Autonomous Vehicles - Ford Mustang Forum
View Poll Results: Do you have any interest in Autonomous Vehicles?
No, absolutely no interest whatsoever. Would never consider one. 6 66.67%
Slightly curious, may have some use (barhopping, sleeping while commuting, etc.) 2 22.22%
I need to wait to see how the technology pans out first before making up my mind. 0 0%
Yes, but ONLY as a 2nd or 3rd or 4th vehicle. 1 11.11%
Yes! I never want to drive again! 0 0%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By JWally
  • 1 Post By Beechkid

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-30-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

Autonomous Vehicles

With the current push for autonomous or driverless vehicles, I can't help but keep thinking:

1) What is the main force pushing this upon the public? I don't see this as coming from consumer demand, it seems these vehicles are being foisted on the public from the auto companies or gov't for some reason.

2) Does anybody actually want one of these? I certainly am not interested. Maybe for a second or third car, but not for my primary vehicle.

3) They would take all the fun out of driving. Many people purchase daily drivers because they're fun to drive. I bought a Mustang for that very purpose.

4) The only reason I'd want one would be for long trips where I would like to sleep/relax. Or for going out drinking. If that would even be acceptable as a passenger in one of those things. Who knows what the rules would be?

90lxwhite likes this.

"The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-30-2016
GT Member
S197 Member

Garage
I have no interest whatsoever in owning one. On the other hand, my wife and daughter think it is the best thing since sliced bread.

Howelldaddy
89 LX Notch: Floo-Tek 5.0X heads, GT-40 intake, B-303 cam, Dynamic 3800 converter, 4.10:1 gears & lots of suspension work. 12.50 @ 106.42 MPH.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-30-2016
SHELBY GT 350 Member

One of the car mags said that human driven cars will eventually be like horses and you'll be able to use them in rural areas but won't be able to take them into the city.

My belief is they are safer then human driven vehicles already and that will become even obvious with improvements in technology and the growing trend of folks driving while texting/etc.

someone who enjoys driving for fun but the commute to work I can skip.

Wally,

Cool question and I like your signature.

Welcome to AFM

Mud

2012 V6 traded in for a 2017 VW GTI.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-30-2016
Apprentice

I like the idea of self driving cars because of the incredible technology and engineering behind it. However, I also love driving (and rowing gears, which is progressively getting harder to find cars that let you do that!). So, I think something like what tesla has with autopilot would be awesome, self driving when you turn it on, manual steering gas and brake when you want to do it yourself. I could see myself being okay with the car taking over for long trips, but I would want to do my daily drive myself.

TL;DR, love self driving cars, but don't want to ever see a car without a steering wheel or brake and gas (clutch!).

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2013 Race Red V6 Premium 6M w/ pony package. Borla ATAK Exhaust - Otherwise stock...for now.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-30-2016
GT Member

I think that the technology involved in building HAVs is interesting. In fact, I'd call it fascinating and impressive. I try to stay on top of the latest advances by Tesla, Google, etc., and it's neat to see what they've been able to accomplish so far.

But these systems can only do what they've been programmed to do. There are just too many random driving encounters out there for me to trust a computer to handle all of them. It seems like there's a new video every week or of Tesla drivers exploring the limits of their cars.

I keep an open mind that one day it will be advanced enough to truly take over driving duties, but until then I feel the need to be harsh and say "that's not good enough". Driving is just too complex for a computer to take over quite yet.

1995 Mustang GT (5.0), daily driver
1995 GMC C2500 (5.7), alternate daily driver
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-30-2016
Apprentice

Garage
I totally agree with this. Living around Seattle it would be so great to have that time wasted in traffic for something else. Or, I could put my son in the car and it could drive him to school. Then have the mUstang for fun times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
someone who enjoys driving for fun but the commute to work I can skip.

2010 GT Premium 5-speed w/ 3.73 - Acquired 08-2015

Pypes PypeBomb Axlebacks - MGW Shifter - BMR TCA032 LCA's - J&M Adj. UCA & Mount - BFG Comp 2 A/S - Powerstop Z26 Street Warrior Brake Kit -
Hoonigan & Rockstar Stickers (Worth 50hp right there)
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-02-2016
PONY Member
4.6L Member

Garage
I enjoy driving way too much to give it up

1997 Mustang Gt auto - White Rose - Custom 2in exhaust with headers and flowmasters and an offroad stock 2.25 in h pipe and custom bent 2.25 catback 3.08 rear end MM caster camber plates installed Kyb gr2s installed Ford racing c springs with polys isos all around SR performance upper and lower poly control arms pi head swap gt500 followers sr cold air intake hand ported stock plenum raxiom smoked halo headlights
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-02-2016
MACH I Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
1) I don't think anyone is pushing this. I believe someone came up with an idea and is running with it.
2) No. But if everyone gets one as a computer car, I see a smoother commute in our future.
3) it wouldn't be for fun. It could be like your personal bus ride to and from work. Doesn't that interest anyone who has to commute through hell everyday? But the only way it would be a totally relaxing ride is if everyone drove one.
4) With the technology now, depending on which level of autonomous car you have, you have to be ready to take the controls at any moment because of unknown situations to the system. No drinking or sleeping because right now,you might be the only person ridding in one surrounded by the usual daily idiots.

But think about it. If everyone took one of these to work, the cars would sence each other, roll at a similar pace and probably just about eliminate stop and go traffic. It should eliminate the slow guy in the far right lane, the jerk that cuts you off then hits his brakes cause his exit is coming up, it would take the moron factor away.
Now, do I see this happening anytime soon. Oh hell no!! You will need EVERYONE to be on board. I know that's the only way I'm going to get in one. I think someone was just killed in one this year. I think it tried to take on a tractor trailer.

