What bonehead driver did you see today? - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree38Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 71 (permalink) Old 10-09-2013 Thread Starter
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Garage
What bonehead driver did you see today?

This was actually last Sunday night, during my usual weekly commute from the High Country back down to The Valley.

10pm at night- no traffic, US 421 which is straight, nearly flat, two lanes in each direction, nice median and 65mph speed limit.

I'm cruising in the right lane doing 70, which is 5 over- my usual. Headlights approach behind me in the distance and a Mecedes SUV passes me on the left very quickly. I'd guess he was doing 75 or more, maybe 77. He switches lanes and gets about 10 seconds in front of me, then he slows down.

I got the cruise control on, still 70, and I slowly start catching up to the guy. About two minutes goes by and now he's three seconds in front, then two. So I switch to the left lane and "tap up" to 72. This is about my max because I know that the cops here let you slide at 7 over. The Merc speeds up a bit so I tap up two more, and I pass him.

Merc then speeds up and hangs in my blind spot. This goes on for a minute or so so I tap up two more, now I'm doing 76. Merc again matches my speed, and hangs in the blind spot.

This goes on for about 5 minutes. Finally Merc speeds up to 85 or so and passes me and keeps on going. Good riddance dbag.

2005 4.0 MT dual exhaust GT mufflers GT suspension and wheels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 71 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013
MACH I Member

I can't stand people that act like that. I end up losing my patience and drop from 6th to 3rd and I'm gone. I'll risk the ticket. Around here though that's not so much a problem as the people driving 5 under. You try to pass them in a normal, civil fashion and they floor it because they don't want to be passed or whatever reason.

Don't tailgate me on a two lane highway either...I'm gonna make your trip miserable if I can. If you come flying up my ass and stay there, you can bet I'm gonna drop my speed to be painfully slow. Usually gets me the finger but oh well. I'm not gonna be bullied on the road.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

| 2012 | Base | Performance White | 3.7 | MT82 | 2.73 | FRPP Sport Axlebacks | BMR lcas on the way
post #3 of 71 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013 Thread Starter
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Garage
Yeah slow-pokers don't like to get passed. I'll follow them 10 under for miles and then a passing lane comes up they speed right up to 10 over.

post #4 of 71 (permalink) Old 02-28-2014 Thread Starter
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Garage
Today I was in my daily driver, a '12 Jeep Grand Cherokee.

Bonehead comes out of a side street, runs the stop sign, into the left lane right in front of me, dogging it. I maintain my speed, pass him on the right then get in front of him. A half mile ahead I get into the left turn lane to get to my street. Bonehead is now apparently upset, as he is tailgating me.

I set my cruise on 4 over for the familiar two lane. Bonehead is trying to polish my bumper the whole way. In about a mile there is a tight right hand curve, so I turn the cruise off, crank the wheel and feather the throttle to maintain balance, and maneuver the curve flawlessly, not even any tire noise.

I look in the rear view and bonehead is no longer on my bumper. In fact he's not even in my lane. He's about 100 yards back and careening through the curve, completely in the opposing lane.

post #5 of 71 (permalink) Old 03-02-2014
Apprentice
4.6L Member

There are many many people in North Carolina who should never be allowed to drive a car. Some woman pulled out in front of me today going the opposite way. I had to slam on the brakes and when I laid down on the horn she shot me the finger like it was my fault.
post #6 of 71 (permalink) Old 03-02-2014 Thread Starter
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Garage
Wow you got the salute? Hasn't happened to me here. I learned to drive in Massachusetts and that was a standard hand signal though.
my89foxbody likes this.

post #7 of 71 (permalink) Old 03-03-2014
Apprentice

Overcaffeinated chick in red VW Beetle 'vert tries to pass on the right both left lanes of rush hour Interstate traffic, in a spot even out-of-staters who've never been here can see is the site of several busy on-ramp merges. Needs to slam on brakes and fall back in behind us again when large sedan merges onto the highway, not realizing she's going well over 80 mph. This all takes place with snow blowing on the road and the left two lanes already moving at 70+ mph.

I swear we have some of the biggest nut jobs around here. And I grew up in northern NJ, where aggressive driving is practically an officially sanctioned sport. At least back in the day we were smart about it.

