Buy Mustang In China - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-01-2008 Thread Starter

Exclamation Buy Mustang In China

Hello,

Im french living in china. I called lot of FORD distributor but they dont even know the model MUSTANG ... So here is my question : Is there anybody import this car in china or hongkong ? I want to buy this car but can not find anywhere

thx a lot and happy new year !!!!!

Steve.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008
SHELBY GT 350 Member
S197 Member

Send a message via AIM to RetroGT2006
Im sure you can, when i was purchasing my 06 GT Mustang, a british guy was having 6 or 7 fully loaded Mustang GT's shipped into his country.. so i assume it would be somewhat similar with china.. good luck

Daily Driver: 2006 Honda CBR600rr
Weekend Warrior: 2006 Mustang GT
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-12-2008
S197 Mustang Owner
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Send a message via AIM to hotshot
All i know it that you need to pay major shipping costs, huge taxes, and a conversion of the driver's wheel as well. it will not be cheap, and finding spare parts will be annoying as heck too.

2007 Mustang GT Convertible Stage 0 E-Force #402 Supercharger, Brenspeed Tune (435/400), GT500 Fuel pump, Clutch Delete Option, Roush Front Fascia, Brembos, California Dream Hood, Qwitch latch flush mount hood pins, MRT Light Bar, J&M LCA's, BMR UCA, UPR catch can, 6000k, Pypes Bombs, Pypes X-pipe, Airbrushed Flame pieces under the hood, Clear corners, GT500 shocks , FRPP P-springs (rear), BMR Adj Panhard, E-Force engine covers
2012 Ford Focus SEL 5Dr with MyFordTouch, Auto-Park, 303A Package,

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-12-2008
PONY Member
S197 Member

Do you speak Chinese? In Mandarin the Mustang is called "Ye Ma Che" - phonetically:

Ye = as "uh" in duh

Ma = as in mama

Che = the "e" is pronounced as the "ou" in should

However, I see you are in Guangzhou and they mostly speak Cantonese down there. I do not so I cannot tell you the Cantonese pronunciation.

Most of them also speak Mandarin so you may want to ask for it by that name.

I have considered shipping mine over next time I am there for another extended stay, but only to certain areas. Outside of Shanghai there are some very nice roads and Hangzhou is decent to drive in. Beijing - no way in hell!!

Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency.

2012 Shelby GT500, Black on black
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-12-2008
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotshot View Post
All i know it that you need to pay major shipping costs, huge taxes, and a conversion of the driver's wheel as well. it will not be cheap, and finding spare parts will be annoying as heck too.
The conversion is only for Hong Kong - mainland China (where he is at) drives on the same side as the US.

Well, sort of - actually they just drive EVERYWHERE!!

Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-19-2008

I live in Zhuhai, China near Hong Kong on the China side and I have been looking into importing a new GT. These seem to be the main issues:

1) A standard Mustang and especially a GT will not pass the emissions test, so you will have to drive it somewhere in China where they have lower standards and get tags there. I know someone who did that with his Ferrari. I almost laughed out loud when a Chinese person told me that a 1.6 liter Focus is considered a bit of a gas hog in China.

2) Chinese law will not allow used cars to come into the country. This is because the government wants to control the amount of cars. If everyone here could buy a car used car from the US it would be swamped here. So you have to prove that it is a new car, thus it should be imported by the authorized distributor. Then the problem is that the dealer won't import it because of the trouble.

3) Import tax is crazy on cars here. In Hong Kong it is almost 50%! In mainland China it is not that much, but it is still going to add a lot.

Solution: Start meeting people who have exotic cars and who work in the Chinese government. Once you meet the right person, they will help you get any car you want into China.

All that said, I am going to get a GT here and I am going to blow everyone away!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancelot View Post
I live in Zhuhai, China near Hong Kong on the China side and I have been looking into importing a new GT. These seem to be the main issues:

1) A standard Mustang and especially a GT will not pass the emissions test, so you will have to drive it somewhere in China where they have lower standards and get tags there. I know someone who did that with his Ferrari. I almost laughed out loud when a Chinese person told me that a 1.6 liter Focus is considered a bit of a gas hog in China.

