I like it!
I'm almost tempted to trade my Bullitt on a 2013 GT500 'vert ...

'08 Bullitt -Highland Green
'09 GT-500KR -Black/Black

post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-21-2012
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

F'in awesome, congrats!

'11 GT

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-21-2012
PONY Member

^that wow op so sexy&sleek

2013 mt82 3.7-spl del/sgm/charcoal/tech pack/recaro
Mods, 3.5"ant/dynomax mid exh/bronze tsws 245/50/18 kumho/sportline-pro kit&gt500 mounts/J&M phb/eibach lcas/redline/roush/sk&pedals/gt-wfg/cf blkout/license insert&upper grille, mustang sills, jlt/3.73s/steeda 93perf&sctx3, am mirrors&tlc/roof wing/open lower/stillen lip/steeda sts&bush/rtr'd rear
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-21-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Thanks guys! I'll try to post more pics when I take better photos with a proper camera.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldlugs View Post
I'm almost tempted to trade my Bullitt on a 2013 GT500 'vert ...
These cars are going for 15k over. If you can find one for MSRP I'd say go for it, but you've already got a great car, maybe hold off for a year when these cars drop below MSRP.

Having said that -- this car is worth the 15k over (IMO). Other cars can claim all the handling awesomness they want, but driving a ~700hp car is like skydiving to work every morning.

post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012
FordService

Quote:
Originally Posted by angryBits View Post
It's in my garage! I got it fully loaded (minus the glass roof) for MSRP.
GORGEOUS!!! Great write up as well. Congrats, angryBits!!!

Deysha
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Very nice! Especially since you elected not to have the stripes going over the car. That plane black looks mean!

08 Corvette auto 10.88 @ 125.25 mph, 1.56 60'
06 Mustang 12.907 @ 104.87 mph, 1.959 60'
98 Camaro auto 10.76 @ 122.64 mph 1.44 60'
88 347 Mustang - 10.30 @ 127 mph, 1.36 60'
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8850 View Post
Very nice! Especially since you elected not to have the stripes going over the car. That plane black looks mean!
Thanks! I wanted to see how it looked in person without stripes. It looks really nice. I'm thinking that I MIGHT get a red stripe on the side and no stripes on the top. Or maybe get the matte black stripes on the top and side.

post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012
PONY Member
S197 Member

Is this your daily driver? I would bet it still needs aftermarket control arms. I would say springs for sure so you can keep the push button suspension. How is the body roll? Do you think sway bar upgrades are needed? Some 10.5 or 11 inch rears would be a must I think for some 305 or 315's. I use a r compound tire for the street but I live in a much dryer location than you do. For the watts link, unless you are looking to shave tenths off of lap times an adjustable PHB is good enough. After you get used to the car take a look at the tuners. I've seen them making 640 at the wheels with a tune only. I can't wait until they make a pulley for it.

Osiris - '07 Shelby GT500 - Black
under construction
Rookie
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Beautiful!! I like it without the stripes!
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osiris View Post
Is this your daily driver? I would bet it still needs aftermarket control arms. I would say springs for sure so you can keep the push button suspension. How is the body roll? Do you think sway bar upgrades are needed? Some 10.5 or 11 inch rears would be a must I think for some 305 or 315's. I use a r compound tire for the street but I live in a much dryer location than you do. For the watts link, unless you are looking to shave tenths off of lap times an adjustable PHB is good enough. After you get used to the car take a look at the tuners. I've seen them making 640 at the wheels with a tune only. I can't wait until they make a pulley for it.
I think you hit the nail on the head here.

It definitely needs 305 or 315s if I can get a wheel to fit, however these Goodyear Eagle F1s are barely broken in with 200 miles so far. Not sure if they're going to get grippier.

I'm cool with the stock power level. This car makes 500ft/lbs at the wheels at 2000 rpms. I'm pretty good at feathering the throttle/clutch on a car and I'm still a bit nervous. Last night I accidentally made the car go completely 90 degrees sideways around a typical city right turn at like 15mph with traction control on -- no joke -- 100% accidental because for a split-second I forgot this car wasn't my 2011 GT -- it's THAT EASY to spin the wheels even with traction control on.

Regarding the watts link... To be 100% honest, I'm not skilled enough to make use of it - it would be purely for increased acceptance among SRA haters... I know I'm shameful...

Body roll in "Normal" mode is significant. You feel like you're driving a family sedan with crap-tons of power.

Body roll in "Sport" mode is present but minimal enough that a 1" drop would make it perfect.

As for the sway bars, I'd say its a matter of preference here. Like I said before, there is SOME body roll in "Sport" mode. Whether you want to attack that with springs or try sway bars or both is up to you. Personally I'd like to attempt to keep the stock ride height to avoid scraping on the driveway like I did in my 2011 GT. So fat sway bars are on my christmas list.

PONY Member
S197 Member

Beautiful car. Much nicer than the Camaro. They were hot when they came out, now the design is just... eh. Not sure how to put it. Give me the Mustang body lines any day. And I'm glad there are folks that get to enjoy these beautiful steeds. Sadly not poor bastards like me

Sent from a lumpy rock in my lawn using Hammer & Chisel
Over: 2008 GT Premium, Black, Smoked out LED taillights, Roush window louvers, Cervinis Type IV ram air hood & hood struts, Ford Racing FR500s axlebacks, Cravenspeed stubby antenna, CDC Classic chin spoiler
Under: JLT 3 Intake with Brenspeed tune, Koni shocks & struts, J&M Extreme rear LCA's, J&M adj panhard bar, Strut tower brace, Charcoal AMR wheels, Conti Extreme DW tires 255/45/18
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by angryBits View Post
Thanks! I wanted to see how it looked in person without stripes. It looks really nice. I'm thinking that I MIGHT get a red stripe on the side and no stripes on the top. Or maybe get the matte black stripes on the top and side.
Stripes on the sides if done right will look good. But never any over the top!

08 Corvette auto 10.88 @ 125.25 mph, 1.56 60'
06 Mustang 12.907 @ 104.87 mph, 1.959 60'
98 Camaro auto 10.76 @ 122.64 mph 1.44 60'
88 347 Mustang - 10.30 @ 127 mph, 1.36 60'
Banned

Beautiful car that can make a lot of people envious I'm sure. So, if they are going for $15K over MSRP as you said, how did you get your's at MSRP?
PONY Member
S197 Member

Right on angryBits, I hear ya. Like all of us always say when we get a car... I'm good with the power. When you get used to it you'll want more, like we all do, haha. I guess the level of modding would depend on what you wanna do with it. As for me, the purpose of my car is to stomp people on a race track. I love going by M3's and GTR's and Vette's and Camaro's with my ancient SRA mustang. Last year the Tiger Racing Boss with its SRA dominated the Pirelli World Challenge.

It sounds like springs and sway bars would be an awesome place to start. Have you noticed any wheel hop yet?

Any Black with no stripes if for sure the best!

Osiris - '07 Shelby GT500 - Black
under construction
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page