08 GT500 mods - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-14-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie

08 GT500 mods

I have a 08 gt500, completely stock, what are some mods that should be done first? I'm throwing a CAI and a tune, then lower and upper control arms to eliminate my wheel hop issues, what mods should i consider next and do i need any supporting mods? I want to run low 11s, this is an overall question, doesn't need to happen anytime soon, the budget will eventually come, I'm just not trying to throw on a new blower. I'm also looking for good tires that arn't street radials but will still hook real well, 285/40/18

Last edited by acwkls; 04-14-2015 at 09:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015
Apprentice

Garage
Welcome & congratulations on the purchase go the 08 GT500. This will be a long winded post-sorry! Also, opinions will vary but here goes:

I have an 08 GT500'as well. I didn't need the upper control arms to get rid of the wheel hop. I went with the Steeda lower control arms which solved most of the problem. I replaced the stock 18" tires & wheels with Shelby CS40 Chrome 20x9 & 20x10 wheels. Tires - Mickey Thompson Street Comp 255/35R20 & 305/35R20. Wheel hop gone and the tires are amazing! I had to recalibrate the speedo using my tuner and GPS (very easy). The stock lower control arms are crap so when you unbolt the stock LCM, the axle WILL shift out of position. Probably a better method but I used a ratchet strap to line up the mounting holes for the Steeda LCM. You will only need the ratchet strap on the first one. The Steeda prevented the axle from shifting so the other side was easy. Make sure the suspicion is loaded when you torque the bolts. Pretty sure you torque the bolts to 130ft/lbs. I reused my hardware but the Tech bulletin says to replace. Use your best judgement! Make sure you torque the bolts again after driving. Mine has been on for about a year now. I should probably tell you that when it comes to wheel hop, technique is everything meaning try different methods to launch and you'll be able to control the hop. May help you enjoy your car more before you get it fixed. I would fix the hop before adding more power. Just a suggestion but more power just makes the situation worse. I learned this advice the hard way by not listening to the advice from the forum members. LOL!

There are a lot of tuners and everyone thinks theirs is the best so I don't want to get into that discussion. If your car runs good afterwards, then great. I applaud their decision. I went with the SCT/XF4 from American Muscle with lifetime BAMA tunes. I buy something new, they email me the tune. Many tuners offer the same type of program. I installed the 127mm JLT carbon fiber CAI. I could tell the difference in power immediately. I also added the VMP Tuning 2.5" SC pulley and 90mm idler pulley. Do yourself a favor if you go with VMP and purchase their removal tool or check around many folks rent theirs out. I liked the VMP pulley because it looks like the stock pulley only smaller. The VMP tool removed the stock pulley without damage to the pulley. It takes a little bit of effort to remove the stock pulley so take your time. Just when your about to give up, the pulley will start moving. Many say they heard a popping noise but I didn't.

Spinning the super charger faster and increasing HP causes issues with oil being burned so plan on adding oil separators. I chose JLT oil separators for both driver and passenger side but I have never found any oil in the unit on the driver side so not sure it is needed but it makes my engine bay look balanced so I like it! Bobs ultimate oil separators is a good option. Little more expensive but the hoses look awesome. It was too late for me when I found it but the JLT separators work great so no need for me to change.

Spark plugs shouldn't be overlooked. I installed the NGK Laser Iridium plugs. Their not cheap but I work at NGK so I wouldn't feel comfortable running anything else in my car! Stock setting is .044 but your not stock at this point. After trials, I set the gap at .028 and the car runs really good. No issues.

I didn't like the stock exhaust so that was my first mod. I installed the Borla cat back stingers. I also hated the hood prop so I replaced it with the Redline Tuning hood struts.

I hope this information helps you. The setup works for my vehicle. As I said in the beginning, opinions will vary which caused me a lot of confusion when I finally decided to start modding my ride. Everyone's has good intentions when they offer their recipe for success but I got to a point that everyone with their different opinions may be right. In the end, I made the decision that if I made a mistake I would just look at it as lessened learned and do it again until got it right.

What's next on my agenda? Brakes, FRPP Cobra Jet throttle body, Borla off road headers.

Take care Slayer GT500

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	468
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	429618  
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015
Apprentice

Garage
Picture
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	256
Size:	209.7 KB
ID:	429626  

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015
Apprentice

Garage
Don't know why I can only post 1 pic at a time. Oh well...
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	163
Size:	199.1 KB
ID:	429634  
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie

I ordered myself a set of nitto nt555 performance tires, BMR upper and lower control arms, so i can finally get some grip, I already purchased a 148mm super big cold air intake from JLT, and I just purchased the tuner from american muscle with the BAMA tunes for life, I also got a cheaper pair of NGK spark plugs for now to replace the stock ones, I'm using paypal credit for the financing, afterwards I think I'm going to get a kooks long tube headers to catted shorty x-pipe exhaust, then work on getting the ex A lotra boost to the motor. A lot of great information, and that is a sick ass shelby, I am literally running on bald tires right now, so anyone I race from a complete stop walks me as I constantly spin.. What an embarrassment.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015
Shelby Gt 350 member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acwkls View Post
I ordered myself a set of nitto nt555 performance tires, BMR upper and lower control arms, so i can finally get some grip, I already purchased a 148mm super big cold air intake from JLT, and I just purchased the tuner from american muscle with the BAMA tunes for life, I also got a cheaper pair of NGK spark plugs for now to replace the stock ones, I'm using paypal credit for the financing, afterwards I think I'm going to get a kooks long tube headers to catted shorty x-pipe exhaust, then work on getting the ex A lotra boost to the motor. A lot of great information, and that is a sick ass shelby, I am literally running on bald tires right now, so anyone I race from a complete stop walks me as I constantly spin.. What an embarrassment.
Headers are a waste of $$$ at anything under 600hp.

