Are some vendors stepping over the line? - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
SHELBY GT 350 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Look, just my .02

I have learned so much on this forum especially the last couple of years since I actually joined-and a lot of what I learned was from our vendors who have "been there, done that"...

The awesome thing about many of the guys here is that they are not just hawking products for us to buy. Many-no make that MOST of them actually purchase and use the very products that they are trying to sell to us. Yes I said purchase-in most cases unless they are representing the actual manufacturer themselves they have to buy the products to put on their own cars that they have blood, sweat, and tears invested in.

The other thing that I like is that, for the most part, they know each other and generally play nice together. Is that always the case? No, there have been examples when things get a little tense between the vendors but for the most part they try hard to keep the competition civil.

SO although I do snicker every once in a while at a post that sounds more like a NASCAR driver interview at the end of a race, I have absolutely zero issue with the level of involvement by any of the vendors that sponsor this site.

For various reasons I have had to keep the 2012 Mustang stock, the biggest of which is that it truly is not my car but my wife's. Although I drive it pretty much everyday that I work, that is only because wifey loves me very much (I still wonder why, but I digress) and allows me to do that. She loves the car the way it is, so stock it stays.

The 2014 has no such restrictions and as such I have some small simple plans for it to start and after those are finished, I may decide to allow the mod bug to carry me further down that road. And if I do, I am glad to know we have some vendors who will chime in on the discussions that we will certainly have when that time comes

Hers:2012 Mustang GT Premium,6M,Kona Blue Exterior/Charcoal Interior, 400A, HID/Security Pkg ,Comfort Pkg.
[COLOR="DimGray"][B]His: 2014 Mustang GT Premium,6M,Sterling Gray Exterior/Charcoal Interior,400A, Reverse Sensing/Security Pkg, Comfort Pkg SMR# 3635
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

MACH I Member
Classic Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

As long as they are not shills (pretending yo be a customer and saying x product is "great" while y product is" garbage" I have no problem and welcome their activity

Special shout out to Vmp tuning as I was looking for a mods list on the GT500 site (different site then here) and they flat out told me" no you don't Need x, y or z" (instead of going for a sale)

Also AM is on here taking care of customers here and Brenspeed used to be very active here giving great advice and taking care of customers.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2011 Shelby GT 500: C&L CAI, Roush GT 500 Performance axlebacks, Steeda 2.65 Supercharger pulley with idler/belt tensioner, Ford SVT Custom Racing Tune, SVT package, Glass roof, Tech package
Gone: 2011 GT/CS Black
Gone: 2010 Sterling Gray GT, Track Pack
GT Member

I wish they (vendors) would do it more often then what they are currently doing. As a matter of fact their posts are 90% better then the members. At least they are sharing the most current products and not the same old subjects we read day in and day out........l

PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr View Post
The vendors support the site, no vendors = no forum site.

So, they get special allowances, you don't have to buy their products or pay attention to their posts.
Yep, you can put any user on ignore, including vendors.
SHELBY GT 350 Member

My two cents:

Most of the forum reps are true Mustang enthusiasts. We try to use our own Mustang experience to help the members out anytime we can. I try to live my life with integrity. I don't make a suggestion unless I believe in it. I won't sell a part if I don't believe in it. I've been building & racing my own Mustangs for 21 years. I currently own a 2011 5.0 which I daily drive and race, an '89 LX which I race, and an '86 GT which is a RestoMod project. More often than not, the parts I recommend are parts that I'm using on my own vehicles, or parts I've used in the past. I'm not saying I'm an "expert", but I've learned a lot over the years- enough so that I earned a gig as a Contributing Editor to 5.0 Mustang Magazine. So yeah, I tend to gravitate toward the posts from people looking for help, even if it's not related to my employer.

