observation from listening to exhaust vids vs real life - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-30-2014 Thread Starter
GT Member

observation from listening to exhaust vids vs real life

Hey everyone, I recently bought a 1993 F150 and I've been listening to a lot of exhaust clips on YouTube which can get frustrating and it reminded me of when I was doing the same thing for my Mustang and I realized something. Maybe this will help you out when deciding on what something "sounds like". I remember hearing some GT500 muffler videos and thinking it sounded pretty loud but everyone was saying they are too quiet. Well, same thing w/ the F150 clips. I heard a couple that people say their exhaust is quiet when to me it sounded kinda loud. Here's the thing, if they put the mic,camcorder, go pro etc right behind to next to the tail pipe it's going to sound much louder than if you were standing 10 feet from it or if it was driving by. I know that seems obvious, but if you are watching exhaust videos and the exhaust itself it's hitting the mic, forget about it, no way that is a good representation of what it sounds like. I've learned to ONLY pay attention to the ones that are pretty far away from the mic or a drive by is even better.

Anyways, that's all and hopefully this helps someone out who's out there listening to exhaust videos trying to figure out what sounds best. Thanks for reading

2012 black on black GT Premium Auto 6R80 - 400A
20 x 8.5" AR Torq Thrust M - BMR springs & Koni str.t shocks - GT500 mounts - J&M LCAs - CHE reloc brackets - J&M panhard - General GMAX AS3 - GT500 axel backs (no resonators) - GT500 spoiler - MMD tail light trim - Roush side splitters - AM upper/lower billet grill - Bama 93v2R tune - Airade CAI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-30-2014
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

It's very difficult to record accurate exhaust sounds. If the mike gets too close, you'll hear the 'wind' of the exhaust, and too far, you don't get much sound at all.

People have to keep in mind, too, that we're all limited by our sound cars and speakers. Most computers are NOT set up for fantastic sound quality, so often we end up with no bass tones, etc.

A few of my cars have been recorded for exhaust promo/tech videos, and even taking a dvd and putting it in my surround-sound system, none sounded anything like they do in reality.

Another issue is that many people record their vehicles in neutral, revving the engine. That is the WORST an engine will sound! They all sound far better when under load. The best method that I've seen is taping a high quality mike to the rear bumper between the tips and then driving the car. Ideally you won't get road/wind noise, but you will get the actual exhaust sound.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-31-2014
PONY Member

I've been lazy and haven't put up my new exhaust vid, but I recorded a before and after. For each portion I placed my mic right next to the exhaust, but also walked away to about 50 ft. The reasoning behind that was to give some sort of visual cue to how far away you can hear this exhaust. Which hopefully translates to a somewhat reliable way to interpret the loudness of the exhaust. Honestly maybe I'll put up a dB meter, I think the best way to measure is to actually show the people what dB it's at.

Videos do a horrible job at portraying sound, unless you have some amazing and expensive recording hardware and software. As an example, I'm glad AM has a lot of videos for most of their exhausts, but I can't really trust any of them. They all seem to be the same in loudness, and the only audible things I really can decipher are how many burps or gurgles does the exhaust get me.

The best comparisons are when people compare to stock. I think it's the best bet at getting something kinda accurate, because more than likely the person listening has your car and is stock and is also looking for an upgrade. Otherwise it's still kind of a crapshoot.

2014 Mustang GT 400A 6spd, Deep Impact Blue, Track Pack, Recaro Leather, Rear View Camera
Ordered:12/04/13 VIN: 12/10/13 Window Sticker Online: 12/19/13 Scheduled: 02/16/14 Built: 01/14/14 Original ETA: 01/13/14 Home: 01/29/14

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-31-2014
GT Member

You also have to be aware of your proximity to things that can absorb/reflect the sound. You have to find a piece of road with no foliage or buildings. I've seen guys make videos while the car was in a garage, next to a building, in a car wash stall, and all kinds of other stupid places, and it makes it impossible to determine what the exhaust really sounds like. Add to that the varying quality of microphones, and how your own viewing device is configured, and you quickly realize you actually have to lay ears on a given exhauist to get a true notion of it's sound.

Chasing exhaust is a pain in the ass, and I've come to the conclusion that the only place it matters is in the cockpit.

Sent from my toilet with Crapatalk v2
---------------------------------------------------------------

427w, Tremec Magnum XL, 3.73
Too many mods to list - go here: paddedwall.org/2012mustang/Default.aspx
(Intentionally pissing off badge Nazis everywhere)
Engine swap by Two Ten Performance (twotenperformance.com) in San Antonio
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-31-2014 Thread Starter
GT Member

Yeah very true on the revving in neutral thing JBT. Most people do that but it's not what it sounds like under load at all. Plus these videos on these older F150s is usually younger kids so when something is "too quiet" watch out, it's probably pretty loud just doesn't rattle windows so it's "quiet" lol

2012 black on black GT Premium Auto 6R80 - 400A
20 x 8.5" AR Torq Thrust M - BMR springs & Koni str.t shocks - GT500 mounts - J&M LCAs - CHE reloc brackets - J&M panhard - General GMAX AS3 - GT500 axel backs (no resonators) - GT500 spoiler - MMD tail light trim - Roush side splitters - AM upper/lower billet grill - Bama 93v2R tune - Airade CAI
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-09-2014
Apprentice

I'm very grateful for the videos, they helped me tremendously deciding on the sound I was looking for!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page