08 GT or 14 base? - Ford Mustang Forum
View Poll Results: Which for my first mustang?
The 08 GT 9 64.29%
The 14 v6 5 35.71%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-24-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

08 GT or 14 base?

Ok so my budget is right around 20k cash, after taxes tags titles etc. I had posted a week or so ago and narrowed it down to a 14 base v6 but damn I loved how the v8 drove today. (Both are black and manual, two things that I will not compromise ever).
The v6 is esentially outta the shop. Has some test drive miles. The gt... ok it has 66k miles.. but it looks soo much better to me and I think its just the body style, the fog lights idk. The hp is the same but I noticed the torquier ride in the gt

Well this is gonna be my first mustang guys and the week of August 11th is when I pick it up. Ive been driving an 03 eclipse gt (stick of course) for the list 5 years and im ready for my stang. This is hard. I know why get a car with 66k miles when u can mod this or buy a 2010 gt or keep looking around etc. Ive narrowed it down so whattaya think guys. I loved both. Poll of course.. Oh and the v6 is 17345, the gt is 16600 but negotiable.

Black 2007 GT Premium 5 Speed Manual
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-24-2014
Apprentice

Where did the miles on the v6 come from? Was it a test drive ***** vehicle?

2014 V6 Manual
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-24-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

The miles arent specific to that car since that dealership has 4 or 5 `14 base v6`s.. ill edit that part out. The one I drove had 800 I think im sub consciously trying to get It out of my mind that its a brand new car.. not sure why.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-24-2014
GT Member

I love the 2005-2009 GT body style. It's what got me back into Ford. I like the front of the 2011-2014 GTs, but that back end just kills me.

V6- Pros- cheaper insurance, gas mileage, fewer miles, still very reliable.
GT- Pros- torque, looks, sound, tons of performance parts, already done most of it's value depreciation
V6- Cons- fastest I've ever seen was like an 11.8 1/4 and it had over $10k in it, still a new car (won't be worth as much in 10 years)
GT- Cons- gas mileage, higher miles (I had 120k on my last GT, kicking strong), insurance

I personally prefer the 2005-2009 GTs. If the 2008 GT has brown coil boots and the 2008-2010 style heads, I'd jump on it. If insurance and fuel economy are an issue, the 3.7 V6s are great cars.

Current:
2007 Mustang GT 302 stroker 6060 swap, 3.73 gears, Hidden Hitch Receiver, Barton Short Throw, JBA LTs, Borla Touring Axle Back, Lito tuned SCT X4. BMR SP009, Bilsteins, J&M CC plates, J&M LCAs. 4 Piston Brembos
DOB GT450 with VMP Gen II 2.3 TVS | 13/14 GT500 HE & IWP | GT500 hat & DW340s | FRPP 52lb | CMS Stage 2 Blower Cams | Comp 113 Springs & Retainers | 8 rib conversion | Track Spec GT500 Vents | PTFE Heat Barriers
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-24-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

Great analysis and totally with you on those pros and cons. I dont like the new back either or the front but its a good looking car overall. The bodystyle of the 08 is flawless to me however. Gas mileage ill live with but would the insurance really be higher on the gt even if its older and not a "brand new sports car"? I didnt feel as cozy or in control with the v6. I had a smile on my face the whole time in the gt. I love the headlights and interior and the newer look I guess you could say. Its always been "my next car is gonna be a black mustang" but now narrowing it down is tough.

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-24-2014
MACH I Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
I don't think mpg is really that different. There's a thread in the V6 section about highway mpg and I don't see much difference in combined mpg from the V6 to the 4.6. I'm anywhere between 23 and 25 mpg for the last 3years that includes flexing a little muscle at least once a day.

Same with insurance, is it really gonna be that much of a difference if any?

Sounds like your already leaning towards the GT. I think you'll regret getting the 14.