Waiting on 2019 GT500

2012 GT Vert Brembo - Stock-ish

2012 F-150 FX4 EcoBoost 4x4 406rwhp/522rwtq. The most powerful EB F-150 on the planet?

2007 GT-TSR/Stops/Turns/Custom Everything/3.4L Whipple Crusher/1000hp SOLD
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie

I figured if I ran more boost, I would need somewhere for all the extra air build up to go, rather than hurting the motor. I know a tune should prevent this, but will I be losing out keeping the stock manifolds?
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015
Shelby Gt 350 member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acwkls View Post
but will I be losing out keeping the stock manifolds?
No

Waiting on 2019 GT500

2012 F-150 FX4 EcoBoost 4x4 406rwhp/522rwtq. The most powerful EB F-150 on the planet?

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqidd View Post
They sound nice though! lol

Nick C.

HID and LED Lighting For Your Mustang
Visit diodedynamics.com To See Products!
(314) 205-3033
Apprentice

Garage
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqidd View Post
Not sure the headers are a waste of $$$. The stock manifolds and the cats are a restriction so always good to move the air. Also, the headers do sound awesome so if you can tolerate the sound on the highway then no worries. It all depends on what your wanting to do with your vehicle. Also should check your states emissions and header regulations. The GT500 would probably pass emissions testing without the cats but if the shop hooks it up to a computer or puts it on the lift they'll know their gone. LOL!

I will agree that very little performance improvements would be seen if any so a person needs to decide if the JUICE is worth the SQUEEZE. Mainly, sound and bragging rights.
Apprentice
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
I did my friends 2007 GT500 build. Headers are not a waste of money on a higher HP F/I car like a GT500. I'd check out a tune from AED. Revan Racing and VMP tuning are great contacts for this. Evolution Performance is another top Shelby resource...you can order parts from them no problem but I've heard horror stories from people who have gone through them to do motor work.

Here is what we put in my friends 2007 GT500, we got 730+ rwhp on the stock motor:

2.8LC Kenne Bell Supercharger (can't remember what pulley)
Unlocked automatic transmission
American Racing Headers, X-Pipe
Corsa Axel Backs
3.73 (ended up having to switch to a 4.10 when we did the transmission swap)
Carbon Fiber driveshaft from driveshaft shop w/ BMR safety loop
Shelby 1000 Radiator, Intercooler, and reservoir tanks
Reische Thermostat
Cortex coil overs and Watts link
Steeda upper and lower control arms.
Eaton Detroit Locker differential
Lightweight Moser Axels
SuperSnake Gauges
Dyno tune from AED

It all started with a JLT intake and a tune. Now this car is capable of making 9 second passes on the 1/4 mile. We didn't spare any expense, wanted to get the max safe HP on the stock motor. Still able to change the tune, the pulley, and put in some race gas and make over 800 rwhp.

not to knock afm, but svtperformance and fordgt500 are way better forums for gt500 owners to learn and get help. I have a thread on there when I was doing the build.

2007 Black GT Premium
JLT Series 3 CAI | Brenspeed 91 | FRPP 4.10 | Bassani Catted X-Pipe | Bassani Axle Backs | Steeda UDP | Saleen N2 Suspension | Steeda LCA | 18" 2010 GT500 Replicas | Front:Nitto Invos Rear:Nitto NT05s | Xenon Front Bumper and Rear Lip | Matte Black Emblems | Smoked Lights

2013 Boss 302 Laguna Seca - Black
19" Forgestar F14 Wheels | Michelin PSS | Whiteline Rear Sway Bar | Boss 302S Oil Separator
SHELBY GT 350 Member

I like control arms and catch cans as some of the first mods for GT500s.

Like us at Facebook.com/TeamUPR
Follow us on Instagram @uprproducts
Ask me about the discount on UPR Products for AFM members!
Shelby Gt 350 member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharad View Post
I like control arms and catch cans as some of the first mods for GT500s.
I just texted you........

Waiting on 2019 GT500

Apprentice
S197 Member

Garage
I have a buddy selling his take off 2014 TVS 2.3 with 2.4" pulley for $2000 + shipping. I'm running a takeoff TVS 2.3 with 2.5" pulley. Soon as I get rims and tires, I should be in the 10's. LMK if interested.

2013 Shelby GT500 Convertible - Grabber Blue w/Black Stripes
#497/808 Convertibles, #31/49

2008 Shelby GT500 Coupe - Alloy w/Silver Stripes
#3264/6513 Coupes, #145/314
Born on Dec 14, 2007, Brought Home Jan 12, 2008
-SLP LoudMouth Axlebacks
-C&L Cold Air Intake
-2.3 TVS with 2.5" Pulley
Mustang Dyno'd @ 587hp/617tq
Dynojet Dyno'd @ 655hp/666tq

2000 Mustang GT Convertible - Tripple Black
2004 Harley Davidson - Fat Boy Lo (Daily Rider)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page