Ford Mustang Forum banner

Sync 3 Update is here!

9K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  iseeu1001 
#1 ·
I know the Sync 3 integration for Car Play/Android Auto has been avail in the DIY crowd for a while now, but I spoke to my dealer last week. He told me Ford has released it for the 2016 models. So I had the update and hardware installed at my local dealership (I have a great dealership). Result=Apple Car play for my 2016 Mustang! For you Android lovers....You dont need the hardware installed just the software update (Mine was updated for free FYI). The Dealer ordered the USB and swapped it out (DIY guys can do this with little effort). So thought I would pass it along! Enjoy :grin:

#6 ·
My car auto updated to the new version using my home wireless router last night. I was on my computer when my router showed my Mustang connected via wifi. I went to the car, hit the Start Button without the brake and saw it was downloading the update. Shut the accessory mode off and went to bed, checked this morning and it was all complete. My cost was 1.6 GB of bandwidth used in the download. I'm allowed at least 40 GB per month and haven't been charged extra or suffered reduced speeds if I go slightly over, yet. I live in the country and use a wireless internet provider that is NOT satellite. Their antenna is about 1.5 miles to my house. My download speed is up to 6M.

Screen dumps from before, during and after the download as attached thumbnails.

Attachments

#8 ·
In the new version there is a search for updates option.

In the old version IIRC I turned the automatic update feature off and then back on at around 01:00 HRS PDT early morning of 07JUL17. The update completed 02:06:39 HRS PDT the same day.

You could always try using the USB stick method.

Attachments

#11 ·
Yeah that sucks! But I bit the bullet and installed the sync3 from 4D Tech. Worked great, but quite costly. I now have android auto and use google maps, works much better than the Ford NAV system. The unit I installed did not have the NAV module, but it was cheaper. I just updated the software from 2.3 to 3.0. Love it. >:)

#10 ·
Had my dealer do it back in August. the auto update wasn't getting it done.
Android Auto is amazing.
Have it paired with WAZE, Pandora and Amazon Music.

Getting phone and texts.

Be careful of one thing . WAZE is a data hog. If you don't have an unlimited plan you're going to run out.

I would imagine Apple Auto functions as well.

USAF

#14 ·
2016 Mustang GT Premium Sync 3 Won't Update

Just purchased a 2016 Mustang GT Premium over the weekend. Love it! I'm frustrated a little because the dealer said I was fully up to date technology wise, I was so excited didn't even think to check version #s... my mistake.

Got home and started playing with it and realized I'm sync 3 with nav but sitting at version 1.0. Would someone mind pointing me in the direction to be able to run apps? I've looked and tried everything to get any apps to work especially android auto, mainly waze. I need at latest version of sync, right?

I've setup wifi and connected to our googlefiber and it says up-to-date. I've even tried a different forms sync 3 v3 USB and it says it installed but then nothing. I see thread after thread on upgrading sync 3 without navigation but not much on sync 3 with nav... I've updated everything, phone, apps, car. I have a Note 8, tried my wife's Note 5 and used my iPhone and still nothing. Of course on owner.ford.com, it says I have the latest version. I don't think I do. Has anyone had this issue? I would hope ford would want to make this right. Just making sure I won't need to pay them more money to get me updated, hence the reason I was trying to do it myself.

Should I look to upgrade to v2 and then v3? Is that even an option? Anyone have links that would work? Man I want waze so bad.

Thanks for the help and sorry for the noob question.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.