GT 500's Slump Sales - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools

I just bought an 08 Shelby GT500 with vapor tip to tail striping, actual mileage was 7, so new I was the only test driver at a quite off the main road dealer (a.k.a. Lebanon Ford, in Ohio). They're sales are mostly trucks. Lotsa farmers in these parts. It was their only one and my second purchase from this honest (and that's hard to find now-a-days) dealers. This GT500 is the most loaded monster available. They had to turn on the super-charger prior to driving it off, it was that new. They had many other dealers throughout the U.S. offering them 15K over MSRP as of Sep 24, 07 so the tempo of cooling off isn't over by no means. I shopped around as far as Maine and the gouging still continues. This family sales mentally put me back into another Super Stang, with respect and honor. $42,689 tax, title and reg. + a full tank of gas. They paid off my 8 month old GT at very close to pay off and we worked this deal until I was satisfied and they felt good about dealing with a repeat customer. My background scrutinizes any questionable character on a daily basis, but I can feely state, they are one of the few that don't buy into "greedy." Remember, all dealerships are in the business of selling cars, few sell and sell again, and again, and again. You get my point.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

I saw a nice looking all white, no stripe Shelby GT500 Vert this morning. Nice car. Saw the 15K markup and couldn't help but laugh a little. Can't blame them for trying to make a buck but still funny.

Well I made the rounds this morning and hit 4 dealers, all of which had at least one Shelby GT and 2-3 Shelby coupes. They all had huge markups. 15- 20K on the sticker.

I am not hating on this car at all as I really like it and would buy one at sticker, but...... I have to say, this car has a few warts, live axle and its to heavy so I am pretty dumbfounded that people are paying anything, and I mean $.10 over sticker for these cars.

I understand with the ZO6 to some degree as it simply flattened the competition in terms of quickness, handling and speed. The Shelby does none of these thing. In fact it can't even beat a standard Vette.

I am not anywhere near enough of a fanboy to pay these prices even though I do like the car, but do you guys honestly think that these cars will be worth anything when they have built 8K and will probably build another substantial amount in the coming year?

GT Member
Classic Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

The dealership I'm getting the Bullitt from talked to me about mark ups (none for the bullitt, as confirmed by the owner of the place, it is family owned). He said he doesn't really understand the massive markup, especially on 07 gt500s... they are there for a reason. He says that they get a lot of business with ppl sick of the markups. They mark up the Shelbys a little, but after a month or two of them sitting, they drop it a lot and try to move it. In Indiana.

*1998 Ford Contour SVT* EH 2.5L Duratec v6
Stock as can be, just trying to reverse the damage the previous owner caused.
GT Member
S197 Member

Ford isn't the only one, the Chevy dealer by me marks their Z06's up $20K+.... the last one I saw there was marked at $93K... now granted it is a very good car and had all the bells and whistles Chevy offers, but seriously, for that money it's time to look at a Porsche.

2005 Mustang GT - SCT X3 + ROUSH CAI, FRPP Stingers, Silverhorse Blackout Panel, Brushed "Aluminum" Dash Kit, California Special rear bumper, chrome American Racing ROGUE wheels 20x8.5 with 255/35/20 Yokohama S.Drive tires, ROUSH rear springs.... JVC KW-AVX820
MACH I Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw0scoops123 View Post
5k is more reasonable, but I still wouldnt never pay for 50k for a mustang. I'd pay MSRP for one, not a dime over it.
Me neither. I'm not all that thrilled about the styling either. And for the money, I would really rather have a (I apologize, in advance) Corvette. Way more car for the money and they look pretty cool.

Why are the GT500s not as fast as I would think, in the 1/4? All the drivers can't suck. I figure, with that much additional torque, you should be able to spin all the way through third, if you wanted to show off. So pedaling it with wider tires (than the GT has), It should be low to mid 12's, right? Why am I hearing "12.8's the best I can do."?

2006 Black, GT, spoiler delete, five speed, leather, custom welded straight pipes with resonators, sequential turn signals, Hurst Pro Performance shifter. FRPP 4.10s with Motive bearing kit, Spydershaft one piece aluminum driveshaft, w/ Spicer 1330 U-joints, Steeda UCA and LCAs, chrome moly panhard rod. bye bye wheel hop, hello traction! SCT XCalII, BBK CAI, ZEX 100 shot.
I've written a book or two. Google David Buschhorn to laugh at my scribblings.
SHELBY GT 350 Member
S197 Member

Send a message via AIM to RetroGT2006
Its gotta be the driver.. I met Justin at the track one day..(VMP Tuning).. and he had just got 1100 miles or so on his 07 GT500.. all he did was upload a SCT flash tune of his into the car.. changing no parts on the car at all.. he ran 12.3 both runs.. which were the first two runs ever in that car..for 500hp.. thats about right.. id be happy with that.. then do intake, tune, and pullie and youll be running alot faster..

oh i forgot to mention, he ran those times in 90+ degree weather..

Daily Driver: 2006 Honda CBR600rr
Weekend Warrior: 2006 Mustang GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page