I want some clarification - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-03-2007 Thread Starter
PONY Member

I want some clarification

Ok, I have heard almost every Chevy guy with H/C/L talk about how they destroy GT500's. I know that the GT500 is a little on the heavy side, but it can't be true that GT500's lose to Chevys every time. Granted most of the Chevy guys are heavily modded, but couldn't a few minor bolt ons propel the Shelby into the single digits?

2000 GT Auto. Stalled, Performance Automatics Manual Valve Body, K&N FIPK, 3:73, Magnaflow Tru-X Crossover and Catback, MM Adj. Rear Lower C/A's, KB Subframe Connectors, Accufab 75mm TB & Plenum, UPR k-member, MM coilover & cc plates, 18" 03 Cobra Replica Polished Rims - SOLD -

2008 G8 GT - NEP OTR, ARH 1 7/8 Long Tube Headers, BP Catch Can
Tuned
366 / 374
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-03-2007
Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
Smaller pulley and a better tune will certainly help.

1965 Mustang Coupe
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-05-2007
S197 Mustang Owner
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Send a message via AIM to hotshot
the GT500 has a lot of potential. And yes, it does have a few pounds that it could lose. a 4 valve 5.4 liter supercharged motor has some serious bite to it

2007 Mustang GT Convertible Stage 0 E-Force #402 Supercharger, Brenspeed Tune (435/400), GT500 Fuel pump, Clutch Delete Option, Roush Front Fascia, Brembos, California Dream Hood, Qwitch latch flush mount hood pins, MRT Light Bar, J&M LCA's, BMR UCA, UPR catch can, 6000k, Pypes Bombs, Pypes X-pipe, Airbrushed Flame pieces under the hood, Clear corners, GT500 shocks , FRPP P-springs (rear), BMR Adj Panhard, E-Force engine covers
2012 Ford Focus SEL 5Dr with MyFordTouch, Auto-Park, 303A Package,

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-05-2007
SHELBY GT 350 Member
S197 Member

Send a message via AIM to RetroGT2006
PEople always complain about how heavy the GT500 is.. but if you do a simple pulley,cai and tune.. and gears.. thatll be a totally diff monster.. Even with the "Weight" of the GT500, itll still OWN alot of cars out there.. so who cares if it doesnt fully compare to a Z06.. IMO chevy might have the upperhand b/c of less weight.. but at the same time.. IMO its still not half the car a GT500 is.. i might be a lil biased b/c ive grown to hate chevys.. not that anyone has made it that way but me.. its just we used to be a GM family.. Cadilacs.. Chevys, GMC's.. Pontiacs.. etc.. and when we bought new vehicles they repeatedly fell apart on us.. im sure it couldnt have been luck.. we had a total of 6 trucks between GMC/Chevy.. 4 Caddys... 2 Pontiacs... they ALL broke down alot.. we had them in the shop more then we had them in our possession... They'd be fine until they hit the 30-35k warranty mark and once it was out of warranty.. trannys blew.. motors blew.. this and that.. and its not like they were abused.. my dads a mechanic.. he takes care of all the cars.. and he drives them slow.. doesnt get on it much.. unless he has no choice merging onto the interstate.... when he drives my GT, i have to try to get him to accelerate semi hard.. lol.. its kinda sad.. but anyways.. the cars IMO arent as good as a build as Ford.. but then again, ive had people tell me theres no way all our GM's failed, and then they say they've never had aproblem.. and that the Fords they owned fell apart like no other.. So far, we have bought/owned 8 Fords.. they are still in the family.. and none have fallen apart.. none have had any issues.. I just hate having to hear the Chevy/Ford rivalry.. IMO its kinda childish.. who cares who made the car, you can rep what you like.. just dont start smack talking the other brand and not giving it props for the performance part of it.. like id never buy a GM.. but a Z06.. i duno.. that seems to be better built ? and another way i look at it is, if you have all this money to buy the car, you can repair it.. but i still have respect for vettes.. American cars shouldnt be fighting.. were in it for the same thing.. fight the Imports...

