Any police officers / attorneys out there?? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

Garage
Any police officers / attorneys out there??

Here's the story. Ive had many tickets in my life but I never heard of this one. My son was driving with his friend and his friend got a ticket (70mph in a 55 mph zone) He signed for the ticket the officer gave him. A few weeks later the ticket came in the mail. But a week and a half later another ticket came in. The officer decided to write another ticket for tinted windows BUT my son's friend didnt sign that ticket. On the bottom of the ticket where your supposed to sign said owners responsibility. (The officer just filled that in) As far as I know if you don't sign a ticket stating your going to appear to court or take care of it is should be void.
Please let me know if this has ever happen to you and what did you do about it.

2007 Mustang Gt Alloy Grey. 5 Speed, Cool Intake, Sequential Lights.
Magnaflow Exhaust, Viper Alarm w/ Remote Start, Eleanor Grille, GT500 Spoiler,Shorty Antenna.
Shaker 1000 w/ Sirius satellite,Heated Leather Seats,Tinted front and side running lights.
Lowered on 20 inch Niche F-18 Rims.

Ex wife not allowed in car....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011
Banned
4.6L Member

I'm not either, but I've found that if you try to fight it in court you will find the law and the judge are very disconnected...hard to win without an attourney and probably not even worth fighting if the tint is illegal...now if you can test it and show it's legal, then yeah, waste some time and watch the real idiots that show up in traffic court

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011
PONY Member

Send a message via Yahoo to viniepooh
No offence to anyone out there who might be in police or know someone in it or in juidicial structure, who is truly honest and such, but most them them are full of S#$t. The only time you can ever prove your point is if the cop gets sick and dont show up to the court. Back in when i was 16, i droped my mother off her work and when i was backing out i felt slight stop, i moved away from it stoped came out and look that i slightly scratched plastic bumper of green honda civic. I was new to this country and hardly knew english, it was a back door of her work and i coudlnt get back in, so i walked away from area asking if anyone knows whos car was it. (how stupid right?) lol. well long story short i couldnt find anyone, didnt know what to do so i left. Later on that day cop calls and says he have a report on me doing hit and run and i have to go to a court. Few days after in a court we both raise hands and swear not to lie, then he w/his district attourney pulls a picture of purple dodge stratus which had a front bumber hanging, bent fender and a cracked light and shows to a judge. He intern sentens me to a 500$ fee to fix that and revoke my licence to a half year., even after i kept saying this isnt what i hit, that all i did was left a white mark on a civics rear bumper.
That said, in my opinion most cops are pigs, but for those are there to trully serve and prottect, thank you for the service!

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by viniepooh View Post
No offence to anyone out there who might be in police or know someone in it or in juidicial structure, who is truly honest and such, but most them them are full of S#$t. The only time you can ever prove your point is if the cop gets sick and dont show up to the court. Back in when i was 16, i droped my mother off her work and when i was backing out i felt slight stop, i moved away from it stoped came out and look that i slightly scratched plastic bumper of green honda civic. I was new to this country and hardly knew english, it was a back door of her work and i coudlnt get back in, so i walked away from area asking if anyone knows whos car was it. (how stupid right?) lol. well long story short i couldnt find anyone, didnt know what to do so i left. Later on that day cop calls and says he have a report on me doing hit and run and i have to go to a court. Few days after in a court we both raise hands and swear not to lie, then he w/his district attourney pulls a picture of purple dodge stratus which had a front bumber hanging, bent fender and a cracked light and shows to a judge. He intern sentens me to a 500$ fee to fix that and revoke my licence to a half year., even after i kept saying this isnt what i hit, that all i did was left a white mark on a civics rear bumper.
That said, in my opinion most cops are pigs, but for those are there to trully serve and prottect, thank you for the service!
That sucks!!!! Sorry to hear about that.

