Clutch Is Toast - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Apprentice

Problems Starting From a Stop

Just got a GT500 (about 180 miles so far) and I am having trouble with smoothly starting from a stop. I've driven manual transmissions for years, so don't think it is me. The car shakes and shimmys from a stop about half the time. Requires me to very slowly let the clutch up at low power. I am also getting a "burning" smell that smells like burnt clutch.

Haven't really gotten on it hard or dropped the clutch so it shouldn't be worn or damaged. I found a number of posts on other forums that talk about clutch chatter being normal on this car.

What's normal for this thing and what isn't?

Thanks.

----------------------------------------------
2005 Mustang GT Convertible - Redfire, Parchment Leather Interior, Black Top - Stock
2008 Shelby GT500 Coupe - Black with Alloy Stripes, Black Leather Interior with Red Inserts - Stock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Site Sponsor
S197 Member

The problems your having as far as a smooth start are from wheel hop. Check out the thread about wheel hop. This is a known issue with all the GT500's. As far as the clutch goes you shouldn't be smelling it. Read this thread and others about it.

Shellee Kallas
Powerhouse Racing and Performance
6332 Lee Ann Lane
Naples, Florida
United States, 34109
(239) 596-1845
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT500Girl View Post
The problems your having as far as a smooth start are from wheel hop. Check out the thread about wheel hop. This is a known issue with all the GT500's. As far as the clutch goes you shouldn't be smelling it. Read this thread and others about it.
Don't think it is wheel hop - here is what I was referring to...just want to know what is normal since "comparing to a like unit" isn't all that easy. Is anyone else having this problem?

SPECIAL SERVICE MESSAGE
19922 2007-2008 MUSTANG SHELBY GT500 - CLUTCH CHATTER
SOME 2007 - 2008 SHELBY GT500 MUSTANGS EQUIPPED WITH A MANUAL TRANSMISSION MAY EXHIBIT A "CLUTCH CHATTER" DURING INITIAL TAKE-OFF OF THE VEHICLE WHEN THE TRANSMISSION IS HOT. THE CLUTCH CHATTER MAY BE PRESENT IN 1ST AND/OR REVERSE GEARS AND IS CONSIDERED A NORMAL CHARACTERISTIC CAUSED BY THE CERAMETALIC CLUTCH LINING. THE CLUTCH CHATTER HAS NO EFFECT ON THE PERFORMANCE OR DURABILITY OF THE VEHICLE. COMPARE TO A LIKE UNIT. IF THE SYMPTOM IS EXCESSIVE COMPARED TO A LIKE UNIT, FOLLOW NORMAL WORKSHOP MANUAL PROCEDURES TO FURTHER DIAGNOSE THE ISSUE.
EFFECTIVE DATE: 08/16/2007

----------------------------------------------
2005 Mustang GT Convertible - Redfire, Parchment Leather Interior, Black Top - Stock
2008 Shelby GT500 Coupe - Black with Alloy Stripes, Black Leather Interior with Red Inserts - Stock

Site Sponsor
S197 Member

Well..we have 2 of them and the only different thing I see is the burnt smell. I would have Ford check it out for sure and make sure they have SVT mechanics at the location you take it to. But both of ours have the wheel hop and I've heard from pretty much everyone that has one, and I have talked to a lot of others that have them, they all have the same issue.

Shellee Kallas
6332 Lee Ann Lane
Naples, Florida
United States, 34109
(239) 596-1845

So, now I am having same issue with 07 GT500, 21k miles, took to dealer today and they claim needs new clutch, asking $3500. 3 year warranty went up 11/26/2009. Anything WE can do?
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAR13RRR View Post
So, now I am having same issue with 07 GT500, 21k miles, took to dealer today and they claim needs new clutch, asking $3500. 3 year warranty went up 11/26/2009. Anything WE can do?
Who-all is WE?
YOU can do it yourself and save a little on the parts, and all of the labor... I haven't done a GT-500 clutch yet, but I know it won't be as big a PITA as some clutches I've done. When you get around to doing yours, you may want to consider using the latest revision Ford sells. They've changed the flywheel and disc design since the '07 models due to warpage and disc sticking on the input shaft (from what I've read). Mine shudders a little when cold, but it's just a bit grabby when warmed up. I have been careful not to heat it up yet though; I've only put 700 miles on the car, so far. I understand that the clutch needs to break in some, before you really start abusing it.

'08 Bullitt -Highland Green
'09 GT-500KR -Black/Black

Site Sponsor
S197 Member

Hmm...I'm not sure with the car being out of warranty. BUT if I remember right on my 07 they extended the warranty to 5 years...which I would think yours should have the 5 years as well.

It's not about abusing the clutch. Mine was gone from the time I bought the car and I took it to Ford with under 50 miles on it because I knew it was too stiff and not right.

Any of the 500's, KR's etc that were made before March of 09 still have one of the faulty parts in there. I now have the 2010 clutch upgrade in my car because I shredded my auto and it now feels like it should of in the first place.

Also when the 3rd clutch system went into mine the mechanic tried to tell me to wait 500 miles before I went to the track. The engineer of SVT told me heck no..go to the track tonight so that's what I did.

Shellee Kallas
6332 Lee Ann Lane
Naples, Florida
United States, 34109
(239) 596-1845
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT500Girl View Post
...Any of the 500's, KR's etc that were made before March of 09 still have one of the faulty parts in there....
New flywheel design and improved style clutch supposedly went in as of 9/01/08. I'm curious though... What-all was needed to convert from the '07-'09 size clutch to the '10 version?

'08 Bullitt -Highland Green
'09 GT-500KR -Black/Black

Site Sponsor
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldlugs View Post
New flywheel design and improved style clutch supposedly went in as of 9/01/08. I'm curious though... What-all was needed to convert from the '07-'09 size clutch to the '10 version?
They did that in 08 but were still missing one piece that was finally done in March of 09.

The 2010 clutch replacement includes larger clutch, different flywheel, throw out bearing and slave unit. If you want check out our forum on here..Powerhouse Racing and Performance (PHRP) and Wes can give you more info on it.

Shellee Kallas
6332 Lee Ann Lane
Naples, Florida
United States, 34109
(239) 596-1845
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

i got a mcleod twin disc clutch for 1300 so yea deff not a good price you may as well go that way and buy a performance clutch if they wanna charge you that much..

R.I.P. Baby Shelby GT '07 9/8/09

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
Abraham Linclon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page