Daily Driver: 2006 Honda CBR600rr
Weekend Warrior: 2006 Mustang GT
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-05-2007
MACH I Member

GT500Girl is an AFM poster who runs her (red with white stripes) GT500 at the drags. She has several mods, including suspension, CAI, smaller diameter pully (with idler pulley added) and performance tune. Ask her what her best time is.

2013 Boss 302 gotta-have-it green
2008 Shelby GT500 torch red with black stripes + sequentials
2001 Cobra mineral grey with 2003 Mach 1 shaker hood
1996 Cobra color-shifting mystic paint + sequentials
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-05-2007 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Well, then again all Chevy owners I have heard or talked to think they can beat anything. Hell, my GT has hung with some of them usually until 3-4 gear. I get them every time from a dig, but oh well. Most of them talk out their ass without even knowing anything about the GT500. I mean, they when a Terminator lines up with them, so I can only imagine the result with a pulley swap and a tune.

2000 GT Auto. Stalled, Performance Automatics Manual Valve Body, K&N FIPK, 3:73, Magnaflow Tru-X Crossover and Catback, MM Adj. Rear Lower C/A's, KB Subframe Connectors, Accufab 75mm TB & Plenum, UPR k-member, MM coilover & cc plates, 18" 03 Cobra Replica Polished Rims - SOLD -

Tuned
366 / 374
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-05-2007
SHELBY GT-40 ULTIMATE Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

A Shelby will be a monster with a pulley swap, rear gears, and a tune to the computer, regardless of the weight. They run just as hard as a Terminator, they're neck in neck when modded equally. GT500Girl is a friend of mine and she can run 11's easy and with no traction. If she could hook up, she would be low 11's and she just has bolt ons.

AFM Site Administrator
Member: Mustang Club of America #82740, White Mustang Registry #362, NMRA, Fun Ford Weekend, Mustangs of Burlington

MOOG Certified Technician
For mods and sound clips, see profile and gallery.

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-06-2007
Site Sponsor
S197 Member

This is my best so far in the 1/8th. Like Eagle said I'm having a hard time hooking up. I finally got it to hook but only with traction on. Still working on those rear rims and meats. I have 550 RWHP and 541 RWTQ. I'm also daylighting the fronts. If you check out evopeform.com you can see their 9.96 quarter mile run....so yes, you can easily get them into the single digits.

7.55 1/8 Mile
.50 Reaction
1.80 60 FT
4.95 330 FT
94.70 MPH

Shellee Kallas
Powerhouse Racing and Performance
6332 Lee Ann Lane
Naples, Florida
United States, 34109
(239) 596-1845
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-06-2007
BOSS Member
S197 Member

I'm assuming these Chevy owners are driving a corvette? As that's the only sports car they really have right now.

The only thing that ticks me off about the GT500 is that it "has" potential. If I gunna pay 45k for this Cobra, I want it to come without the need to add anything else on.

I think I've probably mentioned this before, but I wonder if Ford used a modded 4.6 instead of the 5.4, would the weight difference have made a difference?

SOLD -2005 Black GT Whipple HO| Oil Seperator | Steeda Tensioner | 93 dyno tune | Autometer Cobalt | GTAs | Eibach Pro-kit | Tokico D-Specs | CHE UCA | BMR PH | BMR LCA | BMR LCA Bracket | 18x9/10 Deep Dish Bullits

2013 Shelby GT500
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-08-2007 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw0scoops123 View Post
I'm assuming these Chevy owners are driving a corvette? As that's the only sports car they really have right now.

The only thing that ticks me off about the GT500 is that it "has" potential. If I gunna pay 45k for this Cobra, I want it to come without the need to add anything else on.

I think I've probably mentioned this before, but I wonder if Ford used a modded 4.6 instead of the 5.4, would the weight difference have made a difference?
I believe most of them are driving 00'-02' SS's. I think the site is ls1tech.com. If you want a laugh or get pissed off, check it out, lol. I don't think it is the engine that is making most of the weight, but the suspension, chassis, and overall body.

