Gateway Reopens FINALLY! - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-02-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member

Gateway Reopens FINALLY!

So for those of you not in the midwest area, two years (Maybe more) ago Gateway International Raceway closed. Too my knowledge it was a fight over taxation and there being multiple owners arguing among each other. Well rumors circulated about a year ago that it was going to be reopened thanks to local support from some former big leaguers. News validated this a few months back that there was intentions to open Gateway again, but instead of being an "International Speedway" (Which is funny in itself, its in st louis, not really international) it is now Gateway Motorsport Park. I can't explain how awesome this is!

To me personally, I lost my passion for my cars when I stopped being able to go to the track. Not even as a driver, just not being able to spectate anymore was a true shame. I can't wait to be able to take the GT down the track as it closed just shortly before I bought it.

So to any of you from the areas that made the driver to gateway (Madison, IL just outside of St. Louis) here is the schedule for the year.
Schedule

Good Racing All!

2004 Sonic Blue V6 Automatic ~ Daily Driver
(Standard Bolt-On's) 20 MPG
2003 Torch Red GT Convertible Manual ~ Toy
(Looks good, Sounds Good) 20k miles
You make Lemonade, I'll throw the lemons back at your face.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-03-2012
MACH I Member
5.0L Member

Great news!

Man the memories .... A bunch of us raced every Wed night known as "Grudge Night" and mostly motorcycles but everything on wheels got a chance...from semi tractors to mini bikes.

I even held a track record for 2 years in my Roadrunner....

All that back when the track "went the other way". Us old guys all know what that phrase means.

The International name came from the Indy car races there and the owners hoped to became a major stop for various international automotive racing organizations.

'95 Ranger 5.0 GT40X Tri-y GT40 Intake S-Trim Snow Stage 2 Lowered Baer Racing Brakes Viper Spec Tremec w/Hurst shifter Custom Interior Dakota Digital Dash Corbeau Toplines OZ Racing AM/FM/Mp3/CD/DVD/TV.

2014 GTIG 5.0 Vert Base. Sil Carb Fiber dash. Bama Race Tune. Gibson axle backs. STEEDA Springs KONI STR.T Adj. Panhard. Dynamatted. Audiocontrol LC8i Amps and Sub! Leather OEM seats. Custom Badging.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-03-2012
74stang2togo

I was there in 2003 for WFC6, awesome venue, glad to see they got it reopened, too many drag strips and race tracks across the country are getting shut down or losing dates in bouts of stupidity from sanctioning bodies.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-03-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member

Frankly I'm debating hooking up with the SCCA as it appears to new management is trying to be more "Noob" friendly.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012
SHELBY GT-40 ULTIMATE Member
4.6L Member

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to jim293
That is good news. Out here they are closing them as fast as you can turn off a light. We lost two great tracks. One a Circle Track. Irwindale and the drag strip at the Fontana Speedway.

2002 Saleen S/C Coupe
#293 Torch Red
21st Century Intercooler & Heat Exchanger
Brembo Brakes
Corbeau Seats
#14 RMR (Red Mustang Registry)
Power in the hands of a few
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012
SHELBY GT 350 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim293 View Post
That is good news. Out here they are closing them as fast as you can turn off a light. We lost two great tracks. One a Circle Track. Irwindale and the drag strip at the Fontana Speedway.

Yeah I was sad to see Irwindale shut down. I liked the race they would televise the Saturday night of the 24 hrs of Daytona on SPEED (I remember it was sponsored by Toyota). Those races really seemed to have a ton of action.

As for Gateway, that was another one of my favorite races to watch on TV, the then Busch Series races (I remember that the AC/Delco Chevy pretty much owned that place back in the early 2000's between Kevin Harvick and then Ron Hornaday seemingly winning every race there).

Hers:2012 Mustang GT Premium,6M,Kona Blue Exterior/Charcoal Interior, 400A, HID/Security Pkg ,Comfort Pkg.
[COLOR="DimGray"][B]His: 2014 Mustang GT Premium,6M,Sterling Gray Exterior/Charcoal Interior,400A, Reverse Sensing/Security Pkg, Comfort Pkg SMR# 3635
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-27-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member

I don't believe that the NASCAR schedule has been discussed again yet. Frankly, I think the new owner is leery about getting involved with them due to NASCAR being. . . . well. . . .needy. It's an opportunity for large profits, but it comes at a large cost.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page