08 GT 5spd
Spectra CAI, Comp Cam Detroit Rockers, Kooks headers w/catted H-pipe, Revolution Automotive dyno tuned, FB430 race mufflers, 3.55s, JLT catch can, BMR Lca's and relo brackets. Prothane motor mounts and sway bar bushings.
20% tint, smoked markers and tail lights w/sequentials. Clear front signal covers, series 3 chin spoiler.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-24-2014
GT Member
Classic Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Why not go with a Bullitt? I believe they made those in black and they're a special edition to boot. Although, if you had your heart set on fogs, they don't have them.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

13 Mustang GT 5.0
92 Mustang LX 5.0
65 Mustang Hardtop 289 C.I.D.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-24-2014
BOSS Member

Garage
You can buy a 2011 GT for 20K.

Shadow Black 2018 GT 10R80-355
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-24-2014
Apprentice

Gt for sure

06 gt - paxton novi 1200 supercharger, brenspeed tuned, BBK long tubes, SLP catback, 4.10s, o/r xpipe, Detroit Rocker Cams, electric cutouts, 501whp/417wtq
GT Member

For $20,000, you should be able to get the GT and throw on a Roush TVS 2300 supercharger. A ~200hp/200tq jump..

Current:
2007 Mustang GT 302 stroker 6060 swap, 3.73 gears, Hidden Hitch Receiver, Barton Short Throw, JBA LTs, Borla Touring Axle Back, Lito tuned SCT X4. BMR SP009, Bilsteins, J&M CC plates, J&M LCAs. 4 Piston Brembos
DOB GT450 with VMP Gen II 2.3 TVS | 13/14 GT500 HE & IWP | GT500 hat & DW340s | FRPP 52lb | CMS Stage 2 Blower Cams | Comp 113 Springs & Retainers | 8 rib conversion | Track Spec GT500 Vents | PTFE Heat Barriers
Apprentice

Personally I'd go with the '14 v6. While not quite as fun to drive, it still has the same HP as the older GT, and I'd prefer to have a new car with a warranty, and the features that come standard on the 14's like HID headlights, and Aux input, etc. Plus I wouldn't want to pay 20K for something with 66k miles and 6 years of (probably hard) driving, where it might start to need items replaced. Or if you really want a GT, maybe go for an 05-06, you should be able to snag one of those with like 80k miles for around 12k and save some money for later repairs or mods.

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT
SOLD -- 2014 Base GT 6 Speed Manual
Apprentice

^ yep a lot will depend on your appetite for unexpected maintenance. If you know who owned it previously and can verify records you should be able to piece together it's history to see what will come due for replacement sooner rather than later. That'll mitigate some of the risk.

2014 V6 Manual
MACH I Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
He has 20k to spend. The GT is goin for $16,600 and that's negotiable.

I like the idea of the 08 GT plus left over money to boost or the 2011 GT.

08 GT 5spd
Spectra CAI, Comp Cam Detroit Rockers, Kooks headers w/catted H-pipe, Revolution Automotive dyno tuned, FB430 race mufflers, 3.55s, JLT catch can, BMR Lca's and relo brackets. Prothane motor mounts and sway bar bushings.
20% tint, smoked markers and tail lights w/sequentials. Clear front signal covers, series 3 chin spoiler.
GT Member

To answer the question posed by the OP, sounds like you are set on one of the two, and leaning towards the GT. Call insurance, compare the rates on the two, we can only guess at that. Gas mileage you are fine with, so no issues there. I would, as mentioned, review the history of the car, if looks good, and car checks out, go for it. Plus you will have money left over for mods if you want, or just money left over for a rainy day fund.

2013 GT 6 spd, GT500 mufflers, BOSS quad exhaust, Roush CAI, Barton shifter & 2 post bracket
CS GT-40 Wheels, Hotchkis sway bars, upper and lower control arms, springs (1.1/1.6 drop) and adj panhard bar KONI yellow struts and shocks J&M caster/camber plates,
BMR Upper control arm mount and lower control arm brackets.

Apprentice
S197 Member

there's been more than one mustang in the past that I didn't much care for until it was started. Sometimes it's more the sound I like than anything else. Won't get that with a V6. I can buy any car with a V6 if that's what I wanted. Just my opinion.

2007 GT: JLT intake, SCT tuner, Eibach Pro-kit (springs + struts/shocks), Currie Adjustable LCA's with Johnny Joint, BMR relocation brackets, MAC axleback exhaust, Powerslot rotors, EBC redstuff pads, Steeda X5 balljoints
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page