Turn Signals not working on my Mustang II, need advice! - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member
Mustang II Member
2.3L Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member

Turn Signals not working on my Mustang II, need advice!

so i was driving along and i noticed my blinkers quit working, when i got home the fuse and the relay were fine, but i also discovered that now my running lights are much more dim and now when i push the the brak pedal the outside tail lights and the front running lights/blinkers go so dim its like they are barely visible. Does anybody have any idea what caused this?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010
74stang2togo

Check all of your grounds, and check all of your power wires you can get to, it sounds like you've got either a loose ground or a short.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-30-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member
Mustang II Member
2.3L Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member

does anybody have any idea where any of this stuff is grounded at,
I have rolled around and rolled around trying to find something and can't

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-02-2010
Apprentice

Trace the wires back I know in the back there mounted on the license plate case and under the light. And in the front mine are on the radiator support or near the hood latch not sure what type of set up you got in yours. Hope you fix it
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamonte_1993 View Post
so i was driving along and i noticed my blinkers quit working, when i got home the fuse and the relay were fine, but i also discovered that now my running lights are much more dim and now when i push the the brak pedal the outside tail lights and the front running lights/blinkers go so dim its like they are barely visible. Does anybody have any idea what caused this?
Just was working on my 78 cobra II the other day after it has been sitting for a couple years and have a similar problem. On mine the right side signals are not working, left side seems to work normally. Also I do not have any brake lights. What did you find with yours? I have not had a chance to look at it yet but hoping to this weekend.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-07-2011
PONY Member
Mustang II Member

The ground for the rear harness attaches with a hex-head bolt to the side of the tin cage for the rear latch assembly, and for the front harness about 4" down each side of the rad support.

The most likely culprit is bad/corroded metal/contacts in the taillight sockets, causing the circuit to hunt for ground in all sorts of strange places. Pull out the taillight sockets and see if wiggling the wiring or bulbs makes a difference (if it does, then you've found the problem)

If the sockets are bad, you CAN replace them individually, but you'll be fighting the same battle when the next socket goes. A guy active on the mustangii.net site (51degII) makes an upgrade taillight harness for about $100+shipping that will fix bad taillight sockets AND give a much better look when the lights are in use. I have one in my own King, and I have installed them in pretty much every II built at Forgottenpony Customs...

78 Rat Snake
74 Avocado Ghia
lotsa parts and nowhere to work with them...
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-11-2011
Rookie

so I found the problem with the signal light, broken wire near the socket. Now I have realized that I have no brake lights either...
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-18-2020
Rookie

I'm having the same problem and nerrowed it down to the directional switch underneath the steering wheel or the cylinder behind the actual lock cylinder inside the column! It's nothing that the ignition lock cylinder pushes into!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-18-2020
Rookie

The thing*** Not (NOTHING)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page