Black 2013 Mustang 5.0 MT82 w/401A package and 3.31s

Black 2000 Mustang GT (owned 2001-2013, sold at 177,000 miles)

Brown 1971 Triumph TR6
post #8 of 71 (permalink) Old 03-05-2014
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyW View Post
There are many many people in North Carolina who should never be allowed to drive a car. Some woman pulled out in front of me today going the opposite way. I had to slam on the brakes and when I laid down on the horn she shot me the finger like it was my fault.
So true. I'm in the Salisbury area and for some reason hardly any of the moronic drivers in NC use their turn signals. They also will cut right in front of you, no signal, and then give you a dirty look like: "Don't tailgate me mofo"!
Another Carolina favorite is when you're tooling down a two lane at speed and a sidestreet driver will not wait until you pass and enter your lane, they wait until you're almost to them and then leisurely pull out right in front of you going in the same direction?!
Since I'm working in Richmond Va. over the past five years, I've seen a lot more courteous drivers in Va., including turn signal use, than my brother Carolinians, sad to say.

1993 Reef Blue Notch 5.0, flowmaster three chamber cat backs, K+N air, 3.73, cobra clutch, 158k and still kicking. 2014 Mustang GT prem., Black, Brembo, manual, 3.73 gear, fog-light tint, new GT floormats, led license plate bulbs, Jlt oil separator, K&N drop-in air filter, SickSpeed black shifter knob with red shift pattern, GT 500 axle backs, locking gas cap, painted MMD quarter window covers, Roush chin splitter, red Lethal Performance windshield banner, SHR black fuel door.
post #9 of 71 (permalink) Old 03-06-2014
Apprentice
4.6L Member

I always thought that Carolina drivers were pretty decent but they have went downhill fast. Especially way out in the country where I live. I can usually just pass whoever in my Mustang but when I am in my Focus there isn't much I can do.
Apprentice

Quote:
I always thought that Carolina drivers were pretty decent but they have went downhill fast. Especially way out in the country where I live. I can usually just pass whoever in my Mustang but when I am in my Focus there isn't much I can do.
Yeah, I live out in the country near China Grove and it seems the closer I get to Charlotte or Durham the worse the drivers are. Most country folks don't seem to be in as much of a hurry to cut you off or tailgate. Maybe it's a city thing.

1993 Reef Blue Notch 5.0, flowmaster three chamber cat backs, K+N air, 3.73, cobra clutch, 158k and still kicking. 2014 Mustang GT prem., Black, Brembo, manual, 3.73 gear, fog-light tint, new GT floormats, led license plate bulbs, Jlt oil separator, K&N drop-in air filter, SickSpeed black shifter knob with red shift pattern, GT 500 axle backs, locking gas cap, painted MMD quarter window covers, Roush chin splitter, red Lethal Performance windshield banner, SHR black fuel door.
Rookie

As a Charlotte resident I can attest to the fact that there are a ton of bad drivers here. I don't know what is going through thier heads half the time. My favorite is when I am the only car on the road (start work at 445 AM so it is pretty common) when someone pulls up on a side street. They sit there....and sit there....and sit there....until I am close enough to have to slam on the brakes as this moron with limited brain power cuts me off and proceeds to drive 10 under the limit. And God forbid if its raining.....

2014 V6 Premium, Pony Package, Deep Impact Blue
Apprentice
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmu9522 View Post
As a Charlotte resident I can attest to the fact that there are a ton of bad drivers here. I don't know what is going through thier heads half the time. My favorite is when I am the only car on the road (start work at 445 AM so it is pretty common) when someone pulls up on a side street. They sit there....and sit there....and sit there....until I am close enough to have to slam on the brakes as this moron with limited brain power cuts me off and proceeds to drive 10 under the limit. And God forbid if its raining.....
Or they go one block and take their sweet time turning on another street. That burns me up.
post #13 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-29-2015 Thread Starter
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Garage
I was on I40 this morning and for once not in a hurry, so I was puttering along in the right lane (travel lane) at about 4 over. I'm about 20 car lengths behind some guy in the left lane (passing lane) doing about 5 over. No traffic, so he's a Leftist.

A gal in a Honda passes me at about 10 over, and I can see she's texting. She quickly catches up to the Leftist, and tail gates him. She must be a Leftist too, because she can't figure out how to pass this guy. Or maybe she's just too busy texting.

This continues on for about 2 miles. Always amusing when a faster Leftist meets up with a slower one.

PONY Member
S197 Member

Garage
You guys should try Utah, they give you the book when you take your driving test. Basically everybody gets a licence, turn signals are optional and tailgating is mandatory.

2007 Saleen S281 3-valve #170
Apprentice

Quote:
Yes my home state of North Carolina has some of the rudest drivers. From no turn signals to tailgating to pulling up and almost touching your rear bumper at stoplights.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in