08 GT 5spd
Spectra CAI, Comp Cam Detroit Rockers, Kooks headers w/catted H-pipe, Revolution Automotive dyno tuned, FB430 race mufflers, 3.55s, JLT catch can, BMR Lca's and relo brackets. Prothane motor mounts and sway bar bushings.
20% tint, smoked markers and tail lights w/sequentials. Clear front signal covers, series 3 chin spoiler.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-02-2016
MACH I Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Double post

08 GT 5spd
Spectra CAI, Comp Cam Detroit Rockers, Kooks headers w/catted H-pipe, Revolution Automotive dyno tuned, FB430 race mufflers, 3.55s, JLT catch can, BMR Lca's and relo brackets. Prothane motor mounts and sway bar bushings.
20% tint, smoked markers and tail lights w/sequentials. Clear front signal covers, series 3 chin spoiler.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-04-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

Interesting insights! I agree that if all cars are autonomous, then it would or could work better. Will the gov't then deem human driven cars as too dangerous and regulate them out of existence? Hopefully not in my lifetime.

"The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese."
BOSS Member

Although the tech is very interesting, it has substantial vulnerabilities. Like any tech-based new application, there are going to be challenges but IMHO, the 1st is that the tech promotes the driver to not take responsibility........a primary mistake that even google has seen repeatedly in it's own beta testing. Aside from that, the next biggest impactor is the purposeful remote taking of vehicle control for either prankster or criminal intent......demonstrated and validated by independent analysis and formally acknowledged by Federal Law Enforcement authorities, each car mfg vehicle including the highest end, are easily subject to remote take-over....this includes communication systems, steering (electric-based, below 30 mph), brakes, throttle, etc.

Lastly, let's take a look at the most advanced tech control in place....the Boeing Nex-Gen aircraft. Controlled from a "super-computer" in a highly secured underground facility in Washington (state), the current aircraft is completely controlled/flown remotely. As an example, each blade on each jet engine has a sensor, providing 5000 bits of info per second back to the "super-computer".....total data sent is around a trillion terabites per second from the aircraft......the super-computer determines the best altitude, speed and route to maximize fuel consumption and minimize maintenance.

While this all sounds impressive...are there issues yes, twice since the aircrafts were deployed & inflight, the flight crews were unable to invoke on-board override procedures (in essence the they were unable to take back control of the plane) requiring the "tech's" to literally hack into the system for the flight crew to regain control.

IMHO....

Is this safe....no
Not from an intentional or unintentional perspective.
Urambo Tauro likes this.

:hello:
Member: Never trust a person over 40 who drives a Chevy club
Flatheads ain't so bad!
Certified backyard mechanic I & II
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Autonomous Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWally View Post
With the current push for autonomous or driverless vehicles, I can't help but keep thinking:

1) What is the main force pushing this upon the public? I don't see this as coming from consumer demand, it seems these vehicles are being foisted on the public from the auto companies or gov't for some reason.

2) Does anybody actually want one of these? I certainly am not interested. Maybe for a second or third car, but not for my primary vehicle.

3) They would take all the fun out of driving. Many people purchase daily drivers because they're fun to drive. I bought a Mustang for that very purpose.

4) The only reason I'd want one would be for long trips where I would like to sleep/relax. Or for going out drinking. If that would even be acceptable as a passenger in one of those things. Who knows what the rules would be?

I concur with #4. I'd say "Ole Blue, take me to get f'd up please, and could you stop by Taco Bell on the way home?" It'd take me to the bar but the government probably has it programmed to take you straight to jail if you tell it to take you to Taco Bell after 2 am.
SHELBY GT 350 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
I have always said that they'll have to pry my steering wheel out of my cold, dead hands.

That said I could see some usefulness to automated cars.

The problem with automation, horror stories about computers aside, is what if your trip really isn't planned, at all? I sometimes leave my driveway, leave the neighborhood, get to the stoplight at the main drag and go, which way to I want to cruise today? There really is no way for me to "file a flight plan" if you will, for that kind of cruise. How is the car going to know where I want to go if I don't even know, I just want to cruise. To do that I will have to, oh the horror, actually turn my own steering wheel!

Now as far as to and from work, hell yeah, I already wish I could tell Sterling "just get my ass there and make it chop-chop cause I got things to do!"

Hers:2012 Mustang GT Premium,6M,Kona Blue Exterior/Charcoal Interior, 400A, HID/Security Pkg ,Comfort Pkg.
[COLOR="DimGray"][B]His: 2014 Mustang GT Premium,6M,Sterling Gray Exterior/Charcoal Interior,400A, Reverse Sensing/Security Pkg, Comfort Pkg SMR# 3635
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I just don't see how it will work in states where it snows and the roads are covered how will the car tell where the lanes are??also what about heavy rains when it washes mud and debris onto the road,I guess we will find out this winter when the fleet of autonomouse vehicles that uber uses in Pittsburgh works out.my prediction is the drivers in those cars will be doing all the driving.
PONY Member

Garage
Self driving cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by slorydn1 View Post
I could see some usefulness to automated cars.
I plan on driving my cars until I either die or driving is made illegal.
For all the other drivers on the road, my wife especially , they should have self-driving cars.
The Mustang drivers on this board are all exempted, of course.

"A thing of beauty is a joy forever; its loveliness increases; it will never pass into nothingness" – John Keats.

Where Mustangs Began: 1963 Ford Falcon Futura Hardtop with a 164 hp Challenger 260 V-8 and a Ford-O-Matic two-speed automatic transmission. "The Wonder Falcon".
2016 Ford Mustang GT Fastback with a 435 hp Coyote 5.0 L V-8 and a 6R80E six-speed automatic transmission. "Race Red".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page