2) Chinese law will not allow used cars to come into the country. This is because the government wants to control the amount of cars. If everyone here could buy a car used car from the US it would be swamped here. So you have to prove that it is a new car, thus it should be imported by the authorized distributor. Then the problem is that the dealer won't import it because of the trouble.

3) Import tax is crazy on cars here. In Hong Kong it is almost 50%! In mainland China it is not that much, but it is still going to add a lot.

Solution: Start meeting people who have exotic cars and who work in the Chinese government. Once you meet the right person, they will help you get any car you want into China.

All that said, I am going to get a GT here and I am going to blow everyone away!
You summed it up pretty well. The Ferarri's can be bought in Shanghai and it's a little easier to get away with it there. Fortunately, that is where I have my apartment (on the Pudong side) but I am just not there as much as I used to be. I have a few American friends also there who have their 250 bikes dressed up to look much bigger, but they cannot have anything bigger than that there. I know they allowed Harley's to be sold in Beijing now, but you cannot take them in past the 4th ring.

Your solution is also right on the money, and I've got it covered (including the shipping), but since I do not want to get anyone in trouble, I am just going to leave it at that. And besides, it's not worth the effort for the short duration of my trips now. But damn, it would be so much fun because we could be GODS on the road there!!

A few of my in-laws (my wife is from Beijing) kept telling me how impressed they were with the power of their new Hondas. My Father-in-law even laughed at them since he has been here and ridden in my car - he just waved his hand in the air and told them "you have no idea!"

Are you from the States or is China your home?

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008
Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to China Mustang Send a message via Skype™ to China Mustang
Here's a Shanghai Mustang

This is a Mustang GT with Shanghai Plates....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0089.JPG
Views:	6426
Size:	395.4 KB
ID:	41661  
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-26-2008

We have sold a number of cars overseas, but the big problem is once they get there. You may contact a dealer in the AU.
Apprentice
Classic Member

I love the idea. I've been walking around Beijing and Shanghai the past 2 weeks looking for any cool American muscle, Nothing. I had the idea to maybe start an importing business bringing cars like these into China, yes out here we would be kings of the road. Now, I'd love to get a classic Mustang out on these roads. I'm sure there's some noise issues the local police would give us for our mufflers. A Chinese friend of mine told me some of these people driving Porsches and BMWs are paying double to own these cars. What about shipping the cars to East Europe and driving it through Russia, Kazakhstan then across the border near Urumqi? From there, put the car on a train to East China and you're in? I'm sure there's so much more to it that I will ever know.

Another idea, the Dynacorn 65-70 Mustang bodies are made in China. What if we bought one of those direct from the manufacturer, in China, then pieced it all together, its then a new car?

66 Coupe, Supercharged 408 Clevor, Viper T56, Cobra IRS
66 Coupe, Supercharged 03 Cobra drivetrain and suspension
03 Cobra, Supercharged

laspalmas I will be importing two mustangs (shelby gt500) from los angeles to beijing early 2010. Due to the chinese government's strict restrictions on road vehilces, such as carbon offsets, horse power and performance modifications, the vehicles im importing will not be registered and only to be sold as a race car for track racing. Those vehciles will have light modification work done in california.

Due to the heavy import duty (sum of all taxes around 230% of market value) that is on importing a vehicle to mainland china and it rarity in china, the shelby gt500s will have a very expensive price tag.

If you are still interested in driving a mustang in china then feel free to drop me a line.

Last edited by pcfrisch; 10-12-2009 at 08:32 PM.
Rookie

Looking for a Car Dealer in Shanghai to manage import of Mustangs

We are looking for a local car dealer in Shanghai that is willing to manage the import process and sale of Mustangs in Shanghai. We will find the buyers and purchase and ship the Mustangs to China. But we need to have a dealer involved to keep everything legal and to manage the import process and sale process. Anyone out there that can help or knows someone ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page