Of course, my employer pays me to represent the company here on AFM. Also, we pay several hundred dollars per month to post on AFM. It's our most expensive forum out of 19 that we sponsor. So if a person asks for a parts recommendation and I have a part which will do the job, I'll definitely recommend my parts. In addition to helping to pay the forum's operating expenses, we try to help the AFM community by offering a forum discount. Our aim is for this to be a win-win relationship. Sometimes though, people don't like what I do here, or what all of us forum reps do. I understand and move along. It's all part of the job. I will say this, I've made great friends repping my company on the forums. Helping them out and seeing them succeed is the most gratifying part of what I do.

Like us at Facebook.com/TeamUPR
Follow us on Instagram @uprproducts
Ask me about the discount on UPR Products for AFM members!
GT Member
5.0L Member

I enjoy reading posts by vendors. They tend to know a lot about the parts their companies make and enjoy reading about why they do what they do.

2013 Mustang GT, Track Pack, Recaro Seats, MT82, GT500 Axle Back, Boss 302 Quad Exhaust, Transmission Bushing Insert, MGW Shifter, Steeda Shift Knob, GT500 Spoiler, MMD Hood Struts, CPC Battery Covers.
GT Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

From what I've seen from vendor representatives on this site is much like Sharad stated just above. Answering the questions with experience on their own cars, and the parts they have had good experience with, whether its the overall quality, price or performance gains.

If the vendor stands behind their product enough to put it on their personal car, that says a lot in my book. I like hearing their opinion on how the part works for them and why they prefer the part. This is how we learn things about the parts, and can make an educated decision before purchase.

2011 Performance White 5.0 Premium 6spd MT, 3.73's, 401A
Mods: Staggered 18" FR500 wheels with 255 45 18, & 295 45 18 tires, Air Lift Drag Bags, Roush axle backs, Eibach Pro springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard bar, Center Fog grille, MMD Hood Struts,BAMA Tuned, JPC Line Lock, Blowfish Racing Bracket
GT Member

i prefer the vendor to chime in. im my opinion, if a vender chimes in i have the opportunity to ask question and learn more about the product. brands are just that, a brand. most products are made the same when theyre within the same price range. some quality are different but the majority are on par with each other. my profession has to do with business, and i learn that the product sells itself and repeated customers are the one the bring their wallets back and brings their friends wallets. now if it was a vendor bashing another product and tries to sway me into buying his, thats crossing the line. so far, ive been on here for 2 years or so and all vendor post ive seen are just their personal opinion on the product they carry. most are using the product theyre recommending so that puts me that much more at ease.

a man's most expensive hobby started with a 97 cent hotwheels

1999 saleen s281sc vert 11k miles #261/421 built 1/170 vert 1/10 exact combo
2000 Roush v6 sport 78k miles
Apprentice

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowellDoug View Post
While I'm unsure where this should be located, this section made the most sense. Of course if it is deemed that it belong somewhere else, I apologize and feel free to move it.

I also want to say that I don't have any personal issues with any vendors on here, and have shown my loyalty (and wallet) to many on a regular basis over the years, not just with my Mustang, but with some other Ford products I've owned.

What I have noticed lately (which I've never seen allowed on various other car forums), is certain vendors interjecting their own products as a sales pitch, in threads others have started, such as "which CAI should I buy?" or "which suspension components should I get to accomplish xxx?" etc. While I appreciate anyone's feedback, including vendors, I think it's overstepping things a bit when a vendor pops in and simply states that the person should buy said part/accessory sold by said vendor.

Not all do this, but there's a couple that do this with great frequency. Vendors have their own sections where they can promote their services and products. If someone has started a thread regarding a specific brand of a part, and have concerns or questions, then I sure don't have a problem with that particular vendor interjecting or offering their assistance.

As I said, I have no personal issues with any vendor on here. They all provide a valuable service and quality products, but I think there's a time and place for them to do so. I've never seen this behavior on any other vehicle forum I've been a member of, or am a member of, but I understand every forum is run differently and I respect that.

