LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-09-2014 Thread Starter
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Winter Driving in New England

A couple of FYIs:

I have been taking the car out off and on since December when the roads are clear. The alternate setup of AM Boss Charcoal 19X9 wheels and Pirelli P Zero Nerp all season 275/40/19 tires have allowed me to drive in cold weather, as opposed to the Goodyears which are summer only tires. I also keep it on a trickle charger in this cold weather when I let it sit for a while.

I took the car out yesterday to get an oil change at the dealership. The temp was 11 degrees when I left my house. There was no problem with these tires and temperature. I felt safe and secure. The roads weren't too bad as far as snow from our recent storm where we got about 10". Since the road crews used most of the salt on the first snowfall a while back, the roads had minimal if any residue.

And the oil change and multi-point inspection with the dealer coupon was $80. Still cheaper than I could do it myself. I will do one in the summer myself, but it wasn't too bad as far as cost. It would be around $115 (9.5 qts 5W50 full synthetic and filter) plus tax if I did it myself. It was 11 degrees!A no brainier. The car is back in the garage on the charger, and covered.

Anyway, the right tires for the right situation does make a difference. I know that all season doesn't really mean that, but they sure do a better job with cold temps than the stock tires, which as most of you know, are hockey pucks under 50 degrees. I also have another vehicle, a 2001 V6 Mustang AT for the winter commute.

Pete

2014 Shelby GT500:Delivered 4/3/13, Black/Black stripes/Black interior, SVT Track Package, SVT Performance Package, JLT Oil Seperator, FRPP Resonator Delete, Syntha Max blue air filter, Revan Racing shifter bushing, Michelin PSS tires, Lloyd GT500 mats, and yes the stock Shelby seats.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-09-2014
PONY Member
4.6L Member

If I owned a GT500, I wouldn't dare let that thing touch any road that's not 100% dry. There's just seriously no point. Higher risk of an accident (It doesn't matter how well your car may handle, there's still others that can accidentally hit black ice and wipe your cobra out), dirtiness, rust...

Not to derail you or anything, and I know it must be super tempting to drive a nice shelby even if it is winter, but I honestly would've waited on that oil change. Just get an oil change before winter hits and then after. But that's just my 2 cents.

2000 Mustang GT
Black/Black 5speed
Performance: stock

My pride and joy, my first car ever. Bought on 6/2/2013.

Check it out at my channel here: youtube.com/mustangfanatic95
Expect more vids in the Spring: Car shows, cruises, fly-bys, etc.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-09-2014 Thread Starter
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

My gt500 was vandalized in June in the middle of summer, two and a half months after I got it. It has already been christened. I trust my New England winter driving more than small minded people who are either jealous or just total morons and do things like that for no reason.

I have rarely driven it since the first week of December. I was making the point for those who insist on driving with those ridiculous Goodyears that are useless on the street after a slight cool breeze. I drove my 2012 GT everyday. I had dedicated wheels and tires to drive during the winter. My 2003 GT was driven for seven years everyday with dedicated wheels and tires for winter. So driving the GT500 three times since December cuts down on the odds of anything happening. The great thing about the Shelby is that they have Mustang body parts that are readily available.

I bought it to drive it. This is the longest that I have ever gone with a car sitting in a garage, not to mention, my first car cover!

Pete

2014 Shelby GT500:Delivered 4/3/13, Black/Black stripes/Black interior, SVT Track Package, SVT Performance Package, JLT Oil Seperator, FRPP Resonator Delete, Syntha Max blue air filter, Revan Racing shifter bushing, Michelin PSS tires, Lloyd GT500 mats, and yes the stock Shelby seats.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-09-2014
GT Member
Classic Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Garage
I drive mine in the winter if the roads are clear but as you can see in my pro pic she's covered in snow again

I wish winter would be over soon!!! THANK GOD for grandma's old Honda lol

[IMG]CAM00081[/IMG] If pic wont work look at my avatar

"ONX PNY"

2009 MUSTANG (45TH Aniversary) premium w/pony package.
AUTO, Leather, IUP, Kenwood DDX393/Speakers
A.M Bullitt wheels W/custom center caps
RAXIOM RETRO'S Black turn signals/Tinted rear bumper lights cobra Roadster hood that's functional and many other mods

Yes I know my user name doesn't match my car color

1966 coupe 289 2V C code factory BENCH/P/S
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-09-2014 Thread Starter
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver_stang200 View Post
I drive mine in the winter if the roads are clear but as you can see in my pro pic she's covered in snow again

I wish winter would be over soon!!! THANK GOD for grandma's old Honda lol

[IMG]CAM00081[/IMG] If pic wont work look at my avatar
Yeah, it's getting old!

