I Have A Question About A 2009 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500KR - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-31-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

I Have A Question About A 2009 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500KR

Hello to you all, my name is Chris and I live in Shreveport, LA. This is my very 1st post so I do apologize for not making an introduction post

Also, the question I'am going to ask I will probably get flammed and jump on. I'm really expected that so I will be ready to take the incoming bullets my question is going to get me

I'm a huge fan of the Knight Rider t.v. show, both the original 1980's version and the NBC relaunch 2007 / 2008 version

Just recently I've really grow a great appreciate for the 2007 / 2008 NBC relaunch. It was really awesome that the new K.I.T.T. was a Ford Mustang aka a basic Ford Mustang GT with parts to make it look like a GT500KR

Well, alot fans of the Knight Rider t.v. show are fans of the original 1980's version. Alot of those fans have K.I.T.T. 2000 replica which everyone knows was a Pontiac Trans Am, actually a good number do. There are a small, very small few that have K.I.T.T. 3000 replicas. I know a couple of guys that do

Just recently I found a pretty low number 2009 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500KR for sale

I want to try and buy it but the problem I've got, it has a manual transmission and I can't drive stick. I grew up in a single parent household, a Mom so I never had a Dad to teach me to drive stick or a male figure

My question or questions to you guys and gals is -

( 1 ) Is it even humanly possible to change and switch the manual transmission to a automatic transmission in a 2009 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500KR?

( 2 ) If it is possible, what is the cost I'm looking at to get the change and switch from a manual transmission into automatic transmission?

( 3 ) What is the best place to have something like this done at?

I know I'm going to get chastised and beat up on for wanting to make this change

This car wouldn't be my daily driving car, it would be a car to drive every other Sunday to church. Also, I'm not looking to street race in this car or turn corners fast or to burn rubber. That isn't why I want to purchase this specific car

This car would just be for sitting up and put in a few modifications to make look like K.I.T.T. 3000

I know some are going to say, just buy a basic Ford Mustang GT and get the GT500KR parts. Well that is a problem because alot of the GT500KR parts and accessories are no longer being made and are hard to find

It is so much easier to just buy a GT500KR because you have 75% of a K.I.T.T. 3000 replica already with just the car itself

I apologize for the very long post. I respect everyone that has automatic transmission Ford Mustang and a manual transmission Ford Mustang. I do hope that people will respect my topic

I'm open to all thoughts and opinions on this

I'am looking for serious help in this so if anybody can help me, I would be very appreciative and also grateful

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-31-2016
PONY Member

Hey Chris and welcome aboard!!

First off.....if you're from the South you need to say y'all....not "you all"!!

Why wouldn't you buy the car and learn to drive the manual trans.....not rocket science and actually lotsa FUN!!

If you change out the trans wouldn't it hurt the value of a car like that??

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-31-2016
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

You can learn to drive a stick in about an hour, and you will be a better driver for it.

130 total pounds of Pitbull ruled by 8 pounds of cat.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-03-2016
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Not pushing a sale, but I have the provisions (minus wiring for an auto swap)
The reason I say is because I ditched it.

GT, V6, GT500, especially a KR, manuals rock.
Do your KITT add ons, but please, get and leave the stick.
Grab a non judgmental friend, heck nowadays, youtube can teach you.
Find a huge empty parking lot. Once you get your start, 1-2 and beginning from Reverse down, you are ready to drive about town a bit.
You'll love the feeling of being able to drive stick, and by the end of your first tank, will be rather proficient.
The rest is just time. Much like riding a Bike.

1993 Mustang GT
UDPs, Smog/AC Delete, O/R H, Dumped Straight Pipes, 155lph Fuel Pump, Factory "CAI"

Mostly Restoration
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-10-2016
Rookie

Hey Chris, I totally agree with the posts above. Buy the car and take the time to learn how to drive the stick shift. You will be happy you did as you will then be able to drive other collector/performance cars in the future. A few years back, my daughter, who lives in another state from me, bought a car she liked that had a stick shift and she had never driven one before. She needed to get it home by herself and figured it out with some help from the salesman. She has never looked back. Additionally, the GT500KR cars are uncommon and are becoming collectible. Changing to an automatic will significantly reduce its value!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page