cheap car challenge - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-08-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice

cheap car challenge

I took the idea from Top Gear and the cheap car challenges that they do. I thought it would be cool to take some old junkers on a road trip to a note worthy destination in the US. I have a few that are interested in taking on the challenge already, but who wouldn't be right? But, there are a few problems. One of course is the destination, and 2nd the cars the take or where to find them.
Specifics:
I live in San Antonio, TX
not afraid to drive out of state. Looking to do this between spring break or the start of summer.
if anyone knows of a cool place to visit or where to find a good deal on some junkers (looking at $1000 or less) throw me a line.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-08-2014
PONY Member

Why not try craigslist?

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-08-2014
MACH I Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Why not take a page from the guys at Hot Rod magazine. Have you ever checked out their "road kill" videos? You can find them on YouTube or their web site. One show they went to CTC AutoRanch, just north of Denton Texas. They boast 35 acres of cars there. Haha.They picked up a 67 Cuda, got it runnin and met the guys from Drag week at strip in Texas and flogged the Cuda on a couple passes. Granted they paid just under 4k for it BEFORE they started throwing money at it to get it running but I don't think your lookin for a Cuda.lol. Anyway, it might be more fun to resurrect something with your buddies and take it on a road trip and see what happens. Back in the day, all our cars were junkers. We bought em from people's yards for a few hundred. We didn't have a lot of money and I was raised, "if you want something, go get it yourself". Every trip we took usually found us at some gas station parking lot turning wrenches or taping and wiring things back together. Lol. You got a cool idea Sterlinggt. Hope you get to do it.

08 GT 5spd
Spectra CAI, Comp Cam Detroit Rockers, Kooks headers w/catted H-pipe, Revolution Automotive dyno tuned, FB430 race mufflers, 3.55s, JLT catch can, BMR Lca's and relo brackets. Prothane motor mounts and sway bar bushings.
20% tint, smoked markers and tail lights w/sequentials. Clear front signal covers, series 3 chin spoiler.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-08-2014
SHELBY GT 350 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Talking

Talk about bringing back memories of my 1980 Chevy Chevette!

4spd manual, no stereo. It did come equipped with the optional all natural A/C through the crank windows, Sunfloor (I had a really nice view of the lane markings through the floor when I would change lanes), interior washer (that same hole in the floor when I hit a water puddle), and the very popular flame throwing exhaust (wind out 3rd gear, bang the 3-4 shift, and a 4 foot long flame would shoot out the tail pipe)scared the hell out of tailgaters on a daily basis!!!

I paid $200 for it in January of 1991. In the next 2 years I made over $40k delivering pizza's in it. I hated the primer gray POS but it ended up being a great investment at the time

I can tell you that I would have been absolutely terrified to take it on a road trip, I was never sure that it would get me back home again (it always did, but still).

Hers:2012 Mustang GT Premium,6M,Kona Blue Exterior/Charcoal Interior, 400A, HID/Security Pkg ,Comfort Pkg.
[COLOR="DimGray"][B]His: 2014 Mustang GT Premium,6M,Sterling Gray Exterior/Charcoal Interior,400A, Reverse Sensing/Security Pkg, Comfort Pkg SMR# 3635
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-09-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandGT View Post
Why not take a page from the guys at Hot Rod magazine. Have you ever checked out their "road kill" videos? You can find them on YouTube or their web site. One show they went to CTC AutoRanch, just north of Denton Texas. They boast 35 acres of cars there. Haha.They picked up a 67 Cuda, got it runnin and met the guys from Drag week at strip in Texas and flogged the Cuda on a couple passes. Granted they paid just under 4k for it BEFORE they started throwing money at it to get it running but I don't think your lookin for a Cuda.lol. Anyway, it might be more fun to resurrect something with your buddies and take it on a road trip and see what happens. Back in the day, all our cars were junkers. We bought em from people's yards for a few hundred. We didn't have a lot of money and I was raised, "if you want something, go get it yourself". Every trip we took usually found us at some gas station parking lot turning wrenches or taping and wiring things back together. Lol. You got a cool idea Sterlinggt. Hope you get to do it.
I have watched a videos of roadkill, i missed the cuda one though. thanks for the tip on CTC autoranch. I will have to check them out and see if they having a running car for the price range. And thanks for the support, Fingers crossed this will actually happen. I will definitely post a thread of the journey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slorydn1 View Post
Talk about bringing back memories of my 1980 Chevy Chevette!

4spd manual, no stereo. It did come equipped with the optional all natural A/C through the crank windows, Sunfloor (I had a really nice view of the lane markings through the floor when I would change lanes), interior washer (that same hole in the floor when I hit a water puddle), and the very popular flame throwing exhaust (wind out 3rd gear, bang the 3-4 shift, and a 4 foot long flame would shoot out the tail pipe)scared the hell out of tailgaters on a daily basis!!!

I paid $200 for it in January of 1991. In the next 2 years I made over $40k delivering pizza's in it. I hated the primer gray POS but it ended up being a great investment at the time

I can tell you that I would have been absolutely terrified to take it on a road trip, I was never sure that it would get me back home again (it always did, but still).
sounds like you had the perfect car for the challenge. hopefully there are still cars out there like that to find for the right price of course.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-09-2014
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

look for 1st gen neons on CL. More fun than you think, parts are dirt cheap, junkyards are full of them, can be found for 1k all day, and are very simple cars so if something goes wrong you could probably patch it up on the side of the road

get a manual one and throw a timing belt and water pump at it. have fun

==2012 Kona Blue Mustang V6==
==1995 Neon Coupe==
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page