Considering purchase of used Shelby GT500 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-25-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie

Considering purchase of used Shelby GT500

Hi all,

Recently joined the forum, and am considering a used GT500. Have mainly been looking at the 2008-2009 models..

I was wanting to know if owners could shine some light on the most common issues they have with their Shelby's, and how the overall reliability is. It would be my daily driver for a bit, so I don't want to deal with potential issues. In other words... it would be nice to hear "They are bulletproof".

Just looking for the right one, with the right low miles on it, at the right price... debating trading my current daily driver, or selling it outright and taking the cash with me for purchase.

I will at minimum be doing the basic mods to it.. pulleys, etc.. and will probably end up doing some more... but would be nice to not worry about breakdown issue.

Thanks for any insight that can be given.

2012 Black GT500 SVTPP - Almost stock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-26-2012
PONY Member
S197 Member

I'm in the exact same boat. Would like to hear some opinions.

2003 Oxford White Cobra Coupe-The Toy
2001 Flame Red Ram 2500 Cummins 4x4-The Tool
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-26-2012
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

I just bought an '09 GT500, & I'm getting a "shudder" from my clutch sometimes when I take off. Evidently it's fairly common. I'm still researching, but apparently there "used" to be a TSB where Ford would replace the clutch with the upgraded 2010 one, but that TSB is no longer applicable. There's a lot of threads on clutch issues over on the TeamShelby forums, & I'm just starting to go through them.
I've had 6 other Mustangs, but this is my 1st Shelby. I absolutely LOVE the car!

US Navy (Retired)

2009 GT500 - Black, stripe delete, HID's, Shaker 1K, GT500 PTP. Brenspeed Stage 2 power package (JLT CAI, Metco 2.6" pulley, NGK plugs, tune), Barton shifter, FRPP lowering springs, 2010 GT500 wheels & tires.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012
Apprentice

mcate, it's normal. It's just the design of our clutches.

Some earlier models had clutch problems though, and they had to get the 2010 ones put in.

So far though, there have been no problems at all with the Shelby. In a week or so there will be a JLT CAI and 2.5" pulley installed onto it.

They are pretty much bulletproof apart from the clutch problems with earlier models.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-28-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks for the information. Has anyone tried resurfacing their flywheel to eliminate the shudder issue? That could possibly be cause by "hotspots" on the flywheel surface.

2012 Black GT500 SVTPP - Almost stock
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-29-2012
PONY Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Welcome to the forum.

The only thing that will really cure the shudder is the clutch TSB or aftermarket. Not a huge expense going aftermarket and I would highly recommend researching the issue and making the decision on your own whether to replace or not. If you go to Team Shelby there are many disucssions on the topic. Look for the thread from "Grabber". Mine had the issue and at 5K miles I had the TSB perfromed. Fortunately, I was still under warranty and Ford covered the fix.

If you are buying a used 07-09, get the OASIS report on the car or verification the TSB was done.

For reliability, my experience has been great with no issues at all. Bullet Proof, who knows. That depends on how well the car has been maintained and who owned it. There are many available with low miles and were treated like babies. Find one and you will be very happy.

I love my GT500 and would only let it go for another. I have even considered having Shelby upgrade it to a Super Snake .. just need to win the lottery and I am good to go

2008 Shelby GT500 Torch Red / Black - FRP Stingers, Factory Nav, Ambient lighting, HID, Leather Upgrade Package, Seq Tail Lights, Etc..

2011 V6 MCA Edition Ingot Silver / Stone (1 of 6) - Traded

2011 5.0 Grabber Blue GT/CS (1 of 18) - Hers - Auto, Shaker 1000, HID, Comfort and Secuity
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-30-2012
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

I've attached a copy of the most current TSB. My '09 has about 2 months of 3yr/36k left on it, but it looks like Ford believes the shuddering to not cause any problems. I've found that if I give the car a little more gas when I take off, & feather the clutch a bit more, it doesn't shudder as much. Of course that generates more heat, which can't help. I'm planning on putting 3.73 gears in it soon, & I'd think that would help. I had 4.10's in my '09 GT, & they really made it easier to drive around town.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf TSB 10 3 8 Clutch Drag.pdf (544.4 KB, 976 views)

US Navy (Retired)

2009 GT500 - Black, stripe delete, HID's, Shaker 1K, GT500 PTP. Brenspeed Stage 2 power package (JLT CAI, Metco 2.6" pulley, NGK plugs, tune), Barton shifter, FRPP lowering springs, 2010 GT500 wheels & tires.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-30-2012
PONY Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Here ya go.

