Shelby GT500 Market is bogus. Cars aren't moving ! - Page 3 - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools

Been waiting sence day 1 for the prices to come down, believing that time would come.
Well i went to dealership last week and they had 1 on the lot for 20k over.
I told him he was insane.
He said more or less , thats for ppl that have to drive away w/ one right now.
He said that if i preorder 1 i get sticker. so pre order i did.
It is def coming down , last time i tried to pre order they still wanted 10 over.
In michigan btw.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

SHELBY GT 350 Member
S197 Member

Send a message via AIM to RetroGT2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvandermey View Post
Nah, I bet he is referring to the Shelby GT500, for those are the ones selling for $15K-$25K over MSRP, the Shelby GT is only selling for $5K-$10K over MSRP. :hihi:

Damn, i guess the dealership that is about 10 minutes away from my house is pretty damn desperate.. They have 2 07 Shelby GT's.. selling both for 34K.. no markup.. lol n they still havent sold yet..

Daily Driver: 2006 Honda CBR600rr
Weekend Warrior: 2006 Mustang GT
MACH I Member

They have always limited SVT Cobra production to 7000 to 10,000 cars per year. (With none produced in 2000 due to the recall of 1999s and none produced in 2002.) Everyone loved the retro-styling of the 2005 Mustang when it came out. And 2004 Cobras were available for less than sticker when potential buyers fell in love with the retro Mustang and started waiting for the first Cobra version. So you had a two-year buildup of people waiting for a retro-Cobra on the demand side of the equation. Then the demand exploded exponentially when they (1) gave it 500HP (2) made it the first Shelby Mustang in 37 years (3) made it look just perfect. The fact that you and everyone you know wants one proves how huge the demand is. But the real problem was caused when Ford changed distribution of the Cobra and abandoned the SVT dealers. If this doesn't change, 600 SVT dealers get 12 GT500s per year, with only the first few sold for way more than sticker. But Ford threw all dealers a bone, where all of the 4000 dealers each get one or two GT500s a year. Each dealer has just one (or two) chances to charge way over sticker and make a bundle. When you see a dealer with several GT500s in stock, or a dealer who has sold several GT500s, they have paid other dealers (usually the smaller rural dealerships) $10K for their allocation or have outbid regular people on eBay for any GT500s with a reasonable reserve price (reasonable to them = 10K or less over sticker). Just look at mallofgeorgiafordinternetsales activity on eBay, since he pretty much re-lists the same car back on eBay with a higher reserve, to cover what he already had to pay.

My friend Rick wanted a 2007 GT500 and offered 7 dealerships $10K over last year and was told no by every one. He bought an Atomic Orange tintcoat metallic Z06 Corvette with every option, and still had to go to a dealer in Indiana to get it for full sticker of around $78K (it cost him around $84K with tax/license/title) because Chicago area dealers wanted at least $4K over sticker for their Z06 allotment.

I do see markups coming down somewhat. I debated waiting until 2009 and hoping that I could get one for sticker or $5K over at the most. But the local dealer I purchased my '96 and '01 Cobras from (at less than sticker both times) agreed to $10K over for his 2nd and last '08 GT500 allotment - and I could order it exactly the way I wanted it. As much as I hated to overpay, it is worth some money to get exactly what I want, rather than take what is available down the road. I just found out my VIN today, and my GT500 is to be built week after next.

Gary

2013 Boss 302 gotta-have-it green
2008 Shelby GT500 torch red with black stripes + sequentials
2001 Cobra mineral grey with 2003 Mach 1 shaker hood
1996 Cobra color-shifting mystic paint + sequentials

BOSS Member
S197 Member

I'm not sure I understand...if you can order a Shelby from a dealer, why wouldn't you be able to order it how you like?

SOLD -2005 Black GT Whipple HO| Oil Seperator | Steeda Tensioner | 93 dyno tune | Autometer Cobalt | GTAs | Eibach Pro-kit | Tokico D-Specs | CHE UCA | BMR PH | BMR LCA | BMR LCA Bracket | 18x9/10 Deep Dish Bullits

2013 Shelby GT500
PONY Member
5.0L Member

what we are seeing is the two sides of the fence... I can mod my car to be a super mustang with truthfully better performance for way less than you can buy a new gt500. of course, I will not have that name, but i can get the same appearance package! What should scare the people who are willing to fork over the cash for the GT500 is that in certain cases, I could take my mustang to shelby, inc. and have them inspect my car for correctness of shelby parts and then can give me a shelby certified number!! I guess each to his own.... do you buy the worn out look jeans for $75 or do you go to the army surplus and buy the same look for $10??? The market is consumer driven...