Just my two cents, feedback is appreciated.
My feedback is that you are making an issue of a non-issue. While I am a new member of just 2 months here, I have been on here several times and have no feeling of being pushed to buy anything from anyone. I have seen and appreciate site sponsors posts. I want to learn what is available for my Mustang and who can provide it. I appreciate site sponsors providing this info. These are the experts and their info enhances this site. Thank you site sponsors.

2011 Mustang GT 5.0, Kona Blue, Auto, Quarter Louvers, Black Bullitt Wheels. GT500 Axleback Exhaust.
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-01-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E GT View Post
My feedback is that you are making an issue of a non-issue. While I am a new member of just 2 months here, I have been on here several times and have no feeling of being pushed to buy anything from anyone. I have seen and appreciate site sponsors posts. I want to learn what is available for my Mustang and who can provide it. I appreciate site sponsors providing this info. These are the experts and their info enhances this site. Thank you site sponsors.
It's honestly not an "issue" with me - it was simply an observation, based on posts I've seen in the past. The vast majority of the vendors are great, I fully understand their function in keeping this forum running and I myself have and will continue to use many of the vendors for purchases.

As I stated before (more than once), my statement was directed at a couple who don't seemingly provide any type of advice or constructive feedback, they just throw a link up to their product, basically saying "buy me", but don't give a reason why their widget is superior to the other widgets on the market.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and everyone may have observations that differ from other members. I may have seen specific postings by vendors you may not have seen, and visa versa. I was being diplomatic by not pointing fingers at any specific vendor.

There's many threads on here that I read that I think are worthless, and if you (or anyone else) feels this thread was pointless, so be it. I certainly don't take offense.

'14 V6 Prem. 6 speed Perf. Pkg. Oxford White/Saddle
Mods in profile
Global Moderator
Mustang II Member
Classic Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to heavy metal
I like that the vendors chime in,it adds to the thread. I am moving this to the lounge.

Cherish those around you,for at the blink
of an eye,they can be gone.

AFM GLOBAL MODERATOR
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowellDoug View Post
It's honestly not an "issue" with me - it was simply an observation, based on posts I've seen in the past. The vast majority of the vendors are great, I fully understand their function in keeping this forum running and I myself have and will continue to use many of the vendors for purchases.

As I stated before (more than once), my statement was directed at a couple who don't seemingly provide any type of advice or constructive feedback, they just throw a link up to their product, basically saying "buy me", but don't give a reason why their widget is superior to the other widgets on the market.
I see where your coming from now, and I too have seen the posts, basically posts an add for a sale, particular product, etc. and some of them do just that, rarely if ever post otherwise on the board. I can see that. But, as mentioned, they do pay a lot of money each month to support the site, and thus, I believe entitled to post those types of ads. None if them, that I have noticed, have been anywhere near over the top on those types of posts either. Not to mention, as posted above, no sponsors, no site.

2013 GT 6 spd, GT500 mufflers, BOSS quad exhaust, Roush CAI, Barton shifter & 2 post bracket
CS GT-40 Wheels, Hotchkis sway bars, upper and lower control arms, springs (1.1/1.6 drop) and adj panhard bar KONI yellow struts and shocks J&M caster/camber plates,
BMR Upper control arm mount and lower control arm brackets.

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR Tech View Post
^ I could not agree more.

I always try to help. Even if it isn't about, or related to a BMR specific part.
And please keep it coming. I for one have learned much from your postings.
Site Sponsor

When I see a thread entitled "Where to Buy LEDs" or something of that nature, I will always recommend Diode Dynamics because I trust our products and I want to help members get what they want.

I've owned my 2007 GT for a long time, and I was on the forums way before I started working with DD. I still try to be as active and helpful as possible, even when it doesn't involve lights.

I can understand how some members might get frustrated when us vendors bump our threads or post about our product, but that's to keep members updated on our company.

I'd like members on here to consider me a resource, and PM me anytime they have questions about lighting. I will provide you with useful information even if you don't decide to shop with DD.

Thanks everyone,
Nick C.

HID and LED Lighting For Your Mustang
Visit diodedynamics.com To See Products!
(314) 205-3033
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page