Tuned
366 / 374
SHELBY GT 350 Member
S197 Member

Send a message via AIM to RetroGT2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelo00Gt View Post
I believe most of them are driving 00'-02' SS's. I think the site is ls1tech.com. If you want a laugh or get pissed off, check it out, lol. I don't think it is the engine that is making most of the weight, but the suspension, chassis, and overall body.
Went on there for some laughs.. Man these people hate Ford/Saleen or anything Ford related at that..

They dont think Saleen should be given such good credit for the S7 Supercar HAHAHA.. is he for real?

Oh and another guy posts
"Don't know how many times I've ran down one of his blue oval pony cars.
He drove a 1999 WS-6..
If im not mistaken, this car came with a 3.8L V6, and had an upgrade to 5.7L V8 if owner wanted to pay the extra $$.. And one other thing, i thought the 5.7L V8 in that car only had 320hp at the crank..? If thats true, then this guy didnt "Run down" plenty of mustangs or saleens.. hmm just thought id point that out.. I just hate when anyone makes it sound like they are soo much faster..

Sorry guys, had to entertain myself.. waiting to go to class to take my finals..

Ford > Chevy

Daily Driver: 2006 Honda CBR600rr
Weekend Warrior: 2006 Mustang GT
Rookie

Chevy killer!

I believe the last Evo track run with a GT 500 was a 9.38!
The 5.4 is an original 330 CI block with Cobra heads, not a GT 4.6. For a lot of reasons (including insurance, Government regs, Etc) the GT 500 is starving for air out of the factory. Add a tune, a 2.6" pulley, and a cold air intake and watch the horses jump well over 100 ponies at the wheels! Add some street slicks and piss all over the Chevy heads!
I had my GT 500 tuned at Evo yesterday and went looking for a little fun this morning. One taker at a light got embarrassed as I destroyed him through 2nd gear @ 80MPH pulling 6K RPM before leaning on the brakes for a light. He was driving a Z06-LS7 (505HP, 479TQ @ 3100LBS) . I am laying down 560RWHP, 570RWTQ @ 3900Lbs. It was so much fun to see the expression on his face! I think he wanted to take off that Corvette jacket he was wearing.

2008 Shelby GT 500 - Vista Blue w/ white stripes
Took delivery Oct 30, 2007, C&L Intake, 2.6" pulley with idler, Ford Racing (Borla) axel back stingers.
Evo tune & Dyno...560 RWHP / 570 RWTQ

1970 Mach I - 351C 4V, .040 over, FMX
Ground up restoration - work in progress - ETA 06/08
Site Sponsor
S197 Member

Nice kill Neil! lol That's cool..I wonder if they have video up of that 9.38 run yet. I wanna see it. lol I love watching their stuff.

Shellee Kallas
6332 Lee Ann Lane
Naples, Florida
United States, 34109
(239) 596-1845
Rookie

The Evo run was actually 9.72 without Nitrous, however he ran a 9.34 with a 75 shot of NO. Still very impressive! You can see it here on Myspace...
MySpaceTV Videos: Evolution Performance - 2007 Shelby GT500 Runs 9.34 @ 147mph by F.A.S.T.

2008 Shelby GT 500 - Vista Blue w/ white stripes
Took delivery Oct 30, 2007, C&L Intake, 2.6" pulley with idler, Ford Racing (Borla) axel back stingers.
Evo tune & Dyno...560 RWHP / 570 RWTQ

1970 Mach I - 351C 4V, .040 over, FMX
Ground up restoration - work in progress - ETA 06/08
Site Sponsor
S197 Member

Nice..yeh..I went to their website and seen all those runs. Makes me drool! lol Keep me posted on how your doing with it Neil. Damn I love Stangs. Just can't get enough. Hopefully I'll get some descent vid of my car at the track tomorrow..but won't be as fast as it should be yet. It's coming though..got my wheels being built now. I'm so excited.

Shellee Kallas
6332 Lee Ann Lane
Naples, Florida
United States, 34109
(239) 596-1845
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page