Bad Medicine! 1995 GT, repainted sunfire red with B&B 5.0, forged internals, KB blowzilla,flowzilla, JL CAI, underdrive pulleys, custom burned chip, side exhaust via svo covers and Roush Magna Flows, tremec T-56 with close range gears; 3:73 rearend, drag rear control arms... new front end bushings, rods, etc... Brembro 13 inch Cobra Brakes on front... New interior with interior paint... Wide gunmetal stripes with airbrushed rivets...
MACH I Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw0scoops123 View Post
I'm not sure I understand...if you can order a Shelby from a dealer, why wouldn't you be able to order it how you like?
Of course, any time you order the car through the dealer, you specify the exact way you want it (colors and options). But if a dealer gets his GT500 allocation and orders it for his stock, odds are his choices are not the same as yours would have been. So if you wait and wait for the mark-ups to come down on GT500s, you might be shopping for existing cars the way the dealers ordered them instead of getting to custom order one. Look at all the 2007 GT500s on eBay currently. If you do find your favorite color with your choice of options, how far away is it and how much extra will it cost you to get it home?

- Gary

2013 Boss 302 gotta-have-it green
2008 Shelby GT500 torch red with black stripes + sequentials
2001 Cobra mineral grey with 2003 Mach 1 shaker hood
1996 Cobra color-shifting mystic paint + sequentials
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraMD View Post
what we are seeing is the two sides of the fence... I can mod my car to be a super mustang with truthfully better performance for way less than you can buy a new gt500. of course, I will not have that name, but i can get the same appearance package! What should scare the people who are willing to fork over the cash for the GT500 is that in certain cases, I could take my mustang to shelby, inc. and have them inspect my car for correctness of shelby parts and then can give me a shelby certified number!! I guess each to his own.... do you buy the worn out look jeans for $75 or do you go to the army surplus and buy the same look for $10??? The market is consumer driven...
Exactly. I know of a guy who did that with his 02 GT. He got all the saleen parts and replaced them on his car then got it inspected at the saleen headquarters, and thus, a saleen number.
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkinsbball View Post
I think he's referring to the Shelby GT, not the GT500.
No , the Shelby GT's are 4-7K over MSRP.

The GT500's are getting better, a friend bought a black on black beauty for 50K.

Peace....The MadMan :smoke:
Current: 2008 Tjaarda 350T
K&N CAI - Eibach Springs|Baer 14 Zinc Coated, Slotted & Drilled Rotors|6-Piston Front Calipers|GT Legends with Nitto NT-555 255/35ZR20 Front and 275/35ZR20 Rear|Custom side exhaust|Molded Front Fascia|Hood|Carbon Fiber Rocker Panels|Lower Side Scoops|Rear Fascia|4 Ion Crystal Fog Lamps|2.5 PIAA Extreme White Driving Lights
Sold: 2006 Premium Tung Grey GT - 5 speed
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw0scoops123 View Post
Hmmmm.....not sure what you are talking about (which statement lead you to beleive that?)

When you order one from the dealer, you get what you want!! Period, no if, ands or but's :nogrinner

If the dealer says no, then he already ordered it with his specs.

Peace....The MadMan :smoke:
Current: 2008 Tjaarda 350T
K&N CAI - Eibach Springs|Baer 14 Zinc Coated, Slotted & Drilled Rotors|6-Piston Front Calipers|GT Legends with Nitto NT-555 255/35ZR20 Front and 275/35ZR20 Rear|Custom side exhaust|Molded Front Fascia|Hood|Carbon Fiber Rocker Panels|Lower Side Scoops|Rear Fascia|4 Ion Crystal Fog Lamps|2.5 PIAA Extreme White Driving Lights
Sold: 2006 Premium Tung Grey GT - 5 speed
Rookie

Should have Waited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am stationed in Germany and I just ordered my 2008 GT after trying to get an answer on availability of the Shelby through MNCS(the US military overseas car sales agency). MNCS said we may have a few(5) production slots, then the answer was no we dont. So I ordered the GT.
Now MNCS called me back and said, "We have 8 production slots!!"

Way to go guys, I am trying to get the order on my GT cancelled!!

The great thing is that we dont pay over sticker, Ford has an agreement with the DoD that they cant sell over sticker(I am sure the reason is that there is no stateside "dealer" we have to deal with who is bending us over and ramming it home).

Hope I can change the order!! 42K for a new Shelby, best deal in the world!!

Jack in Bavaria

Soon to own the Autobahn!!

"Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then go do it!!"
Robert A. Heinlein
Apprentice
S197 Member

Garage
I feel for you jack.sayler. I ordered a vehicle through OMCS (overseas military car sales) back in 2000, but everything went smoothly. I got weekly feedback from the sales rep. Im trying to remember.... I think the HQ was in Maryland because I called them a couple of times too about some rebates. 42K?, Is that invoice or MSRP with no options? Anyway, good luck and let us know if luck is on your side.

~Paul

2013 Shelby GT500 Convertible - Grabber Blue w/Black Stripes
#497/808 Convertibles, #31/49

2008 Shelby GT500 Coupe - Alloy w/Silver Stripes
#3264/6513 Coupes, #145/314
Born on Dec 14, 2007, Brought Home Jan 12, 2008
-SLP LoudMouth Axlebacks
-C&L Cold Air Intake
-2.3 TVS with 2.5" Pulley
Mustang Dyno'd @ 587hp/617tq
Dynojet Dyno'd @ 655hp/666tq

2000 Mustang GT Convertible - Tripple Black
2004 Harley Davidson - Fat Boy Lo (Daily Rider)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page