Pete

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-10-2014
PONY Member
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Grimaldi View Post
My gt500 was vandalized in June in the middle of summer, two and a half months after I got it. It has already been christened. I trust my New England winter driving more than small minded people who are either jealous or just total morons and do things like that for no reason.

I have rarely driven it since the first week of December. I was making the point for those who insist on driving with those ridiculous Goodyears that are useless on the street after a slight cool breeze. I drove my 2012 GT everyday. I had dedicated wheels and tires to drive during the winter. My 2003 GT was driven for seven years everyday with dedicated wheels and tires for winter. So driving the GT500 three times since December cuts down on the odds of anything happening. The great thing about the Shelby is that they have Mustang body parts that are readily available.

I bought it to drive it. This is the longest that I have ever gone with a car sitting in a garage, not to mention, my first car cover!

Pete
That's really too bad that it was vandalized. Sorry to hear man. And of course, it's your car, do what you want, but I hate seeing nice cars out in the winter.

2000 Mustang GT
Black/Black 5speed
Performance: stock

My pride and joy, my first car ever. Bought on 6/2/2013.

Check it out at my channel here: youtube.com/mustangfanatic95
Expect more vids in the Spring: Car shows, cruises, fly-bys, etc.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-10-2014
MACH I Member
Classic Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I have not driven it in less than 30 degree weather but with the stock tires it's suicide.

But even on warm days you can get caught in the rain.....and you slip and slide home.

Pete's running a stock 5.8l w 3.31s and I'm running a tastefully modified 5.4 with 3.73s. About 50-60hp and tq difference between our cars....I dare say it's probably worse on my end as the 3.73s probably work against me harder than his extra tq works against him.

Bottom line: The tires CAN make all the difference.....but living in Ga, I will probably not buy a set of all seasons, I'll just buy MPSS summer tires and stick it in the garage below 35-ish

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2011 Shelby GT 500: C&L CAI, Roush GT 500 Performance axlebacks, Steeda 2.65 Supercharger pulley with idler/belt tensioner, Ford SVT Custom Racing Tune, SVT package, Glass roof, Tech package
Gone: 2011 GT/CS Black
Gone: 2010 Sterling Gray GT, Track Pack
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-10-2014 Thread Starter
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allentown View Post
Pete's running a stock 5.8l w 3.31s and I'm running a tastefully modified 5.4 with 3.73s. About 50-60hp and tq difference between our cars....I dare say it's probably worse on my end as the 3.73s probably work against me harder than his extra tq works against him.

Bottom line: The tires CAN make all the difference.....

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
This is true! Keep in mind, I drive another car during the winter as I have mentioned. Having that extra set of tires and wheels lets me drive it about 9 months a year instead of 6 months. I will be investing in Michelin PSS for the SVTTP wheels when I switch the setup in April.

Pete

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-22-2014 Thread Starter
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Update: it is close to 50 degrees here in Western MA today. The potholes are so numerous at this point, that it is safer to walk! The GT500 is still undercover. This is the longest time I have ever let a car sit in my garage since I owned my 1970 convertible about ten years ago! Back to frigid weather next week.

Pete

Apprentice
4.6L Member

Wife just came home and said there are numerous of people out on the roads today. The 50 degree temps seem to be driving people out of the house. I was going to take my Mustang out for a bit to get the computer reset for emissions but now heck no. I tend to do the same here in CT, in respect to driving in the winter, if the roads are clear during the winter time. Need something to break up the dullness of winter for the coming of spring. Once in a while before I put the Mustang back in the garage I spray the car off and spray underneath it with the hose. This new stuff they put on the roads is killer to vehicles.

2001 Mustang GT Hellion Turbo 5-Speed Convertible
Triple Black tastefully done with Steeda, Saleen, and Corbra exterior elements.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in