Read the links in the thread for more information.

https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...lby-cobra.html

There is a lot of information that can help you out. Feathering the clutch can make the problem worse. This will cause more heat. I think once you read up more you will be better equipped to talk to the service department about the options you have.

Since you are still in warranty you have a chance to get it taken care of under warranty. Hope you can.

2008 Shelby GT500 Torch Red / Black - FRP Stingers, Factory Nav, Ambient lighting, HID, Leather Upgrade Package, Seq Tail Lights, Etc..

2011 V6 MCA Edition Ingot Silver / Stone (1 of 6) - Traded

2011 5.0 Grabber Blue GT/CS (1 of 18) - Hers - Auto, Shaker 1000, HID, Comfort and Secuity
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-31-2012
Apprentice
S197 Member

I bought a 08 and have been driving it since May. Definately watch for the build date on the car. Anything built in 07, even if its a 08 model, WILL have clutch problems . I've drag raced mine and modded with no problems other than the clutch and it is my daily driver. I replaced the clutch myself with a McLeod twin disc cost $1300.
You can't resurface the flywheel on these they have a recessed friction area.
The aftermarket is a flat flywheel.

[email protected] 117 MPH
2.6 Metco Pulley, Jlt CAI, John Lund Tune, Long tube headers, McLeod clutch, Alum driveshaft, 3.73 gears, BMR relocation brackets, lca's and adjustable upper arm, 255/50/16 MT drag radials.
Still no traction......
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppacapp View Post
Hi all,

Recently joined the forum, and am considering a used GT500. Have mainly been looking at the 2008-2009 models..

I was wanting to know if owners could shine some light on the most common issues they have with their Shelby's, and how the overall reliability is. It would be my daily driver for a bit, so I don't want to deal with potential issues. In other words... it would be nice to hear "They are bulletproof".

Just looking for the right one, with the right low miles on it, at the right price... debating trading my current daily driver, or selling it outright and taking the cash with me for purchase.

I will at minimum be doing the basic mods to it.. pulleys, etc.. and will probably end up doing some more... but would be nice to not worry about breakdown issue.

Not sure if you bought yet, or the price range you are looking at, but get a new base model GT and ship it off to Shelby for the GTS upgrade. There are lots of options. Only downside is the 4-5 months Shelby takes to upgrade the car.

2011 Shelby Convertible w/SVT Performance & Electronics Packages
2011 Shelby GTS V6 Convertible, AT, CAI, Aluminum DS, 3.73, Tune
Rookie

2007-2009 Shelby GT500's have really poor clutch & flywheel systems. Ford has issued a number of TSB. Many owners have had their cars in the shop many times replacing parts while Ford was determining what the culprit was.

Revision 4 of the latest TSB seems to finally have a fix. It includes replacing all clutch/flywheel components with the 2010 newer parts. If you are planning on building more than 100 HP then you should look to a SPEC aftermarket clutch system.

David

2007 Shelby GT500
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppacapp View Post
Hi all,

There are no bad choices on the year model of GT500s. There all great.
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjys View Post
Not sure if you bought yet, or the price range you are looking at, but get a new base model GT and ship it off to Shelby for the GTS upgrade. There are lots of options. Only downside is the 4-5 months Shelby takes to upgrade the car.
Agree with this suggestion.

I have a 12 GT500 and love the car; however, the clutch/shifter are not great in their stock form. I drive mine daily and don't really have the opportunity to push it very often, but it does not like to go into 2nd gear under hard acceleration. and the 6250 rev limit took time to get used to since coming from a 11 GT/CS that actually felt quicker with the Boss Intake/Tune in it.

The GTS would be a special car and have the right pedigree for long term ownership.

Last edited by GTCS5.0; 09-26-2012 at 09:41 AM. Reason: Typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page