Magnaflow Exhaust, Viper Alarm w/ Remote Start, Eleanor Grille, GT500 Spoiler,Shorty Antenna.
Shaker 1000 w/ Sirius satellite,Heated Leather Seats,Tinted front and side running lights.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Manystangs View Post
I'm not either, but I've found that if you try to fight it in court you will find the law and the judge are very disconnected...hard to win without an attourney and probably not even worth fighting if the tint is illegal...now if you can test it and show it's legal, then yeah, waste some time and watch the real idiots that show up in traffic court
Your right..... Cops know when they will have to arrive in court if someone tries to fight their ticket. The best thing to do is to postpone your court date and maybe JUST maybe he will be off that day or is on vacation.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011
Banned
4.6L Member

I'm sure you already know at this point...but I will chime in.

The signature at the bottom of the ticket...truly has no meaning. Doesn't matter if you sign it or not. Really doesn't matter if you are made aware of the court date as long as an attempt has been made. You got it in the mail...it could have been lost in the mail and wouldn't matter, the attempt was made. Now if it was a criminal charge...that's a horse of a different color. With this being a traffic violation....the court date and being present is only a chance to plead not guilty. If you don't show up, your automatically guilty and on the bubble for paying the fine.

I have tried the....go to court when the officer wasn't present. They called him in on his day off and pushed me to the end of the day. Still had to pay it.

The only ticket I have ever got out of was when I showed up for court. The officer that wrote the ticket had resigned and no longer worked for the police department. It was thrown out after that.

Those are the laws in TN.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011
GLOBAL MODERATOR
5.0L Member
S197 Member

While not common the ticket received in the mail it is legit.

Think of another situation where you are neither stopped nor sign a ticket . . . photo radar.

----------------------------
2019 Charger Scat Pack White
2012 Mustang GT, Roush 2300 Black
2006 Mustang V6 Manual Legend Lime Sold
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 060 RIP
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 059 Sold
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011
74stang2togo

As far as the "illegal tint" goes, was it a location issue or a darkness issue?

If it was location, he's boned.

If it's darkness, have it tested if the cop didn't do so himself at a licensed inspection facility, bring the signed paperwork stating it passes (if it does) to court with you, and that ticket will get thrown out.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011
SHELBY GT 350 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Don't know anything about California. All I can tell you is that in every state I have lived in the signature line at the bottom of the ticket is for the "violator" to sign that he promises to appear in court at the date and time specified on the ticket, in lieu of posting a bond of some sort.

Most of the time here in NC people aren't required to sign it at all unless the charge on the ticket is an arrest-able offense (more than 15mph over the limit, more than 80mph, Careless and Reckless driving, etc), heck even then one isn't required to sign it, the officer can just chose to slap on the cuffs and take ya downtown to post a cash bond before a magistrate-but that's a pain in the butt for the officer, too (more paperwork, wasted time) and usually reserved for the real jerks out there who want to discuss the best tasting donuts, etc.

Hers:2012 Mustang GT Premium,6M,Kona Blue Exterior/Charcoal Interior, 400A, HID/Security Pkg ,Comfort Pkg.
[COLOR="DimGray"][B]His: 2014 Mustang GT Premium,6M,Sterling Gray Exterior/Charcoal Interior,400A, Reverse Sensing/Security Pkg, Comfort Pkg SMR# 3635
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-17-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 74stang2togo View Post
As far as the "illegal tint" goes, was it a location issue or a darkness issue?

If it was location, he's boned.

If it's darkness, have it tested if the cop didn't do so himself at a licensed inspection facility, bring the signed paperwork stating it passes (if it does) to court with you, and that ticket will get thrown out.
Doesnt matter how dark or light the tint is. Here in California you cant have any tint on the driver or passenger windows.

GT Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by viniepooh View Post

That makes alot of sense. You have 1 bad expirience with 1 police officer and now most of them are pigs. Maybe you should enroll in your community college and take a stats class. Im sure this case was reported to the police department and no officer was actually there, because had one been there he would have been on you like stink on s***. The Dept. assigned an officer to represent the case in court. Its not his/her choice to pick what pictures or acusations are represented. Ill agree with you there are cops out there that are full of it, have a power/control complex but they are far and few between. If you do something wrong, and you get busted, its not the cops fault. How dare you accuse the majority of police officers sworn to protect YOUR ass of being pigs. Grow up

Just an old ford...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page